Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,196Posts
    • 14,901Thanks
    oldtractor
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me
    • 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me 23rd Feb 17 at 12:14 PM
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
Page 2
    • PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 23rd Feb 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 7,859 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    OK...can't promise I'll keep this up but my intake today

1 apple
    1 tin veg soup
    1 banana
    1 portion grapes
    Some mixed veg from a frozen bag with tea...probably 80g..also some sauteed poatoes but I didn't think they count...
    A G&T with some blackberries in it...?
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 23rd Feb 17, 7:36 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    I've only just seen this, though someone was mentioning "10 a day" this afternoon.

I have a question about celery - three sticks is a portion. Is this three whole sticks, or three pieces out of one of those packs of 'trimmed celery', which are considerably shorter? I had two big sticks with my cheesy pasta tonight (plus a serving of butternut squash), and this seemed quite a lot.
    (Odd meal I know, but I came in not feeling like cooking!)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 23rd Feb 17, 7:37 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 6,631 Thanks
    katkin
    800g of mostly veg, some fruit a day, wow! I'd like to try it just to see if I can and keep it and my other nutritional needs such as fats, protein and carbs within that. And CALORIES!

I love my veg, but it's one thing that takes more time than anything else to prep. I also love my meat and fish and tatties... Looks like the tatties are going to be a major loss.

I'll give it a go on next week's menu plan. All and any ideas welcome on making that menu plan up.

It would be really helpful if we could come up with a decent priced, realistic menu plan for that kind of consumption that tastes good and is filling, nutritionally sound, fulfilling etc
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Feb 17, 8:03 PM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 43,998 Thanks
    meg72
    800g of mostly veg, some fruit a day, wow! I'd like to try it just to see if I can and keep it and my other nutritional needs such as fats, protein and carbs within that. And CALORIES!

I love my veg, but it's one thing that takes more time than anything else to prep. I also love my meat and fish and tatties... Looks like the tatties are going to be a major loss.

I'll give it a go on next week's menu plan. All and any ideas welcome on making that menu plan up.

It would be really helpful if we could come up with a decent priced, realistic menu plan for that kind of consumption that tastes good and is filling, nutritionally sound, fulfilling etc
    Originally posted by katkin
    Ill will miss tatties too but a carrot and swede mash isn't too bad and of course sweet potato counts. I`m going to try to make a bubble and squeak type thingy.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • Clytemnestra
    • By Clytemnestra 23rd Feb 17, 8:17 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Clytemnestra
    It's interesting to see how everyone is doing with this. I have just started trying to up my fruit and veg intake, but wasn't aiming for a particular number. I have recently started eating porridge for breakfast, which I have with fruit and nuts; before that I was't eating much fruit.

Today's menu:

Porridge with banana, raspberries and ground almonds (2)
    Mid morning snack of some baby carrots with a few walnuts (1)
    Wholemeal pitta with peanut butter and a salad of spinach, sweetcorn, carrot and red onion (probably not enough of everything for 4 - perhaps 3?)
    Afternoon snack of an apple (1)
    But then tea was pretty much a re-run of lunch, except with potatoes instead of pitta bread - so not sure how to count it (another 3, or not?)

Ah well - it is an improvement on my previous diet, and I will try to get more variety

Partly it's remembering to keep buying different veg.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 23rd Feb 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 5,760 Thanks
    caronc
    I love root veg mash as a sub for "ordinary mash" - I do equal weights of tatties, carrots and parsnips tried other combos but this one hits the spot for me so 2/3 of a portion is veg that counts. Still gives the tattie hit but not too sweet for my taste. I like celeriac too but pricey addition as I can only get wee ones for over £1
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • katkin
    • By katkin 23rd Feb 17, 8:27 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 6,631 Thanks
    katkin
    Thanks for the great ideas. Since I love my veg, salad and fruit I think I can do this within 1,200- 1,500 cals.

Can we thing of the cost, how to make it as cheap as possible and easy to do, taste good too. I'm lucky enough to have a good stock cupboard of herbs, spices and condiments but it you'll be great to get an agreed menu plan out there that maybe MSE could promote in response to this 10 a day call....at what cost?

I don't always have much to space £s on extras, if I can manage this minimally and whatnot I think there's something in that for us to promote to help others.

Thankfully I love cabbage!
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 23rd Feb 17, 9:07 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    I would say variety is key rather than specific quantities of stuff. A salad with 6 items is better than a salad with 3 items, regardless of quantity. Also, eat a lot of colours and you know you have had a good variety.
    Mixed veg beats just peas.
    I was told that your own 'portion' is what will fit in your own hand.
    So, a handful of mixed veg = 1 portion. 1 handful each of 3 different veg = 3 portions. Different hands for different folks.

Today-

Breakfast - banana and cream = 1
    Lunch - salad - tomato/cucumber/pepper/beetroot [w/cheese, sausage and eggs] = 4
    Dinner - cabbage, peas, potato [with pork chops] = 3
    Dessert - banana and cream = 1 [does two bananas count as only one banana?]
    Mixed red fruit tea at bedtime = 1 ... maybe

Total = 8, 9 or 10 ...
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Feb 17, 8:35 AM
    • 21,697 Posts
    • 43,602 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    What list are you using?

On everyone I have looked at comes out as 5.

100g mushrooms 1
    1 tomato 1
    100g baked beans 1
    100g pineapple 1
    1 banana 1

Mushrooms and Banana are both on the lists. Mushroom is a veg and banana a fruit.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Forget the "list", look at the nutritional content. This is where a bit of common sense comes in.

I wouldn't touch the beans either as they are swimming in sugar, ditto the pineapple.

Mushrooms (protein) and tomatoes (f) are nutritionally sound choices though. And the banana is under-ripe, so that's much better than dark.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 24th Feb 17, 9:06 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    In terms of eating 10 a day, no-one needs to eat 10 FULL portions of veg or fruit.
    So long as the body is getting 10 different fruits and veg a day and has the different vitamins and minerals to work with, you will feel much healthier.

You can take 10 a day in one glass.
    Blend
    spinach
    carrot
    garlic
    cucumber
    celery
    apple
    banana
    parsley
    blueberries
    kale

Easy....job done and if this is on top of your normal meals, you will feel great.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 24th Feb 17, 9:10 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Forget the "list", look at the nutritional content. This is where a bit of common sense comes in.

I wouldn't touch the beans either as they are swimming in sugar, ditto the pineapple.

Mushrooms (protein) and tomatoes (f) are nutritionally sound choices though. And the banana is under-ripe, so that's much better than dark.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It doesn't matter whether something is protein or carbohydrate.
    The only thing that matters is the micro-nutrients that the foods contain.

But I agree that beans shouldn't be included because the sugar outweighs any goodness the beans might have.
    • medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 24th Feb 17, 9:15 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 5,722 Thanks
    medsdemon
    I've tried this before and found it quite hard to keep up. Generally I think I do okay.

Yesterday : toast and marmite for breakfast (0)
    Snack : banana (1)
    Lunch : big mixed salad of leaves various, cabbage, tomatoes, carrot and a little grated cheese (2/3) 2 tiny bite size millionaires
    Dinner: home made veggie chilli ( beans/tinned toms/ leek/ peppers/ mushrooms) with brown rice and guacamole and sour cream dips and tortilla chips and a glass of wine (2/3)
    Cream egg

So possibly 7 ish but my portion size is small at my main meal as I'm a small person, but my salad was big.

I struggle with consuming fruit as it's not my favourite thing to grab, but if I added a couple of bits I suppose it would be achievable.

Ps I don't normally eat 2 lots of chocolate in a day. It's been a tough week and I needed a treat

I used to buy Delicious magazine and I remember an article with lots of recipes for the 5 a day in one meal and tried a few at the time, but I think I've lost it now.

Today : 2 slices of fruit loaf ( 1 as dried fruit counts as a portion )
    Lunch will be a portion of veggie chilli and brown rice left over ( 2) and an orange (1)
    Snack will be a raw carrot ( 1) and olives before dinner ( do they count?). (1)
    Dinner possibly homemade falafel burgers with salad, the leftover dips, a pitta and a few chips and wine as it's Friday (3) = 8 ish total

I thin I may average about 7 normally by the looks of it, but as others have said adding in more will mean I maybe eat more than I physically need to run my body.
    Last edited by medsdemon; 24-02-2017 at 9:21 AM.
    [January GC : £265.97/£250 NSD:7
    Feb GC: £131.58/200 NSD:6
    • meg72
    • By meg72 24th Feb 17, 10:35 AM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 43,998 Thanks
    meg72
    I've only just seen this, though someone was mentioning "10 a day" this afternoon.

I have a question about celery - three sticks is a portion. Is this three whole sticks, or three pieces out of one of those packs of 'trimmed celery', which are considerably shorter? I had two big sticks with my cheesy pasta tonight (plus a serving of butternut squash), and this seemed quite a lot.
    (Odd meal I know, but I came in not feeling like cooking!)
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I`ve just weighed 1 big stick and it comes to 82g so think this must refer to 3 of the small ones.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • meg72
    • By meg72 24th Feb 17, 10:50 AM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 43,998 Thanks
    meg72
    It doesn't matter whether something is protein or carbohydrate.
    The only thing that matters is the micro-nutrients that the foods contain.

But I agree that beans shouldn't be included because the sugar outweighs any goodness the beans might have.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate

Beans are included in the NHS 5 a day recommendations for good reason i.e. protein, fibre, nutrients etc. I buy the reduced sugar and as a portion is 1/4 can that's just over 1g . Not excessive by any means.

I have followed Slimming World plan for two years, I lost almost 4 stone and have been at target for over a year now. Beans are a free food on this plan.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • meg72
    • By meg72 24th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 43,998 Thanks
    meg72

Originally posted by VfM4meplse

My common sense tells me to be guided by the advice given by the
    NHS rather than personal opinions so will stick to their list.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 24th Feb 17, 11:48 AM
    • 9,216 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 24th Feb 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 22,931 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I guess you bean baked beans are high in sugar not beans themselves?
    Today I should just about manage 10

muesli with dried fruit (1)
    1/3 of honey melon for snack (1)
    1 apple (1)
    later I'll have 2 carrots for snack (2)
    sauerkraut snack and pickled onion (weird I know but its 1)
    salad for lunch with kinder beans, tomatoes, cucumber etc (2)
    the green beans with dinner (1)
    After dinner snack of fruit (1)

Makes 9

I should definitely up my veg rations vs the fruit ones to reduce the sugar intake. Will work on that next week.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 24th Feb 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 22,931 Thanks
    thriftylass
    May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    How about eggs with spinach/tomato
    Smoothie
    Avocado, bacon sandwich

You can also find recipes for pale pancakes/muffins that you can to with any fruit or add veg to
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 24th Feb 17, 12:31 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Where I live, lunch always starts with soup, salad or both, smallish helping but a great way to up the count.

So far today, 50g blueberries, half a banana, 200ml beetroot juice, a plate of spinach with 1/2 arvo and an apple....there was other stuff too...

This evening parsnip pilau which has also lentils...and a pumpkin curry beside...
    So should get there.

When the children were young, I had four allotments and we ate what was there...possibly 8 a day..but I would would have not been able to do that without growing them myself...with six it would have been expensive and heavy on the bus!

No point getting stressed.....a fun challenge for those who like a challenge....so enjoy
    • meg72
    • By meg72 24th Feb 17, 12:47 PM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 43,998 Thanks
    meg72
    https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/5-a-day-pizza.html

Love the look of this
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter