Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 7th Oct 08, 2:00 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    0 WOW
    Section 75 refunds - article discussion
    • 7th Oct 08, 2:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Section 75 refunds - article discussion 7th Oct 08 at 2:00 PM

This discussion relates to the Section 75 refunds article

Click reply to discuss.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:41 PM.
Page 63
    • derrick
    • By derrick 4th Dec 16, 9:10 AM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    derrick
    Santander declined my claim (sent me a letter) by saying that I don't qualify for S75 because I've paid the deposit with my debit card!.
    Do I have to write to Financial Ombudsman Service now ? or can I raise a complaint in Santander itself ?
    Originally posted by VSN127

Santander are wrong, any amount paid by credit in what ever order is covered by S75 as long as the other criteria are met, i.e. product between £100- 30000.

Request a review from Santander then if same outcome complain to the FOS.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 5th Dec 16, 2:47 PM
    • 11,497 Posts
    • 11,163 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Santander declined my claim (sent me a letter) by saying that I don't qualify for S75 because I've paid the deposit with my debit card!.
    Originally posted by VSN127
    The chances are they didn't realise that you paid some of it with your credit card.
    • jsh99
    • By jsh99 8th Dec 16, 11:33 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    jsh99
    holiday deposit
    Hi all,

Quick question please...

If I pay a deposit in euro for a holiday in Italy via Transferwise using my credit card am I covered for the holiday by section 75 or is this classed as using an intermediate?

Ta in advance.
    • Lisa Quinn
    • By Lisa Quinn 16th Dec 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisa Quinn
    My understanding of s75 is that it applies exclusively to the card account holder who must have purchased the item themselves and that's why second card holders on same acct are not covered. Therefore I think it unlikely that an executor would hold the rights... but it never hurts to ask.
    • JxY
    • By JxY 21st Dec 16, 11:26 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JxY
    Hi all,

Hope you can offer some advice. I bought a tablet a week and 12 months ago off Amazon. It has now developed a fault/broken, it wasn't excessively used, thrown about etc. It's clear that it wasn't fit for purpose or one of the components was a dud. I paid for it on credit card.

It was over £100 (and under £30k... as you would expect). Am I able to use Section 75 to get a refund? The manufacturer won't entertain me because it's out of warranty (by a week!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The credit card is with RBS.

JxY
    • Brannan
    • By Brannan 22nd Dec 16, 1:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brannan
    Hi All,

I have made a request for a refund from Tesco CC under Section 75 as I was scammed by a car repaired company. However they have declined my request stating that I haven't provided them with sufficient evidence to prove that I did not get what I paid for however they could not tell me what I would need to provide to prove this.

I am at a loss and need some help as this whole situation has caused me financial strain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 23rd Dec 16, 12:20 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    Help please!
    Hello, please can anyone advise me? I am claiming under Section 75 to Capital one for the purchase of a used 2004 reg car. It cost £650 and I bought it on 19 May 2016. It passed the MOT in August and sprung an oil leak in September. I took it back to the retailer, a garage mechanic rather than a used sales person, and asked for a refund but was refused. I've had two independent quotes, one written and one verbal, for £650/750 to repair. The car also sprung a leak inside and whenever it rains I have to bail out water in the driver's footwell. I've been able to use the car for only six months because in November, all the dashboard lights lit up like a Christmas tree. I've sent all the documents and details off to Capital One who today phoned me and accused me, among other things, of suffering from buyer's remorse. I really am mortified. During our quite heated conversation today, I felt I was being accused of being a fraudster, as well as being acrimonious towards the retailer, which is not true. The Capital One person repeated that the car was fit for purpose when it was sold and also passed the MOT so no-one is responsible. I repeated several times that I was not and am not allocating any blame. What I am saying is that the car lasted only four months before the oil started to leak. I am not sure if the credit company will, or is allowed to, chase the retailer for the money if I am successful in my claim to Capital One. I'm not sure if I have any hope in hell of winning this, but I started it because on Martin's page he quite confidently asserts that we're all legally entitled to claim, and that anything we buy has to be fit for purpose and to last a reasonable length of time. Even if it's a second hand car. I don't think 4 months is reasonable. Please can someone advise? I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - and I don't want to lose money but fear I will because I'm going to have to have a roadworthy car, whatever happens. Many thanks, in advance. Please don't be scathing or sarcastic, my query is genuine and I expect the same in response. I don't want the retailer to lose out because obviously he had no idea the car would turn out to be a load of rubbish but it has. Thank you!
    Last edited by MalMonroe; 23-12-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: my mistakes
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 23rd Dec 16, 12:27 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    Hi all,

Hope you can offer some advice. I bought a tablet a week and 12 months ago off Amazon. It has now developed a fault/broken, it wasn't excessively used, thrown about etc. It's clear that it wasn't fit for purpose or one of the components was a dud. I paid for it on credit card.

It was over £100 (and under £30k... as you would expect). Am I able to use Section 75 to get a refund? The manufacturer won't entertain me because it's out of warranty (by a week!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The credit card is with RBS.

JxY
    Originally posted by JxY
    Hello, have you tried asking Amazon? They always say to appeal to the retailer first. You never know, they may help, goodwill and all that, and it IS Christmas! Good luck.
    • be96erj
    • By be96erj 9th Jan 17, 4:21 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    be96erj
    do I have a claim?
    I purchased a bed from a company called bedshed.com, about 6 months after using the bed, the slats in the frame broke on one side, just from sitting on it. I called the company bensons 4 beds (who bought out bedshed) and they sent someone to fix the bed. A few days later, the same thing happened. Clearly this was a manufacturing fault. I phoned bensons asking for a replacement bed, they replied they no longer sell the bed, but they could offer me a credit to buy a new bed. The problem is, I do not like any of the beds sold on the bensons website, therefore I have asked the company for a refund. They have refused this. They say my only option is to get another bed.

Do I have any rights under s75 in order to get my money back given that it is unreasonable to expect me to buy a bed that I do not even like?
    • Willow100
    • By Willow100 15th Jan 17, 7:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Willow100
    Flight Purchase
    Hi.
    I purchased a Virgin Airline return flight from a travel agent. They have booked a Delta Airline ticket for the outward leg instead of a Virgin airline ticket and a Virgin Airline ticket for the return leg.
    I do not want to be associated with Delta Airlines.

The paperwork issued upon purchase indicates Virgin Airline tickets with no mention of Delta Airlines.

I have been in touch with the Travel Agent but they refuse to change this to all Virgin tickets.

Do I have a claim under section 75?

Thanks in advance
    • gingerfail
    • By gingerfail 16th Jan 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gingerfail
    Car Deposit Refund
    Hi all,

I have began a dispute via my Asda credit card over a car deposit i put down.

The dispute is based upon the principle that i put a deposit down to pic the car up as of Friday 13th(bad choice of day really) as i had to hand back a car i had returned through voluntary termination.
    When i came to the dealer to pick up he told me that the car was not ready because when doing a service they found that there was an additional error that was not known beforehand that they were fixing for me, but decided not to tell me this until the day i was meant to pick up the car and when i was standing in the office wanting to drive away. In the week and a half they had since my deposit was placed they had somehow put an MOT on the car even though it was a faulty parking brake that was causing the issue and refused to let me see the car when i turned up.

I allowed two more days and this was not ready still so i told them i was not taking it anymore and therefore wanted my deposit back. they agreed and told me to come into the office, then changed their minds when i drove there and told me nothing was being returned to me.

Now they are avoiding my calls completely and I have informed them i will be claiming through my credit card

So i never received the car or took ownership of the car and have spoken to Asda/creation to get the ball rolling on a claim.

Anyone else had any issues similar? If so what was the outcome?

Thanks
    • charlotte4940
    • By charlotte4940 17th Jan 17, 12:26 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    charlotte4940
    Imac not arrived
    Hi, I purchased an Imac online from a website that was overseas. It cost me £865 on my tesco credit card. 5 weeks later the Imac has not arrived. I have contacted the company several times. 1st it was it is in the delivery process etc then in was we have ran out of stock. At this point I asked for a refund. They said ok but to date I have no refund. They are not replying to me. I have a reciept. The reciept is from the website i purchased it on but the payment is showing as a different website on my statement. Is this going to be a problem?
    Savings - £1050.00
    • quadrille
    • By quadrille 24th Jan 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quadrille
    S75.and claims
    One of those who got caught by SMS Legal, U Legal, Scarlet Services. Now told by the
    McAlister & Co "insolvency practitioners" to claim back from card provider under section 75.
    Has anyone been fortunate with a refund.
    • capstain411
    • By capstain411 26th Jan 17, 7:26 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    capstain411
    Car deposit refund. Section75
    Hi all.

Found a car through Volvo dealer last Saturday. Asking price £17.5k.

Paid £100 deposit to reserve car on credit card.

Car is HPI clear, but insurance database lists car involved in accident resulting in£15k claim.

It might be car is not damaged, but dealers not confirming this in writing. They are not denying nor confirming. I do not want to take this risk especially will such a large purchase.

There has been cases in past where warranty has been denied citing accident damage. A google search will bring case discussed on MSE?

I have asked dealer for written response 3 times. They are happy to talk over phone, but not reply to email. Sounds dodgy.

How do I go about requesting refund. Requests for refund have gone unheard as well.

Can I get credit card company to refund money.

I will be reporting dealership to Volvo and trading standards.
    • Holmes25
    • By Holmes25 22nd Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Holmes25
    Hi all,

I hired a car back in august whilst getting married in Italy. I paid £700+ upfront for the car hire. On arriving home I have had numerous additional payments taken out of my credit card account. (£162 on 2nd Sept, £40 on 9th Nov and TODAY £943.54!!!!) this is ridiculous! I have contacted my bank (halifax) and they cancelled the card straight away and have said as I previously went with the company I need to wait until my new card arrives then put in a dispute credit card claim....however, the company has just gone into administration...where do I now stand???? Do I ring Halifax back and say I want to make a Section 75 claim or do I wait and start a dispute? I'm so confused!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 23rd Feb 17, 9:51 AM
    • 8,679 Posts
    • 12,552 Thanks
    meer53
    Hi all,

I hired a car back in august whilst getting married in Italy. I paid £700+ upfront for the car hire. On arriving home I have had numerous additional payments taken out of my credit card account. (£162 on 2nd Sept, £40 on 9th Nov and TODAY £943.54!!!!) this is ridiculous! I have contacted my bank (halifax) and they cancelled the card straight away and have said as I previously went with the company I need to wait until my new card arrives then put in a dispute credit card claim....however, the company has just gone into administration...where do I now stand???? Do I ring Halifax back and say I want to make a Section 75 claim or do I wait and start a dispute? I'm so confused!
    Originally posted by Holmes25
    You don't need to wait until your new card arrives, just call Halifax and tell them you want to dispute the transaction as unrecognised. What did you do about the previous transactions which debited last year ? You can still dispute transactions when a company is in administration.
    • Bird69
    • By Bird69 24th Feb 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bird69
    Mobile phone
    Hi all,

I bought a one plus 3 mobile phone back in June 2016, it has now occurred a fault where it won't charge any more. I have contacted them for a refund, but there reluctant to give me one, stating that they only issue refunds within the 1st 30 days.

I bought the phone with my credit card. Am I able to claim under S75?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 24th Feb 17, 10:10 AM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    derrick
    Hi all,

I bought a one plus 3 mobile phone back in June 2016, it has now occurred a fault where it won't charge any more. I have contacted them for a refund, but there reluctant to give me one, stating that they only issue refunds within the 1st 30 days.

I bought the phone with my credit card. Am I able to claim under S75?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Bird69

Have a read:-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• TVPIPE
    • By TVPIPE 28th Feb 17, 10:07 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    TVPIPE
    Section 75 - 3 month delay
    I am trying to make a Section 75 claim against my HSBC card. I registered the claim last November, and submitted the required evidence and then heard nothing. I telephoned HSBC regarding this and was advised that there was a 3 month backlog on cases- so they haven't even started looking at my case.

Surely HSBC have to adhere to a strict timeframe regarding Section 75 claims?

Would it accelerate matters if I went straight to the Ombudsman and complained regarding the delay?
    • Ulti
    • By Ulti 16th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ulti
    Hi All,

I just wanted some confirmation on whether or not I can claim.

My situation is that I bought a phone for around £200 from aliexpress (overseas version of eBay essentially) using my Santander Credit Card in Sep 2016. The phone arrived sometime in Nov 2016. Fast forward to Jan 2017 and the phone stops turning on/doesn't charge. I did some research and asked the seller for help. The seller initially pretended to help but stopped replying and ignored me completely. I then went directly to aliexpress customer support and talked with them roughly every week or so asking for them to do something. They kept offering to investigate but till this day, every time I log onto their live chat customer support they always ask me to repeat the issue and send them evidence over and over again which I believe they're just wasting my time with. The phone is in a spotless condition without a single scratch and has never been dropped etc and it's ridiculous that it stopped working after a mere 3 months and a bit.

My main worry is that it was bought from aliexpress and also I pay back my credit card bills in full monthly so I've already paid back the balance - would these two stop me from claiming under S75?

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

8,548Users online

Martin's Twitter