Who pays return costs

Options
Hi,
I purchased an item from an eBay business seller, item was listed as new, but when it arrived today it was clear that it is used. I’ve opened a case for item doesn’t match description or photos. On the listing the item location is UK, and it arrived by Royal Mail.

However I have just noticed on the about me page the seller is in Hong Kong,(kicking myself as I usually check this, but must have forgotten this time) would the seller need to send me a return label, or would I be expected to pay the return cost ? And where would I need to send it too, UK or Hong Kong? I don’t mind sending it back to Hong Kong, but concerned about the time it would take, and hoping I wouldn’t need to pay for it.

Reb

Comments

• Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You've opened a case (presumably via ebay rather than Paypal) and if the seller wants the item back, you will be sent a prepaid label to return the item. What address is given under 'Business Seller Information' (halfway down the page listing the item in question)?
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your response

Yes I opened the case in Ebay. On the listing under seller information it has an address in China, (I'll make sure I check that before bidding in future) however when I checked the case it shows an address in the UK.

Good to hear the seller will need to send me a prepaid label wherever it needs to go.

Reb
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if the item came quickly , ie a few days / week then it might have been "drop shipped" the return label might be to a warehouse in the UK
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Reb2016
    Options
    Yes the item came in the time you would expect if posted from the UK, I hadn’t thought of drop shipping, but that could well be what has happened.
    The seller has contacted me and offered a partial refund, which i’ve declined as I really want to return and have a refund.
    Thanks for the response

Reb
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Just keep the case open until he provides a prepaid label. Then you can return and his refund will close the case.
  • Reb2016
    Options
    Thanks for that, I’ll keep the case open.

The seller came back today, offering a slightly larger partial refund, they are saying it would cost them too much to refund, so giving them the benifit of doubt, and thinking maybe they think I want to keep the item and also have a refund, I have gone back again and explained that I want to return the item and have a refund, I’ve made sure that I am really clear this time, and have requested a prepaid return label. If the seller comes back with another partial refund offer, can I just ignore them, or is it best to respond ?

Reb
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Keep the wording simple.

You listed a NEW item. Item was NOT new. I want a refund. I do not want the used item.

If they are using google translate or similar it should be easier for them.

If they do not issue a paid returns label contact ebay, i got caught out with this. It dragged on so long it was too late.

Luckily mine was not a lot of money and i did actually have a product, just the wrong spec to the one listed.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    Pretty sure under distance selling regulations you are entitled to be reimbursed...whether they actually will or not is another matter. Open an eBay case??

The Distance Selling Regulations will not apply as they have been superseded. The OP has a case open.

OP, if you don't get a full refund or prepaid label by day 8 you can ask eBay to step-in. EBay will either refund you without a return or they will supply a prepaid label.

Whatever he offers just ignore it until you get the label or full refund.
  • Reb2016
    Options
    Just to update, seller finally sent me a paid for tracked returns label, to a UK address, so I posted it back on Friday, eBay have updated to show the tracking number, and for good measure, I have also added a copy of the tracking receipt the post office gave me.

I’ll keep an eye on the tracking and make sure the seller refunds once the tracking confirms it has arrived.

Many thanks for the advice

Reb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family