Hair Straighteners to replace GHD - Cloud Nine?

Options
Hi, I've had these GHDs for about a decade, give or take, - model 3.1b bought in 2007 I think.
In 2014 I saw all the really nice colourful GHD special editions and thought the current models must be so much better than the ones I'd bought so long ago and bought the GHD V Lagoons.

Whilst as pretty as they looked on screen I found them to be a real disappointment. I registered them on the GHD site so I know they weren't fakes but they didn't seem to grip the hair between the plates and the straightening effect was poor. I used them for a little while then gave up and used my old pair. The Lagoons live in my wardrobe now.

I'm in the mood to buy myself a Xmas present so has anyone who used the old GHD model tried and can speak favourably of any of the current straigteners on the market. I keep hearing Cloud Nine mentioned in particular.

Thank you. I really wish you could rent hair irons for a week before shelling out £100-£150 as it's expensive when you get it wrong...

Comments

• imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2016 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Where my hairdresser works they ditched GHD Straightners and bought Cloud 9.
    The guy that made GHD sold the business and now makes Cloud 9.

Check the reviews on Amazon for Cloud 9
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought GHD from Amazon and they were rubbish. I called Amazon to complain and they replaced them and when sending them back I noticed all the writing on them had worn off. I only used them half a dozen times.
    Then this story turned up in the papers

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11534976.Witney_accountant_told_to_pay___8k_for_selling_fake_GHD_hairdryers_that_could_have_injured_users/
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know I rate GHD, I felt it was too much to throw away £100 if I didn't like a new brand.

So I bought GHD V gold, they are fine.
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did buy off Amazon as it happens but from them directly rather than 3rd party. They Lagoon Vs also registered fine on the GHD website so they are genuine but just not as good as the old ones so Im looking to other brands which are as good or better than the old Ghd models.
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My hairdressers switched to straighteners called C1's. They heat up hotter than GHD's and I love how they tame my wild hair. When my straighteners give up the ghost I'll be getting a pair. You can order them from the Salon Services website and they are cheaper than GHD's!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    I have older GHDs which work great still, however my hairdresser uses and recommends Cloud 9 especially for my unruly locks
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have older GHDs which work great still, however my hairdresser uses and recommends Cloud 9 especially for my unruly locks

My old pair still do work - not bad for ten years of use pretty much daily from an electrical item - but I can't help but feel that they've really done some damage to my hair as I have all these random hairs sticking out from my hair. Hence I thought I'd treat myself to another pair that were perhaps kinder after years of development than my current pair.

Do you also use the GHD 3.1b and would you say the Cloud9 used on you at the salon work as well as your GHD at home?
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    I have been talking to my hairdresser about this today. She recommended not buying GHDs but buying Cloud 9 instead. However she also said that some cheaper brands now are much better than they used to be and that some of the Babyliss and Remington straighteners are really worth the money.

I am still undecided.
  • MockTurtle
    Options
    I LOVE my cloud9 straighteners! I bought them after discovering them at my local Aveda salon. They told me they were made by the guy behind GHDs. I'm so glad I bought them. They are SO much smoother and glide through my hair much better than my GHD's ever did. I also love the variable heat setting too - I need quite a high heat to iron out my wavy hair after washing, but I can use a much gentler heat on day two just to smooth out any bedhead kinks.

I have the wide irons because my hair is waist length and they don't curl as well as the narrow irons do, so I kept my GHDs just for curling, but after using the cloud9's I hated how the ghds just weren't as smooth through my hair. Then my OH bought me a cloud9 curling wand for Christmas last year and my ghds haven't left my drawer since!
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    try Remington s3500, you never know you might save £80!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure