PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Options

Comments

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Our local dry cleaners do any size quilt for £5....I had my superking washed 3 weeks ago :rolleyes:

pp
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • GreenFingers_2
    Options
    Hello SalThePal,

I bought my king size duvet about a year ago. I was assured it was a quality item, full of duck down and things and a 12 TOG…. whatever that is…. It certainly is a good one – really warm.

Anyway, I thought it must be time to give it a wash and tried like you to get it into the washing machine… there is just no way it was going to fit. Popped into town to the dry cleaners and had to pay £19.50 for it to be done – phew! The lady in the shop said they should be dry cleaned annually but interestingly not in the Coin Operated machines. So that is another item that has to be budgeted for. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello SalThePal,

I bought my king size duvet about a year ago. I was assured it was a quality item, full of duck down and things and a 12 TOG…. whatever that is…. It certainly is a good one – really warm.

Anyway, I thought it must be time to give it a wash and tried like you to get it into the washing machine… there is just no way it was going to fit. Popped into town to the dry cleaners and had to pay £19.50 for it to be done – phew! The lady in the shop said they should be dry cleaned annually but interestingly not in the Coin Operated machines. So that is another item that has to be budgeted for. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

You say there was just no way it was going to fit...............was this into your washing machine at home or into the very large washing machines in a launderette? If you've tried the vl machines in a launderette, fair enough.

Otherwise, save yourself some money (and the dry cleaning chemical smells) and take it to the launderette.

Our double bed size down duvet is washed in the vl machine at the launderette (with Ariel Bio Auto Powder) and dried in their huge dryer. It's normally done in the summer months so that the duvet can be hung on the washing line to air.............but I would still try the launderette now if I was in your shoes.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If yours is a washable duvet you would do better to have it washed at a launderette than buy a cheapy one. Those cheap ones are hollow fibre and just arnt as good as the washable ones. They dont keep you as warm and dont last as long.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't let the dog in there in the future!

It is better for the environment, i would have thought, to get something cleaned rather than to throw it away and get a new one.
    Could you safety pin 2 singles together to make a king size? These may fit in your home machine. But they are so heavy when wet they probably damage the machine.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • bonvonnie
    Options
    we had the same dilema a few months back, when feeding my newborn, she burped it all back up onto the duvet, as we'd had it for a couple of years, we decided to buy a new one, as I rang around a few lauderettes, and dry cleaners, and was quote £10-20 to clean it. i got my new king size cheaper than that, as a family member works for a mail order catalogue, and gets really good discounts :)
  • GreenFingers_2
    Options
    Nile wrote:
    You say there was just no way it was going to fit...............was this into your washing machine at home or into the very large washing machines in a launderette? If you've tried the vl machines in a launderette, fair enough. Otherwise, save yourself some money (and the dry cleaning chemical smells) and take it to the launderette.

Hello Nile,
    Thanks for the tips. I tried to fit it into my own machine at home - it is just to large of course hence going to the Dry Cleaners. There isn't a launderette where I live, in fact the nearest big towns are Ashford and Maidstone some 12 and 18 miles away so a round trip, parking, petrol, time etc make the dry cleaning option the best I think.
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had two duvets done at the lauderette recently, one hollowfibre, one duck feather and down. Both cost £6, and that was for a service wash so I could pick them up later.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    I am lucky as my summer king size duvet fits in the washing machine . but my winter one is way to big. but i found a local company in the yellow pages who picked the duvet up and brought it back the following week. all clean and laundered. all for £8. i was so pleased. i am planning to use this service yearly.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whats it listed under?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories