Shared Housing Paying the Bills

Options
I'm not entirely sure if this is the place for this, but hopefully someone may be able to direct me elsewhere if not.

I was in a house share last year, and everything else was paid fine but I was lead tennant for the Water (with United Utilities). Me and another housemate paid off our share fine, though the two others (to my knowledge) still haven't.

We set up a deal where they were supposed to swap the names over and pay the rest off (so that I didn't have to deal with their calls or trying to organise things on their behalf). I've been in touch with them to try and find out if they've paid it off, if they've swapped the names over etc, but had no response from them at all. I recently started getting spam calls from Avantis, about a business proposition, which looks to me like a debt collection company. I'm in no other debt so can only assume that this may be something to do with United Utilities and the money that's owed, seen as presumably I'm still the lead tennant.

I've spoken to United Utilities about it a few times, but they've always said that the other housemates need to be the ones to swap the names over. I've seen a few places to not speak directly to Avantis yet because it isn't helpful.

I'm not sure exactly what my options are for trying to get them to pay it, or at least ensure that they have the liability. If the worst comes to the worst it isn't the largest amount of money in the world to have lost if I do have to just pay it myself, but obviously this is something that I'd want to completely avoid if at all possible.

Does anyone have any past experience of this, or can anyone offer any advice as to what the best course of action is?

Thanks in advance,
Wes.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WesFoster wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if this is the place for this, but hopefully someone may be able to direct me elsewhere if not.

I was in a house share last year, and everything else was paid fine but I was lead tennant for the Water (with United Utilities). Me and another housemate paid off our share fine, though the two others (to my knowledge) still haven't.

We set up a deal where they were supposed to swap the names over and pay the rest off (so that I didn't have to deal with their calls or trying to organise things on their behalf). I've been in touch with them to try and find out if they've paid it off, if they've swapped the names over etc, but had no response from them at all. I recently started getting spam calls from Avantis, about a business proposition, which looks to me like a debt collection company. I'm in no other debt so can only assume that this may be something to do with United Utilities and the money that's owed, seen as presumably I'm still the lead tennant.

I've spoken to United Utilities about it a few times, but they've always said that the other housemates need to be the ones to swap the names over. I've seen a few places to not speak directly to Avantis yet because it isn't helpful.

I'm not sure exactly what my options are for trying to get them to pay it, or at least ensure that they have the liability. If the worst comes to the worst it isn't the largest amount of money in the world to have lost if I do have to just pay it myself, but obviously this is something that I'd want to completely avoid if at all possible.

Does anyone have any past experience of this, or can anyone offer any advice as to what the best course of action is?

Thanks in advance,
    Wes.

If your name is still on the tenancy agreement, the supplier will consider you liable for the bill. It will be up to you to get the money from whoever you think is responsible, but that will not be a reason to delay paying the supplier.

If you are no longer on the tenancy agreement, you should have advised the supplier of this (with supporting evidence if needed) and the supplier would then close the account.
    If you have not done this, legally you are still responsible, but the supplier may be somewhat accomodating even if you provide this information now.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    WesFoster wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what my options are for trying to get them to pay it, or at least ensure that they have the liability.

Take them to the Small Claims court.

It costs you little and few will risk having a judgement against themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure