ESA still no review after 4+ years

Options
Back in July/August 2013 I got a form to ask how I was iro my ESA claim. I filled in the form and attached a letter from my psychiatrist. I was put in the support group without a medical. I eventually phoned up to see how long the award would be. I was told 3 years. 4+ years later I still haven't had a new enquiry form iro the ESA claim. So have DWP decided to right me off, without telling me? or is it just that I am lucky? Has this happened to anyone else? I am loathe to ring DWP up, as I get very distressed with phone calls to officials. I have been on IB since 2001, then ESA support group. I also have DLA but haven't had the PIP invitation yet either. I am getting worked up worrying that a double pile of grief is going to land on my doorstep any day now.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There was a backlog for ESA. Up until last year I waited 4 years then the ESA50 form came through the door. They will catch up with you but I wouldn’t rock the boat and ring them.

Your DLA to PIP transfer can be anytime from now up until the next few months. I would start to gather some evidence now to save time when you do get then invite.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i had an assessment in july 2017. my first since october 2011
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    We have had a couple of similar threads her recently, and the same replies, and I will do my same reply...which is to advise you that you may think you are not being reassessed but actually you are or have been and maybe something has gone wrong.

It is entirely possible that you were referred for reassessment a year ago, and it is possible that

You did not receive the letter
    it is possible your referral is still open now waiting for an assessment
    or it is possible it is now closed after you missed the appointment.

It is possible the referall recently closed or closed a long time ago. If it closed a long time ago it is possible DWP have forgotten to close your claim.
    or it is possible it occured a long time ago and the medical services got all the information they needed from your doctor and put you in the support group again.

You may not believe me, but in those other threads they also found it hard to believe, but when they checked like I told them to at least one of them did find that my suggestion was indeed what had happened.

You have to decide what to do.
    I understand you may not want to phone DWP, but you can phone Medical Services, they are not connected to the DWP, and they will not take any action if you call them...0800 2 888777
    You can ask them
    Is there a live referral for me for ESA assessment?
    When did the last ESA referral start and close?

If it is in 2013 nothing to worry about
    If it was recent you should ask what was the result of the referral why did it close?
    and then phone DWP
  • mad_spaniel
    Options
    As per epitome's advice I spoke to a lovely lady at Medical Services. I got through straight away, despite it being Monday. She said there was no medical pending and the last one was 2013. So I guess it's just a waiting gametill DWP send something through. Thanks to all who replied. I assume I do nothing now, just sit and wait?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As there is absolutely no potential financial benefit to the OP in having another assessment, my advice would be to do nothing.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do nothing ... I hadn't heard so like an idiot I called them . . . someone noticed my reassessment date had been entered, accidentally, as 2019 not 2017 & despite her assurances that she'd leave it & i'd be called in 2019, yep, the ESA50 arrived

Luckily now I am ok until 2019, having been reassessed, but i'd not go bringing it to their attention
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My guess, I probably was a exception (29 or 35) in SG, would I be reassessed again?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    My guess, I probably was a exception (29 or 35) in SG, would I be reassessed again?
    Yes at some point you will be.
  • justaquestion
    justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2017 at 6:47PM
    Options
    As per epitome's advice I spoke to a lovely lady at Medical Services. I got through straight away, despite it being Monday. She said there was no medical pending and the last one was 2013. So I guess it's just a waiting gametill DWP send something through. Thanks to all who replied. I assume I do nothing now, just sit and wait?

I used to ring up, loads of anxiety just waiting, and I now realise that in most of the cases its not a good idea.

Eg one time I rang up as my ESA50 form has just went back and I was a little worried if I would have to go for a medical or not.

Oh we will transfer you to medical services they said, and the kind gentleman said " oh how long is it anyways since you have been for a medical" and I told him.

Within a few days I received a letter telling me the date to go for a medical, Ok I might have had to go for a medical anyways, but I remain convinced that ringing up only sped up that process, maybe the person you speak to in medical services has the power to book a medical for you, you never can tell.

On another occasion when I was on IB I actually rang up and arranged a medical for myself, such as was my worry about it.

Sometimes you have to ring up to find out something, but remember, strike a balance, you might only be making things worse for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure