Making chews

Options
Is there a way to make hard chews for a dog.

Mine chew them for hours, as they are little dogs, and keeps them busy when I need to get something done.

But, I don't think they are very good for goods and they certainly are cheap. Is there a cheap way to make something like them that is also better for the dog?
Olivia Rose

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might want to look at a dehydrator. You can buy them quite reasonable - I have an Andrew James one with a timer that was around £40, but there are smaller/cheaper (I have two big dogs so wanted to be able to make quite a few treats at one time)

I mostly just dry out different meats and break it up to make small titbits for training. However, I know some people will replicate the shop chews - so getting fishskins from the fishcounter at supermarkets or their local fishmonger, and plaiting these before dehydrating. You can get hold of raw pizzle to dehydrate, you can dry out strips of meat (might not be the toughest chew but might do for smaller dogs), you can even dry out fruit and veg, e.g. sweet potato chews.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As long as you're keeping an eye on your dogs you can get bones for free from most butchers. Ask for small ones. Mine get a bone each every Saturday :) they get big bones though as they're bigger dogs :D
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have neither given bones nor meat hide chews (solid pieces and not munchies) to my cavaliers for years. They have fish skin,instead.

First, one boy broke of a sharp triangle of bone from a raw marrowbone and got it jammed in his soft palate,then my (very)big boy, twice, nearly choked when a soggy piece of hide stuck part way down his gullet. (Once was bad luck,but twice made me worry about safety).
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    The riskiest bones to feed are cooked bones, or weight-bearing bones (like marrowbones or the large leg bones from butchers). Cooking changes the structure of bones from flexible (that's why we can take big knocks etc. - it takes a lot of force to break bones unless they're brittle for medical reasons) to brittle, and that's when they can splinter and break into shards. Weight-bearing bones, even without being cooked, are also a risk, because they are so much more dense (think of how much weight a cow's legs must support) and this can also cause shards and splitering.

Softer bones, like chicken carcasses, pork ribs, etc. pose much less risk and can be given as a chew, but the bone will get ingested so best not given in too large a quantity otherwise they can cause constipation.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would recommend raw bones also, as a raw feeder who has never experienced any problems with them.

Have you ever thought about a chew toy like a nylabone that you could put some peanut butter or similar on to make more appealing? They last for along time.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A stuffed kong can keep a dog busy for a while and you can regulate what is in it.

Deer Antlers may be suitable. None of mine have ever been interested in them.

If you want something to clean their teeth then dried fish skins can be had from these firms

Fish4dogs

Skipperspetproducts

Seatreats
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Options
    My dog is a little un and he loves to chew on a pizzle stick. They really do last ages and my Vet said they quite healthy and harmless.
    I get mine from Amazon x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Deer Antlers may be suitable. None of mine have ever been interested in them.

We read up on this same problem and soaked the antler piece for 24 hours in a bowl of water. Worked a treat, our dog now seeks out her Antler several times a day for a chew.
  • PettyDanvers
    PettyDanvers Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I use a kong and put pate inside, works well for mine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business