IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ASDA - "Nothing to do with us"

Options

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Morrisons fall from grace is linked too closely to the "parking firm from hell" to be anything but coincidental.
    You can not get a taxi to collect at many stores now as the drivers are sick of getting "double dipped" by the eye in the sky parking system.
    In a "budget supermarket" not having a taxi service that will collect the weekly shopping must be a fatal mistake.

Every one of these extortion racket tickets is a clear message to your customersm do not come back, we do not want your money.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    Options
    PPCs aren't very good at signage are they?. Just take a look at most Parking Eye signs . They say "BB holders and parents with toddlers only in those allocated spaces" This could be read as meaning that those two groups of motorists can only park in those bays and nowhere else in the car park .

That raises another question, how do you define a "toddler"?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    "Child car"?

27034D9B00000578-0-image-m-6_1427391619905.jpg
    "child (car or booster) seat", I believe.
    trisontana wrote: »
    How can they prove that a child is over the age of twelve? Does this mean that parents will have to start carrying their child's birth certificate or passport?
    They are very unlikely to be using a booster seat at that age, so it becomes a moot point.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    When will these companies see how much damage PPCs are causing them?

That may depend on the outcome of the Beavis case and/or the challenge the fine appeal, and backing from the likes of the consumer association/trading standards etc to make sure that motorists are refunded any parking charges that they have been conned into paying and those dong the re-funding would be the individual stores, and the same people who spout the line "nothing to do with us " would be the ones offering the refunds and dealing with hoards of angry customers
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's an interesting idea, though.
    I don't buy the idea that a woman "with child" is the same as a woman with a child.
    But I do believe that pregnant women should be given extra help where appropriate, as should disabled people. When I used to travel on the tube I would always give up my seat for a pregnant woman, whether I was in the designated seat to do so or not.

To me it sort of boils down to the same question as whether a disabled person (without children with them) has a moral right to use a p&c space when there are no disabled spaces. I would say yes.
    I know that neither has a legal standing here, but I wonder if a PPC would ticket a car with a blue badge and no child seat in a p&c space.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    P&C spaces have no legal backing - they are purely a marketing gimmick. Anyone can park in one; if a PCN is issued then the defence is standard GPEoL.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "child (car or booster) seat", I believe.

I know what it is meant to be, but it should be A Child's seat or a Booster.

I am being pedantic, but not all seats are "car" seats, if they wish to offer a contract or convey a message they should at least be using the correct terminology.
  • trisontana
    Options
    Our old friend Helen Dolphin was on Radio 4's You and Yours today saying that those disabled drivers who cannot obtain a blue badge because they cannot meet the strict criteria laid down by councils should park in P&C bays if ordinary bays are too narrow for them, or are too far away from the store entrance.
  • trisontana
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    I know what it is meant to be, but it should be A Child's seat or a Booster.

I am being pedantic, but not all seats are "car" seats, if they wish to offer a contract or convey a message they should at least be using the correct terminology.

Precisely. If PPC's are using their signs as a quasi-legal document when issuing their fake fines, then they should be written unambiguously and not be open to misinterpretation.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Precisely. If PPC's are using their signs as a quasi-legal document when issuing their fake fines, then they should be written unambiguously and not be open to misinterpretation.

The UTCCRs say that for any term in a consumer contract that is ambiguous, the interpretation that favours the consumer shall be paramount. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure