How much can I get tax free?

Options
Apologies if I am being a numpty, but I have just received my deferred benefit statement for my ancient and tiny Local Gov pension scheme.

I can start drawing it from next year, and as the amounts are so small as to be hardly noticed I am seriously considering doing that, although I intend to keep working.

It's this paragraph that I can't quite get my head around.
Increasing your tax-free lump sum at retirement
When you retire you will be given the option to convert up to 25% of your total pension scheme benefits to a lump sum. This means that you can choose to receive a larger tax-free lump sum and smaller pension than the standard benefits. The conversion rate is currently £12 of lump sum (tax-free) for every £1 of pension given up.
For example, if my annual pension value is going to be £1500, and my automatic tax-free lump sum is £4500, what does that make my 'total' pension scheme benefits?

If someone could give me a rough estimate of what my annual pension would then be if I did take the extra lump sum, that would be helpful ...

As it happens, a small lump sum next year could be handy.

And as a supplementary, I can't see anywhere what would happen if I decided NOT to start drawing this pension, presumably it just stays in the pot and keeps growing?
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How old are you and what is your scheme age?

If you are still working, what kind of pension are you paying into now?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    How old are you and what is your scheme age?
    I'm 59, and when I took this out the expected retirement date for the fairer sex was 60. Got to wait until I'm 66 for my SRP.
    atush wrote: »
    If you are still working, what kind of pension are you paying into now?
    Currently stakeholder. That one's not enormous either, but DH has good ones. :D

Work is likely to change pension scheme next year or the year after when Auto-Enrolment strikes! Current scheme is not AE compliant, not sure who we'll be going with but likely to be Now:Pensions or People's Pension (small employer, obviously).
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

In which years were you working in Local Government?

http://www.lgps.org.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=100791

You have the right to draw your LGPS pension at 60?

You earned a GMP?

Commutation on a 12:1 basis means that you would receive £12 for every £1 of pension you gave up - this is normally considered to be pretty dire - by way of example, a relative of mine received £20+ some few years ago.

Is there an automatic lump sum in your section of the scheme?

As for choosing to defer drawing your deferred pension, do the scheme rules permit this for a deferred pensioner?

Hyubh is the expert on this scheme and it might be worth a pm.

It might also be worth giving the administrator a ring to check on your exact situation.
  • Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you left before 31/03/1998 and it is payable in fullfrom age 60, then you cannot defer your pension.

If you left after 01/04/1998 then you can defer it, but if its payable in full from 60 there is no point as the pension increases by CPI whether in deferment or in payment and late retirement enhancements dont take effect until age 65.

If your pension is £1500 and lump sum £4500 then your maximum lump sum would be around £8000 and residual pension £1200
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LGPS is (I think) the only sizeable scheme for government employees that is still allowed to let member transfer out. You could ask for a CETV quotation, and then consider whether that interests you. But if you are going to be rather short of pension income, taking a CETV might be a poor idea.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Drp8713
    Options
    You can transfer out of the LGPS, if the transfer value is over £30k you would need financial advice.

And if 60 is NRD and the member is 59, then they cant transfer out within a year of NRD
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'm 59, and when I took this out the expected retirement date for the fairer sex was 60.

On that narrow point, normal retirement ages in the LGPS have always been the same for men and women; if yours is less than 65, then you have benefited from the 'rule of 85' (alias '85 year rule') [or have transferred from the civil service with a protected NPA many years ago... though from what you say that's unlikely]. Whatever it is should be on your annual benefit statement however - does it say 60? I ask because there's a chance you're confusing the age at which you can draw the pension with reductions (which will be 60) with your normal retirement age.

Other than that, what Drp8713 said...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    In which years were you working in Local Government?

http://www.lgps.org.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=100791
    I am not sure of the exact years, because it is all so long ago. However, I think it would have been from 1981, and definitely finished in April 1987. So ...
    You have the right to draw your LGPS pension at 60?
    Yes, I can definitely draw it at age 60. Every letter I've ever had from them has said as much.
    You earned a GMP?
    A what? All it ever says is the annual pension, and the automatic tax-free lump sum. Ah, a Guaranteed Minimum Pension. No idea. That's never mentioned, but I suspect it's what they mean by my 'annual pension'.
    Is there an automatic lump sum in your section of the scheme?
    Yes, as I said, it's about £4500. Which will be paid to DH if I pop my clogs before my next birthday. Not worth bumping me off for. :D
    As for choosing to defer drawing your deferred pension, do the scheme rules permit this for a deferred pensioner?
    Do you know, it never occurred to me that wouldn't be possible, but it does explain why that option is never mentioned! Gosh, I can be a pensioner next year! :j
    Hyubh is the expert on this scheme and it might be worth a pm.

It might also be worth giving the administrator a ring to check on your exact situation.
    Thanks for those suggestions. I had thought of ringing them, but never when a) I have the letter with me and b) during working hours ...

Aha! Just seen I can email them!
    Drp8713 wrote: »
    If you left before 31/03/1998 and it is payable in fullfrom age 60, then you cannot defer your pension.
    Thanks, that's my situation. I think.
    If your pension is £1500 and lump sum £4500 then your maximum lump sum would be around £8000 and residual pension £1200
    Thank you, that's what I needed to know.
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    LGPS is (I think) the only sizeable scheme for government employees that is still allowed to let member transfer out. You could ask for a CETV quotation, and then consider whether that interests you. But if you are going to be rather short of pension income, taking a CETV might be a poor idea.
    Thanks, that would be something I'd take advice on.
    You can transfer out of the LGPS, if the transfer value is over £30k you would need financial advice.
    I'd seen that, but my value is well below.
    And if 60 is NRD and the member is 59, then they cant transfer out within a year of NRD
    So I'd be too late anyway.
    hyubh wrote: »
    On that narrow point, normal retirement ages in the LGPS have always been the same for men and women; if yours is less than 65, then you have benefited from the 'rule of 85' (alias '85 year rule') [or have transferred from the civil service with a protected NPA many years ago... though from what you say that's unlikely]. Whatever it is should be on your annual benefit statement however - does it say 60? I ask because there's a chance you're confusing the age at which you can draw the pension with reductions (which will be 60) with your normal retirement age.

Other than that, what Drp8713 said...
    I am going away to read the letter properly again ...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    Right, I have read it all again, carefully.

There is definitely a bit which says:

Your benefits are due for payment on an unreduced basis from [my birthday next year].

I do realise I could probably do with some 'proper' advice, but I find it helps to have my head around the basics first.
  • Drp8713
    Options
    I'd seen that, but my value is well below

Its the CETV not the pension value used, and yours would be over £30k.

But based on what you have said, as youre within a year of NRD they shouldnt let you transfer out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure