PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Hundred Year Old Man. It started out ok but it was just so implausible.

Sometimes it's good to suspend belief and just enjoy a yarn, I think.
    FWIW I enjoyed this book.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simon Kernick's the Bone Field is well worth a read. So that is book 13 for the year done.

Going to give "the Lifeboat" a go next.

will report back when done with it.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm reading The Rainbow by DH Lawrence
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I read a few this week.

Book 13:
    41QLnjoz04L._AC_US218_.jpg

4/10. The concepts were fine, but the repetition was ridiculous, of the "why say something once when you can say it 10 times?" school of literature. So if anything, I guess the fault lies with the editing - it could have been less than 1/4 of the length it was.

Book 14:
    51WtwL01TIL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3/10 - I found this to be an utter load of codswallop. Ok, it's a very amateurish attempt at psychology and there is a scientific basis to some of the suggestions, but sorely lacks credibility as the ideas are wrapped up as the author's. (There is a big difference between finding something helps and presenting the idea as your own). I know Fearne Cotton has been through depression but I think she has yet to find that it's a much longer journey than she might realise. This book is not a cure-all, at best it's a sticking plaster that will come off in the shower.

Book 15:
    41k9qt6p3aL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8/10 - written in a style that is easy to read, but the subject matter was anything but easy to grapple with. It made me question how I view prisoners and whether they are ever treated fairly after serving their sentences. It's a relatively short book but one that is well worth reading, ideal for a book group in fact.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I finished UnLunDun. It was ok, but didn't turn out to be anything special and I found the dialogue unconvincing. Most of the characters 'sounded' the same, and attempts to make the main character sound different just didn't seem natural.

I'm now reading Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, a nice quick read which is severely challenging my view of Asgard, which comes to me from Marvel via Hollywood.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2017 at 6:29AM
    Options
    Just finished Charlotte Rogan - The Lifeboat.

Felt it lacked something, not sure what though.

so am now open to suggestions for my next read.

my next read is:-

27276280.jpg
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Ames
    Options
    I'm halfway through Frankenstein. It's a lot different to what I expected, and to the hollywood versions of the story I'm used to. I am finding there are a lot of 'oh, how convenient' moments. The bit of the introduction I read (before giving up when I realised it was going to give a way spoilers) said that was a problem with it, due to it being her first novel.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I'm halfway through Frankenstein. It's a lot different to what I expected, and to the hollywood versions of the story I'm used to. I am finding there are a lot of 'oh, how convenient' moments. The bit of the introduction I read (before giving up when I realised it was going to give a way spoilers) said that was a problem with it, due to it being her first novel.
    Its been collecting dust in one of my bookcases for years, will I ever get round to reading it I wonder?

Book 15 finished last night:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKY_dytDotNAIUuR2mXK8k0DU3Z6v81-xRp_XYhPSJvVQVF0Pj

8/10. A collection of seemingly simple, but highly allegorical essays. I love Maya Angelou!:T:T:T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ames
    Options
    I've had Frankenstein on my shelf for years too. It's quite thin (especially for a classic!) and easy to read. A lot more intelligent and less shock horror-y than I expected, if you see what I mean?

Although I have wondered what it would be like to read it not knowing what it was about, if the shock would be greater? But would even the first readers have picked it up without that knowledge, since presumably it would be marketed just like books now where the blurb often gives away the premise of a story.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Books returned to the library today:

Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King

I'd picked this up before the tragic events on Westminster Bridge, so when I started to read it the day after, it seemed in very bad taste due to its early content, so I actually abandoned it for a few days. It turned out to be a good detective thriller, I can't say I'd read it again but it was quite gripping as the story unfolded.

Fear the Worst - Linwood Barclay

Daughter fails to return one night from her summer job, and even worse, when her father goes to the place she worked, no-one had even heard of her. So begins the search. Another good read, but instantly forgettable afterwards (I've just had to google this one to prompt my recall!)

Tap on the Window - Linwood Barclay

A father stops to help one of his son's friends, a teenage girl, which sparks off a chain of dramatic consequences. Another good read, good for a plane journey or holiday.

Across the Bridge - Morag Joss

I really liked this, a highly unusual setting, a unique set of circumstances and a bizarre situation. I'll be looking for more of her books, I'm sure.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure