Investing newbie with questions...

Options

Comments

• Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    I had a look on Hargreaves Lansdown to see what i could invest in in terms of a LISA and unless i've missed something it appears the funds available for this are very specific and limited?
    In a standard S&S ISA there appears hundred, maybe thousands of funds but in the S&S LISA from what i saw there's only a handful of investment options?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I had a look on Hargreaves Lansdown to see what i could invest in in terms of a LISA and unless i've missed something it appears the funds available for this are very specific and limited?
    In a standard S&S ISA there appears hundred, maybe thousands of funds but in the S&S LISA from what i saw there's only a handful of investment options?

The options are the exact same. You can choose from thousands of funds, or shares in individual companies, just like with a "normal" S&S ISA.

Don't confuse advertorial such as "our team of research experts have highlighted funds we believe could present promising investment opportunities for lifetime ISAs, here are three funds we suggest for investing 5-10 years and three others for ten years plus..." ... with thinking that's all you're allowed to buy.

What the very limited list of advertised funds there have in common is that they are all either

- expensive funds operated by HL themselves (multi-manager funds where HL create a fund to take your money and split it between a bunch of other external managers who do the real investment work while HL skim extra management fee off the top), or

- third party managed funds who have struck a deal with HL to offer the HL customers a slightly lower management fee to help the high HL platform fee not seem so bad, on the condition that HL push a lot of customers their way.

Those are NOT the only funds you can hold. You can hold anything that could be held in their ISA, from an individual share or bond in an individual company, to a fund, or investment trust, or ETF etc etc etc. Pretty much the same as what you could hold in their self-invested pension product or unwrapped share and fund account.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    The options are the exact same. You can choose from thousands of funds, or shares in individual companies, just like with a "normal" S&S ISA.

Don't confuse advertorial such as "our team of research experts have highlighted funds we believe could present promising investment opportunities for lifetime ISAs, here are three funds we suggest for investing 5-10 years and three others for ten years plus..." ... with thinking that's all you're allowed to buy.

What the very limited list of advertised funds there have in common is that they are all either

- expensive funds operated by HL themselves (multi-manager funds where HL create a fund to take your money and split it between a bunch of other external managers who do the real investment work while HL skim extra management fee off the top), or

- third party managed funds who have struck a deal with HL to offer the HL customers a slightly lower management fee to help the high HL platform fee not seem so bad, on the condition that HL push a lot of customers their way.

Those are NOT the only funds you can hold. You can hold anything that could be held in their ISA, from an individual share or bond in an individual company, to a fund, or investment trust, or ETF etc etc etc. Pretty much the same as what you could hold in their self-invested pension product or unwrapped share and fund account.
    You're totally right. The link i clicked on was http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/lifetime-isa/investment-ideas it seems they are only "Ideas". I guess you have to actually sign up to go through the process of seeing the funds which like you say will be the same.

I've finished John Edwards DIY Investing book and found it very helpful. So much so that i've just ordered his DIY Pensions book for a read.
    Once i've gone through that i'll take a look at S&S ISAs vs S&S LISAs and then try to weigh up whether i put my retirement plan in one of the 3 or split it and if so to what ratio.

Once all that is decided i can then put the money somewhere.
  • bowlhead99
    edited 29 May 2017 at 11:52PM
    Options
    You're totally right. The link i clicked on was http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/lifetime-isa/investment-ideas it seems they are only "Ideas". I guess you have to actually sign up to go through the process of seeing the funds which like you say will be the same.

You can see the funds without signing up, just click "fund prices and research" on the menu at the top. And when you get there you don't have to pick from just the list of heavily-advertised stuff that they call their "wealth 150". The point of do it yourself investing via a fund supermarket is to be able to put whatever you like in the basket. Just like in a real supermarket you don't have to only buy the products they put at eye level because they have a deal with their suppliers to sell a lot.

When looking at funds there aren't any that will be eligible for S&S ISA that won't also be eligible for S&S LISA.
  • bowlhead99
    edited 30 May 2017 at 2:05AM
    Options

I've finished John Edwards DIY Investing book and found it very helpful. So much so that i've just ordered his DIY Pensions book for a read.
    I've not read them, but seemed pretty short (and cheap) on Kindle, so nothing to lose by taking a look.

Andy Bell (who set up AJBell / Youinvest) has one called "the DIY investor" which is quite easy to follow, but weightier and more expensive than the ones you mentioned. There's a new edition out next month. It goes through the concepts and practicalities of opening ISAs or SIPPs or other types of accounts with investment platforms and buying different types of investments within them. I bought it for my dad. It doesn't mention LISAs as they are a brand new concept, but LISAs aren't rocket science and there's loads of posts on the ISAs board here that would explain the ins and outs. Not sure if Bell's new book has much/any updated content to pick up on the new tax rules of the last couple of years, or just a shinier front cover. Hopefully the former.
    Once i've gone through that i'll take a look at S&S ISAs vs S&S LISAs and then try to weigh up whether i put my retirement plan in one of the 3 or split it and if so to what ratio.
    Splitting it makes sense as each of the investment wrappers have their own pros and cons.

If it is genuinely intended for retirement age 60+ though, and not for some intermediate goal in ten or twenty years where you might want to withdraw the proceeds, LISA beats S&S ISA due to free bonus money. It will really help you boost your pot of assets to draw out in your 60s or beyond without tax. A normal S&S ISA would simply leave you with a smaller pot of the same assets.

If you don't already have much pension and you are worried about means testing or bailiffs etc then a pension is more compelling than if you did /weren't, as it's "off the radar" rather than being accessible with a penalty. You can't be forced to access a pension early.

However, if your retirement planning has gone so badly that you have run out of money apart from your retirement funds, it might be useful to be able to access them in an absolute life or death crisis, so the LISA is OK. Access for a penalty is not a bad feature -you should hope you never need to use it though, otherwise you will have a miserable retirement at poverty level without any private pension income and relying only on the state.

Either way, as you don't want to be living on pennies a week over the course of a 40 year retirement, you're clearly going to need to increase your pension funding above its current £14pm :). Would you try to live off £50pm in retirement? Because that's what you're aiming for with that level of contribution. In due course you'd need to put more into your pension to meet the overall increasing minimums if your employer is only putting in his minimum piece. So don't be putting so much into an ISA or LISA that you can't afford to stay in the work pension and lose the employer free cash. However, that is probably a red herring as you can always modify how much you pay in to which product, in due course. If you start with £100-150pm now to the LISA and 50-100 to pension you could adjust it later if you need more pension contributions to stay in the work scheme but can't really afford it.

Really the main thing to be concerned with retirement planning is if you put pennies in you get pennies out. And your £200pm which sounds a lot now will not be much when a pint of beer costs £20 in retirement ; aim to increase the £200pm every year by more than inflation, especially as you have left it late to properly get started. When the minimum pension contribution at work increases, try to do the full amount of that increase without reducing this £200pm or whatever its grown to.

Side note - you mention your wife 'can't get into this kind of thing'. Don't let her ignorance and disinterest make it fall all on your shoulders. When you have worked out your plan, at least tell her what it is and what sort of pot it might build by the time you're both mid-sixties and looking to give up work.

Say for example you invest £200pm in real terms (i.e. increasing with inflation) for the next 30 years and then make on average 4.5% growth above inflation for that 30 year period. That gives you a pot of £150k in real terms (today's money) age 64-65. If you then draw out 4% a year from that big pot of capital while keeping it invested you will hopefully be able to keep it running for the next 30 years after you start drawing on it without really eroding it in real terms, so you can afford to live longer than you planned and have a bit left over for your kids.

But 4% of £150k is only £6k a year. It would be more than that if you had a LISA bonus on the contributions between now and age 50, which will help. But you might not achieve the assumed 'inflation plus 4.5%' rate because nobody knows exactly how investments will perform from here.

Anyway, can you live on £6k a year between the two of you from age 64-65 while waiting for state pension to kick in at about age 70? Probably not. You might want to draw it much faster. So it would be half gone by the time you got to state pension age and you'd then just be living on the residue plus state pensions, which are about £8k each if you have a full entitlement - which isn't much fun if you have got used to each earning £30k plus towards the end of your careers.

If you spell it out for your wife, she still might not want to take much interest in what exactly you are investing in or who exactly you are investing in on her behalf, but she would hopefully take an interest in improving the £200pm figure so you end up with more in the pot because nobody wants to plan to be poor. Make sure she is maxing out any free money at her own workplace pension, assuming she works.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    I do try to get my wife involved and i do keep her informed with what's happening but i can see her eyes just glaze over, similar to how mine do when she's asking what hairstyle she should have, what colour she should dye her hair, what outfit she should wear so on and so forth. So long as she's happy then i'm not really bothered, aside from if i think something looks totally daft :) lol

We did start late but possibly not as late as my thread may seem. I'm 34 now and my wife is 35. We started when i was 28 which is where the £7.5k each has come from. My workplace pension is somewhere around £1.5-£2.0k due to the AVCs i was paying in, my wifes is much less as she was enrolled a year later. Not megamoney i will readily admit but it's a start, and if we decide not to have children then that'll be a huge saving anyway. In the closing months before i dropped back down to 1% i was paying in around £160 pm into my WPP and a further £100 into my S&S ISA. My wife was probably about £115 combined, so hers needs increasing.

I know nothing is set in stone here but at some point i would potentially be looking at a cash injection too. When my mother dies, and hopefully this isn't for many many many maaaaaaannnnny years to come and i could very well die before her and she could sell up and spend it all tomorrow (but as she's spoken to me about it all i know that isn't going to happen) but if it happened today then i would be looking at about £100k my way. I'm not relying on this in the slightest and like i say i do hope it's not for an incredibly long time to come and i am managing my retirement plan without even factoring that in but it's actually something my mother spoke to me about (not me to her). I'm just mentioning it as a sort of possibility i guess.

I remember watching a programme some time ago where they had a group of people living off what they would get if they retired today based on what they were putting in. Some were putting in a nice amount, others not at all. It was quite a worrying view.
    That was probably about 7 years or so before i actually did something about it which is even more worrying. Pensions are for old people right?!

Thanks to my pressing my younger brother & sister started to make plans when they were 19/20. My brother has contributed quite an amount since he began in terms of percentage and he earns more than i do. I know it doesn't help my situation any but i didn't want to see them make the same mistake i did in "oh i'll do it later".
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck NMO with whatever you decide and, even though it can be daunting, keep researching & thinking for yourself.

One point, if I was your age I would open a LISA for you and 1 for your wife before you turn 40 even if I only put say one months £200 into it.

At least then you can top it up later, but you can't open it once you are over 40 so it keeps another option open for you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I did think i was going to put the £7.5k in in one but i am well aware that i have limited knowledge on this topic so i don't want to do something wrong through lack of knowledge.

I have maxed out the bank accounts but i prefer not to go too much into detail there.

Regards the LISA, i've seen a few times MArtin Lewis saying this is only really any good for the self employed. I just remember from what he said it's basically not good for me. I'm not sure how though since can a simple index tracker guarantee 25% each year? It's quite an amount. So surely it is good? So simply just because of him i was not looking at the LISA.

If you are going to watch daily/weekly and would freak out if there was a market correction, dont use the lump sum approach.

If you c an avoid the above, deposit the LS.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    Back with another question (i'll go away eventually, promise :))

As i've said earlier, i think the Vanguard LS80 is suitable for what i want however i didn't want to just dive in with both feet so i wanted to look out similar options to this. I'll list 3 i found (1 being the Vanguard one).

Vanguard: http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-lifestrategy-80-equity-accumulation
    Blackrock: http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/b/blackrock-consensus-85-class-i-accumulation
    L&G: http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-global-100-index-class-i-accumulation (ok thats 100 & not 80 but it's another i was at least looking at as a potential option).

One thing i noticed is the price to purchase units.

L&G: 154
    Blackrock: 212
    Vanguard: 18408

massive difference.

For what it's worth my wife and I opened up a LISA each at the start of the week. I went with the Vanguard 100 & she went with the L&G 100 and we both deposited the minimum of £100 just to simply open the account. We may well never put anything else into it between now and hitting 50 but we just opened it so it's open.

The thing is my £100 got me 0.5 unit with Vanguard & my wife's £100 got her 60something units with L&G.

So when things rise and fall will my wife's account/pot/balance/value (insert correct term here) rise and fall much sharper than mine?
    Basically since there's not a great deal between the two, would it be better to be in her shoes with the more units, especially since they're considerably more?

I guess i'm just wording a question very badly as to should you go for the cheaper option really since you can buy more units (since they're very similar)?
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We may well never put anything else into it between now and hitting 50 but we just opened it so it's open.
    Can't think why you would be interested in investing like you are, and then maybe not invest more than £100 until you hit 50 in 16 years time?
    The thing is my £100 got me 0.5 unit with Vanguard & my wife's £100 got her 60something units with L&G.

So when things rise and fall will my wife's account/pot/balance/value (insert correct term here) rise and fall much sharper than mine?
    I don't think it matters at all comparing the actual unit price of different funds - if both funds rise 10% over the year, you'll both have £110.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure