Please Help me with Virgin conundrum?

Options

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Inclusive calls to mobiles is very expensive with virgin.
    This has recently changed. The £8 per month inclusive calls package now includes calls to mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079 as well as the usual calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.

Previously, in order to have inclusive calls to mobile numbers, you had to go for the £15 deal that also includes calls to selected international destinations. You no longer need to do this.
  • zuliano
    Options
    Can I please update people on what is latest to happen with Virgin:

On 19/9/16 with one day cooling off period' of the contract I was offered a new deal of unlimited calls, a reduction of TV channels, and broadband for £55.00 per month which after 6 months would go up to £58.00 per month. So I accepted it

This morning I receive a message from Virgin saying that 'From 1st November, you bill will be going up by £3.49 a month'

I hadn't been told about that, so I called Virgin and the women there was confused at first how I had been offered the £55:00 but after a lot of time found out that the women I had previously spoke to wasn't aware of this Novemeber price rise because of fault with system!

SO, the new deal being offered is: £53.99 from October 18, till the November price rise when it will become £57.48 per month and after 6 months would go up to £60.48 per month

Of course I am feeling messed about with! But apparently I can cancel contract anytime (including the whole account) before 31st October 2016

So PLEASE can you let me know how much incomparison with that cost per month I would save with Sky? it is mostly Sky I have been hearing about, or any other provider you can let me know about
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First thing to do is phone up and tell them you are cancelling. Then while you wait for them to call back price up what you can get elsewhere. There was a sky deal that ended yesterday which had line rental and broadband for 12 months for under £10 a month. Add unlimited calls to that for £8 and then its just about adding on a TV bundle Again figure out what you need/want in the way of channels first and then price it up.

I'm sure if you go onto the Sky website and then onto online chat you can get a deal. Just mention you want to leave Virgin and ask what they can do.

If you have a TV aerial and you only want basic TV then you could just use freeview. No cost at all provided you've got a TV that can show free channels (pretty much all TV in recent years)
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    First thing to do is phone up and tell them you are cancelling. Then while you wait for them to call back price up what you can get elsewhere. There was a sky deal that ended yesterday which had line rental and broadband for 12 months for under £10 a month. Add unlimited calls to that for £8 and then its just about adding on a TV bundle Again figure out what you need/want in the way of channels first and then price it up.

I'm sure if you go onto the Sky website and then onto online chat you can get a deal. Just mention you want to leave Virgin and ask what they can do.

If you have a TV aerial and you only want basic TV then you could just use freeview. No cost at all provided you've got a TV that can show free channels (pretty much all TV in recent years)

...ohhh typical, it would just end yesterday! :eek:

Isn't it true that if you get a Sky box it is basically yours and you dont get any ongoing help if it goes wrong? Who are you with and how much do you pay? and what for?
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the Uswitch site and put in postcode and copied these three deals from top of list:
    Virgin: Virgin Media Superfibre 50 Broadband & Calls; up to 50Mb speed; unlimited downloads; 12 months contract; £12:00 (underneath £19:00 line rental)

Sky: Sky Unlimited broadband; up to 17Mb speed; unlimited downloads; 12 months contract; FREE (underneath £17.40 line rental)

BT: BT Infinity fibre unlimited broadband &calls; up to 52 Mb speed; unlimited downloads; 12 moths contract; £10.00 (underneath £18.99 line rental)

I am guessing the virgin one is for NEW and not loyal customers??

But I am confused if the others are or are not better deals than the actual deal Virgin has given me of £57.48 per month going up to £60.48 per month...?

And why in the Sky and BT in SKY deal does it say in the section 'Free' whilst underneath it has £17.40?

And in the BT deal underneath its line rental of £10.00 it has £18.99?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If your mother has Dementia I wouldn't be installing a decoder from another supplier to her TV. Does she actually watch TV? Does she use the telephone?

Do you live there with her?
    These are all questions I'd be asking prior to accepting a "deal" whereby she'll be paying around £60 a month in a new 18 month contract, especially as you say you are in financial difficulties.

If it's only your TV, telephony and broadband needs being catered for then you might need to seriously consider Freeview for TV and a basic landline and broadband package (with whichever supplier offers the cheapest deal).
  • latecomer
    Options
    So most deals dont include line rental so you need to add the quoted figure underneath to the main amount.

e.g. for Sky - you get a years free broadband (ADSL - not fibre) but you need to pay the line rental of £17.40 per month.

You can add unlimited calls to Sky (which includes most numbers although possibly not numbers starting 08 - you need to check) for another £8.

So for £25.40 you get unlimited broadband and unlimited calls.

you then need to decide what TV channels you need/want and either use freeview or pay for some channels from Sky.

Sky box is yours so if there is an issue then you need to pay to get it fixed - although I presume it will come with a 12 month warranty? Again something to check.

I'm currently with Virgin - I pay £30 per month for:
    unlimited calls to most numbers including mobiles (line rental included)
    50Mb Broadband
    TV M - this is the most basic package they have - basically Freeview channels
    Tivo box

Mine package is going up by £3.49 but I'm going to call today and put in my cancellation and then try and get it back down to £30. I know I've got a good deal for what we need and I probably wont leave but if I find a very good deal and Virgin dont drop the price rise then I might consider it.
  • latecomer
    Options
    Actually didn't notice the bit about financial difficulties.

In which case I'd go with the cheapest provider for line rental, calls and broadband and then use Freeview for your TV. Going by the Sky deal you could get everything you need for about £25 - thats a lot cheaper than your Virgin deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Going by the Sky deal you could get everything you need for about £25 - thats a lot cheaper than your Virgin deal.
    Virgin will doubtless offer to beat that deal if the OP mentions it to them..
  • latecomer
    Options
    they might - particularly if they put in the cancellation first. And it pays to know exactly what your options are when dealing with Virgin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure