Letter asking for historic HM Court debt over 8 years after court hearing

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Magistrates Court have nothing to do with the civil court and it is the civil courts, the County Court system that are the ones who register CCJs. So no for whatever that £240 you owe is for you won't from them.
  • MIKELC
    MIKELC Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you... one less thing for me to worry about until Monday now at least. Thank you again
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 2 July 2017 at 4:13AM
    Options
    m33r4 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post - please move it to the right thread otherwise please mods.

Yesterday I received a letter from HM Courts & Tribunals Service, signed by HISTORIC DEBT ENFORCEMENT TEAM, informing me that "There is still an outstanding balance on the above account which was imposed at THE MAGISTRATES COURT on 09.01.2008." The sum is for £240.

Attached to this letter is a pink "How to pay your fine" double-sided page containing details of a Payment Line, Allpay Card, Direct Debit. I recall receiving a summons to Derby Magistrates court in 2008 for non payment of a bill. I attended Court and was informed it was non payment of TV Licence or SKY (not quite sure). I informed the magistrate that the bill in question was from my previous address in Wembley during the time I was living there and married to my ex-husband. He was the owner of the house and paid all the bills and all utilities were on his name. I was not working, not earning and a full time mum to 3 kids. I informed her I was not responsible for the bills but my ex-husband was. I believe I gave the court his business address. The magistrate noted it all and informed me I was not liable for this bill. I believed that was the end of the case. I never heard back from them since attending court.

Now over 8 years later, I get the letter I mentioned above (scanned images of all I received are below). What's going on? Is this a scam?

Letter%20from%20Historic%20Debt%20Court_zpsmrbwgny5.jpgHow%20to%20pay%20front%20page_zpswpn5ifp3.jpg
    How%20to%20pay%20back%20page_zpsgs9edlsp.jpg
    Envelope%20from%20Historic%20Debt%20Court_zpsrzyw8op5.jpg

If this is from the MAGISTRATES court then it is in respect of a FINE following CRIMINAL CONVICTION.
    This has nothing to do with sky tv, utility bills, county court judgements, unpaid consumer debt or the statute of limitations.
    You MUST PAY FINES FOR CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS OR YOU WILL BE SENT TO PRISON,
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2017 at 11:20AM
    Options
    You would be liable for it as an adult living at the address, who watches television broadcasts on the date alleged regardless of who is in charge of paying the bills. Is it possible the magistrate said that they would only ask you to pay it if they were unable to get payment from your ex-husband which after 8 years they have given up trying to free tit out of him.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,885 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Guys, this thread is 6 months old, and the OP has not been back to update us, however, if you read the original post correctly, you will see, this matter related to her ex partner, and not the OP.

It appears the Historic Debts Team have targeted the wrong person here, thats why i advised they contact the historic debts team and explain they have the wrong person, and hopefully, thats what they did.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • amygeorgina
    Options
    So I know this thread is old but I feel like I can generally trust the advice from people on this site.

Get home this evening and husband has had one similar, except this isn't 'historical' it's just, Fine Due asking for £350. Had one letter from TV Licencing last week telling us we'd missed a payment and we had until 18th July to pay it, fine. Then this drops through the door, and putting 2+2 together, he's assuming it must be for that.

But, !!!!!!?! It doesn't even tell us what the debt is for. It's literally one double sided sheet of paper, doesn't say what for, or even have anyone's name/signature at the bottom.

So confused, and now bricking ourselves. We're struggling to live as it is with two children, childcare, rent (in SW London) despite having good jobs. ARGH!!! Stress central!!
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    If this is from the MAGISTRATES court then it is in respect of a FINE following CRIMINAL CONVICTION.
    This has nothing to do with sky tv, utility bills, county court judgements, unpaid consumer debt or the statute of limitations.
    You MUST PAY FINES FOR CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS OR YOU WILL BE SENT TO PRISON,

Why are you re-replying to a thread you've already replied on over seven months ago? :T
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    So I know this thread is old but I feel like I can generally trust the advice from people on this site.

Get home this evening and husband has had one similar, except this isn't 'historical' it's just, Fine Due asking for £350. Had one letter from TV Licencing last week telling us we'd missed a payment and we had until 18th July to pay it, fine. Then this drops through the door, and putting 2+2 together, he's assuming it must be for that.

But, !!!!!!?! It doesn't even tell us what the debt is for. It's literally one double sided sheet of paper, doesn't say what for, or even have anyone's name/signature at the bottom.

So confused, and now bricking ourselves. We're struggling to live as it is with two children, childcare, rent (in SW London) despite having good jobs. ARGH!!! Stress central!!

Calm down a bit and look at the letter again.

You'll have a reference of some sort, along with the letterhead stating who/which court it was issued by.

Call the court in question with the reference, they'll tell you what it's for.

It may be for the TVL but as it gave you until 18th July to pay, it's either issued way before it should be, or could be something else.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • jack7979
    Options
    Mine just says 'the magistrates court', doesnt give the name of the court.
  • Skiip40
    Options
    Recieved a letter from them today demanding a debt of £250 issued back in 2010,I believe its regarding the TV license, when i was living as a tennant and my landlord and his family was also living in the same house, remember one day had a knock at the door and there was chap from TV license, it was silly of me gave him my details and right after three weeks i received the letter from Sutton Magistrates court demanding the sum of £250.I remember writing to the court and explaining the whole situation that i am only a tennant at this property and have paid my share to my landlord and also i remember receiving the reply from the court they have resolved this issue and the matter is closed,and right after 7 years i have this HISTORICAL TEAM chasing me for the sum of £250 again?need help..:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure