PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• squidgeworth
    squidgeworth Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    tell the family that your economies are in order to "save the planet" and help "us lead a more green life". Saves a fortune if nothing at all is wasted and they don't feel as badly done by. It helps with street cred at school so they don't feel like the class paupers as well
  • d-seven
    d-seven Posts: 351 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When I wash up, I always wash the least soiled items (normally glasses or cups) first then work my way up to the most soiled ones. This means I dont have to change the water as often as I would if I dumped all plates glasses etc in the bowl together, because it stays cleaner for longer there by saving on water and washing up liquid!
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Options
    if you live in university town(we are so lucky to be able to drive to cambridge)check out the collage websites for concerts.we have been to some fantastic(mostly classical) ones at bargain prices as they are aimed at student pockets.Last night saw a great opera singer and pianist for £8 including glass of (collage) wine at half time in a lovely old building.Also if you like church music there are term time services any one can go to(ok we are v v lucky and see Kings choristers whenever we like)

there are often student theatre productions around as well.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d-seven wrote: »
    When I wash up, I always wash the least soiled items (normally glasses or cups) first then work my way up to the most soiled ones. This means I dont have to change the water as often as I would if I dumped all plates glasses etc in the bowl together, because it stays cleaner for longer there by saving on water and washing up liquid!

Yes, we were taught that at school. Also to rinse everything in cold water first.
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosemary54 wrote: »
    after watching 10 years younger when the resident dentist said electric toothbrushes clean your teeth much better I bought 1 from tesco for about £14(they vary from about £10 to £35).not only do my teeth look much whiter but i find I only use about a third the amount of toothpaste :)bad mark to tesco tho(and the biggest chain of chemists) as they don't sell the refil heads BUT you can get them by post from the manufacturers post free .. and they cost no more than a manual toothbrush.not a massive saving but one that saves money with time and is better for your teeth :)

If its not Tescos own brand and you tell us the make we might be able to tell you where to get new heads from.

xxp00
  • rosemary54
    Options
    p00 wrote: »
    If its not Tescos own brand and you tell us the make we might be able to tell you where to get new heads from.

xxp00
    sorry if I was not clearwhen I said you can get them post free I know where to get them,didn't mention brands as not sure if its ok to "advertize" here!I looked on the pack and emailed the firm and they gave me details of how to get them
  • DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello from a longtime lurker :wave:

I'm wondering too about the toothbrushes as I have two electric toothbrushes but BOTH the chargers have "walked" off *rolls eyes*

Thanks for the idea - I'll contact the manufacturers and keep you posted.

btw, thanks for all the ideas - they're inspiring and it helps keep the "show the chancellor how it SHOULD be done" effort going in a much more amusing way. Maybe we should email him and let him in on the secrets!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Cornishpixie_2
    Options
    Hi, re adapters for electric toothbrushes, you maybe able to use a shaving adapter. I only know because one of my adapters was suddenly used for my hubby's electric razor. Hth's:D
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is fab, I'm now on page 18, reading them ALL! Can someone answer some questions for me as I want to put them into operation this weekend.

Firstly, if I were to add grated carrots to a bolognese sauce, could we REALLY not be able to taste it? I've added (at different times!) carrots, oats and lentils, the only time anyone noticed was lentils in a lasagne - and they thought it was a health kick!
    I am making a beef bourgignon tihs weekend. What would people suggest I add to that to bulk it up? I will add mushrooms to it anyway. When would I add the extra veg? I chuck in leftover cooked vegetables towards the end, I've even liquidized a tin of baked beans and stirred it into a stew - it was a bit pasty, but the kids enjoyed the taste despite hating baked beans :rotfl: I was hoping to bulk it up so that I would not need to eat it with potato to cut down on my calores. However, would replacing potato with beans or lentils or vegetables be a calorie-efficient way of doing it? Would it be just as healthy eating the mashed potato? don't know the answer, but pulses are quite high in protein so could easily be more calorific than non-buttery potatoes

Secondly, People have mentioned that the neck of lamb or brisket are the cheapest and tastiest cuts of meat to order at a butchers. Now, I've only ever ordered standard things from a butcher in the past, ie. sausages and I have no idea how to go about ordered brisket or neck of lamb! I don't know how much to order! Would the butcher be able to help me with this? I just don't want to look like a complete novice. In general, are butchers cheaper than supermarkets? Do they have set prices? Would you suggest that I do my meat shopping there? How much would brisket cost for 2 people with some spare to freeze? Are there any other cheap meats that anyone thinks I should try? Go into your butcher and name your dish, and tell him how many for (NB under-quote, these butchers are generous with meat :rotfl:) I'll say "I'm doing a curry for 4 people (make that 6 in reality :rotfl:) what's a good cut of beef/lamb etc for long slow cooking?" My butcher is just as happy with me and the OAPs who come in for little bits as he was when I came in for vast quantities each week. I told him that my Mum's butcher sneers at small orders and he was horrified!
    And is anything else particularly good value at a butchers, so that I can order it while I am there?

Lots of questions, I know!!

Definitely make friends with your butcher. Mine gives me wonderful bones for stock :D
  • rosemary54
    Options
    dont buy expensive rocket or rockette(just baby rocket!) in supermarket.buy a packet of seeds at around the cost of 1 supermarket pack and sow every couple of weeks in a 4 inch pots of compost througout the summer.
    When the 1st pot is large enough you can cut it right down to give plenty for a salad for 2, then cut the next meal from another pot and so on(the number of pots you sow will be according to how much you eat and how much space you have!(I grow mine in the greenhouse but a window sill is fine)
    By the time you have cut from your last pot the 1st should have grown again :)I used to grow in the garden but found it went to seed and I had a glut but I can control it much better this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure