PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making a list of ways to save money

Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Re using things you already have to achieve a new look by wearing them in a different way is an inspired idea my dear, the very best of OS thriftiness combined with savvy chic, well done you, Lyn xxx.
  • LouiseTopp
    LouiseTopp Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Recent experience of getting "caught" that way for a second time (ie of having a friend to stay for a week or so and finding myself out of pocket as a result).

Bit like my dumb cousin who stayed with me for a week and wouldn't give me anything towards the shopping. He has a job and I am unemployed and on benefits, so I'm not having him stay again because he just takes the mickey. He has no idea what it's like struggling to make ends meet.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2014 at 7:34AM
    Options
    I've been unemployed myself Louise, so can sympathise with even a few £s making a difference when that's the income level coming in. My current situation is that I retired at retirement age (ie 60), but I'm "caught" by a "revised State Pension Age" meaning I'm only on part pension until I reach that revised SPA and an extra £20 or so going out in expenses (even if only for one week) is very noticeable and hence it hit a sore spot for this to happen to me.

It's easier when you know people better and can see that you work things out between you to share, so you know they'd share the extra expenses if they came to stay. For instance, with a recently-made friend here and the last week or so has seen her:

- pay for a ticket for an event for me
    - so I paid for a couple of plants and a bit of refreshment out for her
    - she fed me a meal, so I took some food with me to contribute towards it

etc

and you know it will work out. But for someone who isn't known as well by you (the friend I had staying/your cousin) then it seems to be necessary somehow to check out in advance with them whether "standard practice" of small gift at outset/money towards groceries or a dinner out paid for will be covered if you're on low enough income that it will "hurt" if it isn't.

So, the basic thing to add to the List of the thread is = Don't let other people spend your money for you.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning :)

As I'm typing I'm snuggled up in bed still cos I don't need to get up yet and it's a bit chilly here. This is part of my way of saving ( and it feels like a bit of a treat too ) I don't use things unless I need to ( like heat) and I stretch things out as much as possible.
    At the moment I'm working on only eating when I'm hungry ( in theory this should save my food budget and my waistline) but changing the habits of three meals a day and clear your plate can take some doing.
    I think the main part of the frugal lifestyle is be nice to yourself. A little treat occasionally is needed so that you don't feel like life is one long drudge and being happy with yourself and your life is worth more than diamonds :)

Have a lovely day everyone
    Cuddles :)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • felinefancy
    Options
    Loving these posts!!

A few tips from me too :-)

i) Use it or lose it - and sell on Ebay (using free listing days) or give to charity
    ii) Try to make as much food as you can at home - recently found a good source of blackberries, cherry plus and elderflowers so will be including them in my jam making for next year.
    iii) No matter how small your garden is, there is always something you can grow, even in pots.
    iv) Get rid of the tv! (We haven't had one for 2.5 years now- and don't miss it.)
    v) If you must go to cinema, choose cheap nights, and take your own popcorn and coke!
    vi) Use a steamer to cook food. Four veggies, one cooker ring :-) And much healthier.
    vii) With train prices set to rise 3.5%, consider taking National Express or Megabus for journeys. Often more than half the cost of a train ticket.
    viii) Always keep an eye on half price, BOGOF, deals on food for the freezer, and bulk buy - but only what you would normally eat.
    ix) Stop sending xmas cards. Sending an online card still means you are thinking of someone, especially if you send a lovely animated card and write your own wording.
    x) Always shop around for insurance quotes, and barter with your current provider to get a better deal. If they refuse to drop, go elsewhere.
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought I revive this thread....

If travelling by train, NEVER buy your ticket on the day you wish to travel Buy your ticket in advance as you will most likely save quite a bit.

The same applies if travelling by coach as ticket prices tend to increase as the day of travel approaches.
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport