Change from integrated washer/dryer to freestanding?

Options
We have recently moved and it has an integrated washer/dryer. This was great as we need both (would of preferred separated but no room for them in the property).

The washer/dryer here is really on its way out though. It's at least 12 years old and a normal 40 degree wash takes nearly 3 hours :eek: it sounds like a jumbo taking off and it's making an horrendous noise when it is on.

So we looked at the prices of a decent Bosch integrated washer/dryers and it's about £8-900!! Wow!! We can get a freestanding one for about 500.

Is it easy to change to a freestanding one? Is it a matter of just cutting the plinth at the bottom down to remove it from the bottom? What else would need to be done?

Comments

• ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most important thing to note that the gap for your integrate will be 600mm. The freestanding will be 600mm wide but you need to allow a few more mm either side to be able to slide in it and take it out.
    Also it will protrude from under your worktop
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why buy a Bosch? There are plenty of other decent brands a lot cheaper.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We're just having a new kitchen put in with integrated appliances apart from the washer-dryer. I chose to stick with a freestanding one because you get so much more choice with freestanding and integrated seem smaller.

I don't have much that's useful to add, except to say that if a shorter standard wash cycle is a big part of your reason for getting a new machine (maybe your old one could be fixed?), check manuals carefully before you buy! Both of the machines I've had in recent years (both bought new) have had standard cycles of around 3 hours. I think that's common in newer machines which don't use as much water so need the extra wash time. Both have had quicker 'eco' washes at around 1.5 hours (wash only) and a quick wash at 30 mins or 45 mins to wash and dry, but they aren't standard cycles and the quick wash is for a couple of items only. Properly dirty stuff needs the longer cycles so maybe 3 hours to wash and another 3 to dry.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    We're just having a new kitchen put in with integrated appliances apart from the washer-dryer. I chose to stick with a freestanding one because you get so much more choice with freestanding and integrated seem smaller.

I don't have much that's useful to add, except to say that if a shorter standard wash cycle is a big part of your reason for getting a new machine (maybe your old one could be fixed?), check manuals carefully before you buy! Both of the machines I've had in recent years (both bought new) have had standard cycles of around 3 hours. I think that's common in newer machines which don't use as much water so need the extra wash time. Both have had quicker 'eco' washes at around 1.5 hours (wash only) and a quick wash at 30 mins or 45 mins to wash and dry, but they aren't standard cycles and the quick wash is for a couple of items only. Properly dirty stuff needs the longer cycles so maybe 3 hours to wash and another 3 to dry.

All the machines I have had in the past it's about 1:40 for a standard 40 degree wash. 3 hours seems very excessive. In my last rental place it was an indesit. And before that I had a Bosch that was about the same time length.

The machine we have now inherited with the property doesn't even have a quick wash option. It holds half the load for washing (I know it doesn't hold much for drying as washer/dryers never do) than a freestanding approx only 3-4kg. With a teenager and a baby on the way I can see washing backing up!!
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did this and although the door looked nicer I wasn't prepared to pay the dearer price for a new integrated. When I cut the plinth I didn't do a great job and I intended to put something on the raw edge so it didn't look unfinished but I never got around to it. Also because the plinth bracket was pretty much central to the machine I now only have one at each end of the run so just before the machine and just after the plinth has no hold and nowhere to put a new bracket and I intended to fix that somehow but never got around to it so every now and then I push it into place with my foot and make a mental note that I must somehow finish that job. The new machine fits perfectly and doesn't stick out. There is a one inch gap between the top and the worktop which is handy for storing my chopping board. I did measure very carefully and some machines would not have fitted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure