Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sugar pleased that you are settling back into to work.

Just a quick one from me. The children are back at school, so it means I get my Fridays back. It will be nice to have a bit of time to myself. I do fancy a bit of a potter around at home, but I have a laser appointment tomorrow, which, unfortunately takes up most of the day, due to it being quite far away.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    A quick pre holiday post.

Have to admit I am feeling a bit flat... work is getting me down, the woman who supposedly works for me has been out sick since January and I am having to do things I could do in my sleep, and not having the time to deal with important things because they aren't yet urgent, but it's not long before they will become that way. I've left my bosses with a paper explaining the likely impact of this with the hope they will take action while I am away but they are so slow at taking action I am not that hopeful!

Anyway, hopefully once I get together with my friends that will be the distraction I need. Staying at a hotel near the airport tonight and a couple of my friends are staying there too, then will meet the rest at the airport in the morning. Hoping my knee holds out for the hiking - I have it lightly taped at present and have a kit with me the physio gave me to retape or move onto tighter taping if needed. Also got tubi-grip and plastic bags so I can get ice from the hotel and put ice packs on the knee after walks if it's giving me trouble.

Taken today as holiday to finish packing and drive to the airport hotel before the main rush hour - starting my trip caught in horrid traffic wouldn't be a good start.

Anyway, hopefully the time away will put me back to my more normal positive state. I've been so down this week I even had a little binge last night which is something I haven't done all year and feel really quite ashamed of, so back on the wagon when I get home, I feel physically bad for not eating so healthily as well as cross with myself, and I think it's a bit of a vicious circle, feel bad because of stuff that happens outside my control, respond by messing up something in my control, feel bad about that and then do more self destructive things... done it so many times before! So time to pause, reset and get back on the wagon. If I don't look after myself, no one else will do it for me.

Have a good couple of weeks all x
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Indie. Sorry to hear you are feeling low. Hope you have a fabulous holiday, some good times with friends will, I'm sure, make you feel heaps better. Hope the knee holds up.;)

And, don't beat yourself up for slipping off the wagon......it happens to the best of us.

Fab Friday.....I nearly went clothes shopping for some jeans/trousers and knitwear but couldn't be bothered. Perhaps tomorrow. Just went to Aldi instead.

Feeling tired now, so just going to rest a bit, tackle the ironing and then an easy dinner.

Hope you all have a fab weekend.

Oh BTW. We legally completed yesterday, DS2s house is now officially mine. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just went to Aldi instead.

Same here LL, we know how to live!:rotfl:

Sorry to hear you're feeling low indie, hope the holiday sorts you out. I'm all for workers rights but someone being off sick since January and you picking up her work compared with sugarbaby at the other end of the spectrum with very few rights at all doesn't seem fair. :(

I had a great time in Stratford upon Avon. I haven't been there since I was a child so enjoyed taking in the Shakespeare sights plus the theatre and a NT property nearby. That still left time for lots of leisurely meals and good company with our friends. The weather was kind to us and the wardrobe I took worked out well. We'll definitely visit the area again. There are heaps of NT properties in a small radius and Stratford is a super centre with all its restaurants. We stayed at a Premier Inn which I can thoroughly recommend: clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and in an excellent location. What was noticeable is how fortunate DH and I are to have good health. One of my friends has some mobility issues due to arthritis (and if I'm honest excess weight) and it really does prevent her fully enjoying life. As it was her birthday treat we took it at her pace but left to us we'd have walked further and faster!:D

Back now and starting to undo some of the damage that eating out always does. I did my meal plan and food shopping so nothing to stop me.

I'm planning to see Victoria and Abdul too. I really enjoyed Mrs Brown years ago so expect it to be similar. I have been watching Victoria on Sundays (fills the hole left by Poldark). I'm enjoying the history and the spectacle although I think the young woman who plays Victoria is far too pretty for the role. I've been looking at lots of royal portraiture lately and considering they were done to impress (both the sitter as patron and the public) then there is no way Victoria would have been that pretty even as a young woman. I wonder if the series will continue as she ages and fattens up?

Not a great deal on this weekend other than a match tomorrow. Dancing starts again next week (I need the exercise!) and DH's birthday on Wednesday. I'm a bit fed up of the rapid change in the weather (can't believe just last Saturday I was in short sleeves and sandals:() but hopefully will soon get my autumn head on and start to enjoy the season.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Indie I'm sorry if this seems out of turn, but a company that does not provide temporary support to replace a member of staff on long term sickness leave (i.e. 3+ months) is taking the mick. That situation is unsustainable for anything over 3 months, and 7 months is just a money saving exercise with no respect for the staff having to keep everything going. Can I suggest that when you return, you stamp your feet for a temp, or at least half an existing staff member's time to support your work?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I have completed my 1st week back at work and even though it was very hard on me physically, it was the right decision for me. Being on light duties for a few weeks will help me to adjust to being back at work without going so overboard, that I take a step backwards health wise. :D I did have to take painkillers all week to get by, but now today, I have not woken up in too much pain, so no painkillers needed. :)

My son got a B in A Level Philosophy so it was a hat trick. I am so proud of him. Another celebration meal in Pizza Express tomorrow, courtesy of Nectar Summer Rewards vouchers. :)

My daughter and I are going to see the film Detroit today, compliments of a Nectar Summer Rewards Vue cinema voucher. :)

Indie, I hope your holiday has got off to a good start. When you return home feeling energised, please tackle the issue at work head on before you work yourself to a frazzle.
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello ladies :)

Have not been on for ages but am keeping up with reading the thread :o

Nothing has really changed since the start of the year as I have not managed to loose weight and have put some back on :(

So I'm back on it now. Going to calorie count for a few weeks to get in the swing of it then just continue to eat that way. This weekend I will be batch cooking lots of healthy meals and soups for freezer.

Not feeling very fab. Had hair cut shortish in Jan and decided to grow it but just realised I've not even had it trimmed! Going to book a groupon for a trim then will go back to Toni and guy in November and get my fringe back in as decided I prefer it with one (hard decision as I had a thick blunt one so it took 18 months to grow out!) :o

Going to start back at gym tomorrow or Tuesday so hopefully it will all go in the right way!

Congrats on your first week back sugar, hope each week gets easier :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies,

Hope you have an enjoyable and restorative holiday Indie.
    Good to hear that have made it through the first week back at work Sugar and :j on your son's exam results, another good reason to celebrate.
    We visited Stratford earlier in the year Maman during our week in the Cotswolds and especially enjoyed the live performances in the courtyard of Shakespeare's house.

Well I had an especially Fab Friday as went to pick up my new horse :T she travelled very well, the traffic gods were with us and she is now safely ensconced in her new home. She is such a sweetheart and we have already had a couple of little cuddles :) she will need a new saddle as Bill's old one is too long so she will have a few days off ridden work until the saddler can come out next Friday, but I will do some work in hand and lunge her just to keep her ticking over.
    With new tack, rugs etc I can see that, for certainly the next few months, there will be very little money left over to spend on myself but that's fine, would rather it was that way round than no horse and disposable cash. So perhaps it's a good thing that have I have built up a decent wardrobe and have no real 'needs' for some time!
    My nesting however is continuing, the new heavy winter cover for our bed is perfect, warm, cosy and a smashing lilac colour. The sheet and pillowcases are very good quality so all in all am pleased with my purchases.
    Right, the rain has stopped so time to pop over the stable to check on my girly, have a good evening everyone x
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

When I saw Detroit yesterday, I found the extreme violence really disturbing and shocking. This film is based on fact and it is a very absorbing and brilliantly made film. I would not allow a 15 year old teenager to watch it though, as I do not think it is suitable for any teenager despite the film board classification.

Chippy Girl, welcome back and always remember that you can be fab at any size. I have gained 2 stones this year due to ill health, but at last I am beginning to get back on my feet. I still make the effort to look the best that I can and take good care of my body with lots of pampering at home while I am slowly starting to lose the weight gain.

Lainey
    , your obvious pleasure in your new horse just shines out of your post. I wish all the best for the both of you.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lainey, your obvious pleasure in your new horse just shines out of your post. I wish all the best for the both of you.

Oh it does:). I'm so glad you're getting so much pleasure already and that the 'move' went smoothly. I know absolutely nothing about horses but it's good to read about your happy times.

Sugarbaby's right that it is worth looking after yourself chippy at all times. I'm confident you'll feel better when you do tackle the weightloss but meantime carry on with establishing good fabbing habits. Regular visits to the hairdresser would be high on my list. I never feel fab when my hair's a mess.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the live courtyard performances Lainey. We have decided to go back again as a group and see some of the things we missed. Although we had tickets for 3 properties we only managed 2 (and missed out on the courtyard) as my friend moves so slowly and needs frequent stops.

My DGD has gone back to university today but it's her birthday next weekend so we'll get to see her again soon. She was in halls last year but today she's moving into a house with friends. It's DH's birthday on Thursday. I'm hoping we'll go out somewhere nice for the day. I have ideas but really he needs to decide as it shouldn't be my choice. So likely to be 2 meals out this week which while good to have an opportunity to dress up a bit isn't good for the weightloss!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure