Never worked, state pension??

Options

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It has been suggested, it got some widespread approval (as it restricts pensions to many temporary immigrants who then go back abroad) it is not yet law. For instance, currently Aussies who come over for a year or two can claim a british SP when t hey retire.

But many other countries incl the USA do it (ie have a min number of years you have to pay in to get anything), so I expect it to be law before long.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    There will be no pension credit after april 2016,
    Yes there is. Do you seriously think they'll leave people with no NI record to starve? Can you point to anything saying pension credit will end in April 2016? It's certainly not in the single tier white paper.
  • zagfles
    Options
    chella wrote: »
    he has been doing it on and off since he left school. He doesn't want to go to sign on, and the self employment route fits his lifestyle.

Business is conveniently a cash in hand one, he of course makes more than a thousand, not mega bucks, but more than he declares. About £130 a week.

I don't know if he has ever been investigated but he says he gives the tax man all the paperwork he needs. he declares 30 hours but says the business doesn't earn him much.

Pretty sure they have been tipped off but how on earth can they see what cash he actually takes, anyhow that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Thanks for the replies.
    HMRC would require evidence of the hours he works. Low income is one of the triggers for an investigation especially if it's been going on for a while. If he's not been investigated yet he's very lucky. He would have to prove he's doing 30 hours a week work.
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the replies. So in effect, my friend is right. He is getting away without paying a bean towards his future as he knows he wont be left destitute. OK so it might be a meagre amount but he will be given some form of benefit and housing benefit and the rest. Makes me really angry actually!!
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    There will be no pension credit after april 2016, and i believe there is talk about making 10 years credits necessary for receipt of any level of SP.

So he would have to self fund from his parents assets after they die, or they could kick him out now and he could find a job?

Pension credit in current format will go but will be replace with pension credit which is similar to universal credit, and pc will have to claimed to get housing benefit
  • zagfles
    Options
    It has been suggested, it got some widespread approval (as it restricts pensions to many temporary immigrants who then go back abroad) it is not yet law. For instance, currently Aussies who come over for a year or two can claim a british SP when t hey retire.

But many other countries incl the USA do it (ie have a min number of years you have to pay in to get anything), so I expect it to be law before long.
    Restricting benefits for non-residents is one thing, that's completely different to someone who has lived in the UK all their life, but hasn't got a full NI record. Such people will still get pension credit. Can you point to anything, even a proposal from a mainstream party, MP, or pressure group saying otherwise?
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.dchgroup.com/customers/useful-info/benefits-changes/changes-affecting-pensioners/

This explains some of the changes coming for pension credit :)
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »

The info on that page is surely wrong. It suggests that the increase to age 66 for receiving sp starts for people born after 6th april 1960. But the gov.uk calculator says that my missus, born in sept 1955 will reach sp at age 66.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chella wrote: »
    he thinks that the government don't leave anyone penniless, regardless and if he isn't entitled to a state pension then there will be some other benefit to fill the gap.

The reforms of the welfare state by the '45 government seem to have been designed to support people like him, and !!!! a snook at the working poor.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2014 at 10:42PM
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Restricting benefits for non-residents is one thing, that's completely different to someone who has lived in the UK all their life, but hasn't got a full NI record. Such people will still get pension credit. Can you point to anything, even a proposal from a mainstream party, MP, or pressure group saying otherwise?

I can't point to any specific link as I dont have a filofax in my brain (nor google) but it has been put forward to restrict pensions for those with less than x amt of years paid in. It has not been made law yet as I say. given other countries do it, dont be surprised if it doesnt become law in the near future.

And people who are from places like Aus are legally resident, even if temporarily. So your 'non resident' option wasn't what I was talking about. They are resident(for a period), but if they dont pay in x amt of years, they cant claim a SP years down the road.

At the same time this was mooted, it was also muted that British pensioners could not pass on a 60% pension opportunity to foreign and non resident spouses. AS far as I can see, this was not only taken up, but will be extended to resident UK non working spouses (with transitional relief I think).

It was meant for those who were not born here nor resident long term. but will catch up some in the net (incl those who 'choose' not to work and sponge off parents. and will impact non working wives in the future once the 60% rule is stripped away.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure