PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord overcharging for Lease Extension (section 42)

Options
2»

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The £2k - £3k is presumably for cases which go all the way through the Tribunal process.

You can still negotiate after tribunal proceedings have been issued. If the case settles you simply withdraw the proceedings.

I would be very tempted to go ahead and issue tribunal proceedings. That will show the landlord that you are serious and force them to communicate.

Alongside issuing the tribunal proceedings, your solicitors can send the landlord a separate 'without prejudice' letter offering £4k in full and final settlement of the claim.
  • sponge12345
    sponge12345 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:42PM
    Options
    Hi, I've deleted this post for reasons of anonymity. I'm probably being a bit stupid but just in case.
    When everything is finished I'll update the thread and tell you what happened.
  • sponge12345
    sponge12345 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 1:26AM
    Options
    thanks again for the replies.
    People have mentioned the 'Without Prejudice', I'd never heard this before but its seems an important detail when trying to negotiate.
    I will keep this thread updated.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks again for the replies.
    People have mentioned the 'Without Prejudice', I'd never heard this before but its seems an important detail when trying to negotiate.
    I will keep this thread updated.

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Without Prejudice” means the other side cannot refer to your increased offer at tribunal.

[/FONT] “[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Without Prejudice Save as to Cost” mean you can refer to your offer to settle after the premium has been decided, if you think the tribunal would award costs because of the landlords unreasonable behaviour.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure