Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    As for "Shouting" at them, as another has said - where do I say that?

People have spoken to them in my hearing, by asking them politely to ride in single file.
    So... whilst passing these horse riders at a safe distance, these drivers have wound their passenger window down and spoken to the riders in a perfectly respectful tone...

Of course they did. I'm sure they didn't bellow abuse themselves at all...

Look, it's very simple - if the driver was planning on leaving sufficient space, it doesn't much matter whether the horses/cyclists/pedestrians (hey, novel idea - let's call them "other road users") are single file or not.

It only becomes an issue if the driver is planning on squeezing past where there really isn't space, usually because of oncoming traffic.

Highway Code, rules 163, 212 and 215.

163 even comes with a pretty picture and a caption in the online version, to make it really obvious for the hard-of-thinking entitled.

Yes, both 66 and 53 suggest cyclists and horse riders should ride no more than TWO ABREAST, single file on narrow/busy roads. If you're going to point to that, then can I point you to 147?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    "As the expensiveness of the car increased, the drivers' tendencies to break the law increased as well" (8m 08s into the video)

Money%20Mean_zpsidjk2vza.jpg

Specifically, drivers in more expensive cars are not giving way to pedestrians when they are legally obliged to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31761576

I recently had occasion to stay for a few days in a very affluent area with an abundance of expensive cars.

Driving around I could not believe the driving. Almost without exception most were driving above the speed limit and were continually up my backside itching to get past.

There were no speed cameras around and not once did I see a police car so they obviously know they can do it and get away with it.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    When I witness heated words, they are rarely if ever whispered or spoken at a reasonable volume. If people are using choice words, they are generally screamed or shouted, something you should never do in proximity to horses on a road even if you think the rider is being a tw@t
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Walking facing traffic affords the ability to see traffic and be ready for it, especially in those situations where you might step around something or trip trying to, just as a bus comes barrelling past......

On straight sections I would face traffic but there is no way I would walk facing traffic on the inside of a blind bend - I would move to outside on bends so I am visible to approaching traffic.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    This 'Giving Way' question has made me wonder about another situation.

Near me is a long bypass which, although only single-file, is actually a very wide road. There seems to be this odd local tradition that, when using the bypass, drivers drive as close to the verge as possible, creating a third "lane" down the middle of the road so people can whizz along at 70-80mph.

Am I obliged to give way if a car is hurtling towards me? If I wasn't to get over and therefore cause a crash, would I be at fault because I could have created space for the oncoming car? Or would they be at fault for driving on the wrong side of the road?

They would be at fault because they are overtaking.

However at an apparent closing speed of well over 100moh from waht you say then the question of blame would be academic for parties involved, you could argue it out upstairs or downstairs assuming you end up in the same place on the afterlife.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without reading this thread in full - 1 and only 1.

Pedestrians have ultimate priority here - morally and if not legally. They don't have to get on a verge or dive into a hedge because you are oncoming. Sure if they can then that helps everyone. Obstruction is on your side, following the Highway Code, so you defer to oncoming traffic. Simple. End of.
    The man without a signature.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    What do you do?

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Real life situation - I see it every day. What's the correct answer? An increasing number of drivers seem not to know what it is.
    I am surprised that anyone needs to ask this question.
    Number 1 - like duh! you needed to ask
    Number 2 is an illegal use of the horn
    Number 3 you could try, but then the pointy end of my hiking stick might accidentally get dragged right up the side of the vehicle as I tried not to get hit.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am surprised that anyone needs to ask this question.
    Number 1 - like duh! you needed to ask
    Number 3 you could try, but then the pointy end of my hiking stick might accidentally get dragged right up the side of the vehicle as I tried not to get hit.

Not so long ago I knew a man round here who used to carry a brick in a carrier bag, reserved for similar use! :)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not so long ago I knew a man round here who used to carry a brick in a carrier bag, reserved for similar use! :)

That was just father jack taking his pet out for a walk.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options

Only at night or if the car is stationary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure