Working while on Maternity Allowance

Options
pioneer22
pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

Are you able to work with another employer while on MA? My wife is considering doing some supply work (she's a teacher)

Thanks

EDIT: There are exceptional circumstances as to why she would not go back to work where she is in a substantive position straight away.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    I hope not, kinda sounds like a pi#s take.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    No you can't

If you are on SMP from an employer and had a different employer as well when pregnant you can work for that employer only (ie say you have two jobs during the pregnancy you could chose to return to one earlier than the other - but you can't start a new job once you've had the baby and still get paid maternity leave)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The OP is simply asking a question so I'm not suggesting they are attempting anything untoward. On some benefits you can do a certain amount of work and still retain entitlement. MA / SMP do not fall into that category.
  • KateBob
    KateBob Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your wife can work up to 10 keeping in touch (KIT) days whilst on maternity leave, i believe they have to be with her current employer however.

These must be agreed by both parties and the actual work to be undertaken agreed before the work begins.

Sorry just reread your original query, she cannot work for another employer only the one paying her maternity leave.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    Kate/Bob wrote: »
    Your wife can work up to 10 keeping in touch (KIT) days whilst on maternity leave, i believe they have to be with her current employer however.

These must be agreed by both parties and the actual work to be undertaken agreed before the work begins.

Sorry just reread your original query, she cannot work for another employer only the one paying her maternity leave.

Thanks, I take it there aren't any exceptions to this rule?
  • pioneer22
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    No you can't

If you are on SMP from an employer and had a different employer as well when pregnant you can work for that employer only (ie say you have two jobs during the pregnancy you could chose to return to one earlier than the other - but you can't start a new job once you've had the baby and still get paid maternity leave)

Unfortunately we don't have our baby.

going back full time isn't an option at present.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your wife could do self employed work. Or work for another employer if her current contract allows it

I posted a couple of informative links on your other post in the benefits forum
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that

As per the below link

https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/what-work-can-you-do-during-maternity-leave-2/

If you are getting MA then any work at all beyond the 10 KIT days will stop your MA. It doesn’t matter who the work is for or if it is on a self employed basis.

Therefore the only work your wife can do is the 10 KIT days
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »

If I'm interpreting this correctly you have my sympathy. I suspect the rules around MA don't have contingencies for this but you might want to try to get more formal advice from somewhere like CAB.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If I'm interpreting this correctly you have my sympathy. I suspect the rules around MA don't have contingencies for this but you might want to try to get more formal advice from somewhere like CAB.

I didn't think so either, thanks I'll try them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure