money saving tips

Options

Comments

• PinkPoppies
    Options
    My tip is- before you go food shopping in the first place have a good hard look at your cupboards and freezer! It's amazing the delicious concoctions that can come about if you get a bit creative!
    Total Starting Debt August 2014- £38,061
    Current Debt- £3600

Mortgage Offset Savings- £600
    90.5% paid off so far...
  • mobo1980
    mobo1980 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave my purse at home when i go to work so I don't buy carp :)

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • curiousralphy
    Options
    Work out what kind of spender you are and find a method that works for you. If you like to buy lots of things, then shop less frequently. If you find that you buy things and don't use them, you need to make a list and shop that way.

For example - I'm terrible with food shopping and will spend too much on expensive items. Having one big budget doesn't work for me as I just spend it all at the beginning on what I like and end up going over budget later in the month when we run out of money. I don't last eating cheap meals all the time either, I get bored. For me I split the money into a daily amount, so for a month budget of £300 I put £10 a day into the shopping wallet. I can shop where I want, when I want and I can buy what I want, the only thing I have to do is use only what's in the wallet. That way I can go to the shop and blow £30 on one dinner but there will be another £10 in the wallet the next day so I have a few days of cheap meals after the big blowout.

I think that budgets are basically a compromise of what you want and what you need, if you can set it up to get a bit of what you want regularly but not as often as you would like then you'll be OK, but if you have long periods of only getting the necessities then you're less likely to stick to it.
  • Danzo100
    Danzo100 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    JasX wrote: »
    *unsure if genuinely stupid or just trolling*

Did you not see somebody do just that during one of the worlds biggest cheapskate programmes ? Unbelievable
  • maganan
    maganan Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Freeze your bread and only take out what you need when you need it.
    If you need sweets, those own brand bars which are a quarter of the price aint that bad ;)
    Use one of those shower scrubby things instead of just your hands, you need a fraction of the shower gel you'd otherwise use!
    Don't throw out bottles of cleaning products when there is just a bit left in the bottom, turn them upside down and leave them but if that doesn't work add a drop of water, shake and leave for a few minutes :)

MB

Also do this with ketchup etc and hand creams cut the top third off the tube to reach what others throw away and then cover with the bit you cut off
    Final no going back LBM 20/12/10
    Debt Jan 2011 [STRIKE]£28217.65[/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE] DMP start 01/02/11 -[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Debt free[STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]26 September 2014 :):beer:
    £2 Savers Club - 2012 no 105 2012 Sealed pot challenge no 1282 DMP mutual support thread No 405
    Proud to HAVE dealt with my debts:j
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Danzo100 wrote: »
    Did you not see somebody do just that during one of the worlds biggest cheapskate programmes ? Unbelievable

I did, and it wasn't just Lasagna either!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10269205/Why-using-the-dishwasher-is-the-latest-cooking-phenomenon.html

MB
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have a dishwasher, break the tablets in half as it only needs half to clean everyday pots (use a full one if anything is baked on).

Don't use fabric softener, except with towels.

Ask for toiletries for Christmas/birthdays then you don't have to buy them throughout the year.

Shop at Aldi and get the £5 off a £40 shop voucher in the paper each month (think its in the Daily Star, usually on the last Thursday of the month).
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • onlygoingforward
    Options
    Some good tips on here.

I apply for freebies, perfume samples and savvy circle for trials I have a good collection of stuff from room sprays, dishwasher tablets, nice perfume samples and creams. I also use these in a home made cracker for secret Santa at work and do a pot of gold style thing for my family and bulk it up with freebies they like.
    “What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain.”Maya Angelou
    Payoff some debt by xmas 2015
    #93 £943.65 / £15000:santa2:
  • john1986
    john1986 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    some of these are really good, already swapped to lidl and farmfoods and noticed the difference
  • Willowpop
    Options
    Fmess wrote: »
    If you have a dishwasher, break the tablets in half as it only needs half to clean everyday pots (use a full one if anything is baked on).

I used to do this and then found this kind of stuff on ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-IN-1-DISHWASHER-POWDER-10-KGS-CRUSHED-TABLETS-9-99-600-WASHES-/131323894146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e93839982

I'm not sure if this is the exact seller I bought from, but it was the same sort of product. I have a massive tub and use a teaspoon per load, so it'll last for AAAAGES, and my dishes are just as clean as when I was buying tablets.
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure