PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice - tactics for buying house

Options

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Well it's our money as purchasers that will have paid the vendors EA bill when we completed today. Technically the vendor pays the bill, but the reality is unless somebody purchases the property the EA isn't getting paid.

Money you once had is no way your's!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Money you once had is no way your's!

But it's money that never reached the vendor. Our money will have gone to their solicitor who will have deduced the agents fee and their own before sending the rest on to the vendor. If we or somebody else hadn't bought the house, how would the EA have been paid? Not by the vendor.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• cjmillsnun
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Well it's our money as purchasers that will have paid the vendors EA bill when we completed today. Technically the vendor pays the bill, but the reality is unless somebody purchases the property the EA isn't getting paid.

True, but the EA's contract is with the vendor and the vendor alone.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    True, but the EA's contract is with the vendor and the vendor alone.

I know, but the reality is the purchaser pays the EA even if the EA is working for the vendor.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chill. wanting it here and now will result in you paying more.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 September 2017 at 9:21AM
    Options
    I asked how much more "market testing" they're looking for, and he said 3/4 weeks.

Tell the EA you will review your offer again from scratch in 4 weeks.

keep looking.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vendor sounds a pain. What happens if the survey comes back and it needs £10k spending? He's not going to budge.
  • cdm44
    cdm44 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Anyone have any thoughts on next steps now? It doesn’t look like anything has come of the “further marketing”.

We don’t want to leave this hanging on much longer, as we’re getting a bit frustrated and would rather just put the whole idea behind us if this isn’t going to happen.

So we’re thinking of one last go. But we can’t decide to go back and restate our offer (95% of asking price) or to increase a bit to 97% to get it done this week. What do people think?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Up to you really. I did go back with the one I wanted recently, but regretted it instantly as it made no difference and probably just looked like there was more money in the pot (there wasn't, it's just that my mum's paying my legal fees/survey).

I had the same prob buying the house I'm currently in. They kept sending me away with my tail between my legs and wouldn't accept my offer (kept saying the market was going to increase and I'd not afford anything, and that it had snowed so wait until the weather picked up as it would sell, blah blah, excuse after excuse trying to get rid of me). Went on for 3 or 4 weeks, and I'd first viewed the house several months before and it was still up!

Eventually, I blocked the patronising g*t on my phone and emailed them saying I was really keen to get this sorted, I had a buyer who was several weeks in, and what would they accept? The EA (different one) replied saying just a bit more and I think it's yours so I went up one or two grand I think and the vendor accepted. I doubt they'd even been putting my offers forward (illegal unless he'd given them a limit to decline offers under).

Thing is, you just don't know. They may accept, they may not. Absolutely pot luck depending on what the vendors want/what the EA are telling them.

Good luck.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are probably too attached to the house, and probably over-paying anyway? Got a link?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure