Would closing barclays current account affect my barclaycard?

Options
my wife and I have held our main joint account with barclays for a long time. we also both have a barclaycard each carrying balances that would be awkward to pay off instantly.

The service in our local barclays branch has completely gone down the toilet. the cashiers have all been replaced with ATMs, there is always a huge queue to use the ATMs.

The final straw was on this weeks visit I was told the the quick depost system (where you put the deposit in an envelope with your account details and post it in a slot) is now being withdrawn, and the only way to deposit cash will be to queue at the ATMs. The member of staff I spoke to refused to give me an envelope to use.

I'm a Taxi driver, so regularly need to deposit cash .. . .

If we close/switch this account to a bank that gives a toss about their customers are barclays likely to either close or reduce limits on our barclaycards as we no longer bank with them ??

Mat

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In a word....no. As long as you run your BC account in line with the T&C’s, they would have no reason to.
    If you are on a 0% deal of some kind, they must honour this. If you are paying interest on your balance, they are making money from you.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You mentioned the cashiers have been replaced by ATMs. Are you sure these aren't deposit machines? If so, just use your debit card to deposit cash (notes) there. If you're depositing coins too then they shouldn't refuse you counter service.

To answer your main question, no, being a current account holder isn't required unless your credit card type is Better Together.
    : )
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2018 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Wot the Go To bank has done wrong again. Don't believe it !! or do i ?:D but don't worry as good old Shakin will be along soon to help you. He is a bit of a GoTo fan because of his boy Shakinjunior

Just switch accounts and get a bonus.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Wot the Go To bank has done wrong again. Don't believe it !! or do i ?:D but don't worry as good old Shakin will be along soon to help you. He is a bit of a GoTo fan because of his boy Shakinjunior

Just switch accounts and get a bonus.
    Yes, as I was posting to tell him it would be OK to leave, I was also sending him a personal message to beg him to stay. :D
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, as I was posting to tell him it would be OK to leave, I was also sending him a personal message to beg him to stay. :D

Pure poetry. You should take a career singing.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport