Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Options

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't tried it but Aubrey Organics hair dye has no chemicals at all in it and claims to cover grey.
    http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/product-54-colour-me-natural-hair-dye-dark-brown.html
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • new
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    I haven't tried it but Aubrey Organics hair dye has no chemicals at all in it and claims to cover grey.
    http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/product-54-colour-me-natural-hair-dye-dark-brown.html
    and did it work?
  • Mrs_Poyser wrote: »
    Renaissance Henna (www.renaissancehenna.co.uk - sorry don't know how to do links!) have lots of information about henna/indigo and how to dye hair without using nasties, as well as lots of info about the chemicals in hair dyes. They do mail order pure and natural henna, which I have just ordered and received, but haven't tried yet.

Unfortunately, like most places online selling henna/indigo they are massively overpriced. I last bought a kilo of indigo for £6 from the local health food shops herb section. Henna is around the same price (65p for 100g / £5 for a kilo).

They are selling £2.50's worth of product for £23 (inc postage). :/
    ॐ Signature Removed by Someones Mum. ॐ
  • meltus
    Options
    If you are looking for a natural hair dye that works you might want to try this site:

http://www.ecohamster.co.uk/index.php?cPath=275_221

they do a range of henna hair dyes that don't contain chemicals but they aren't super cheap.
  • chipotle_2
    chipotle_2 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    If you want a product applied at a hairdressers, I've found that the American brand Aveda is exceedingly good. Pricey, but much much much gentler than any of the other salon brands. You can google the name and find out about the brand.

They make no claims of being 100% organic or 100% natural, but when it comes to colour staying in your hair for a decent amount of time, then I believe you need at least some amount of chemicals.
  • wub100
    wub100 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I word of warning I used Watercolour and ended up with two days in hospital - stupidly I assumed that it did not contain chemicals and it did - it is totally unnatural as is Herbatint - both of these contain PPD which is what so many people are allergic too.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they do a range of henna hair dyes that don't contain chemicals

If something contains no chemicals, what does it contain? Imagination?
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2009 at 11:38AM
    Options
    I cant belive people on here are recommending henna as an "Envoronmentally Firendy" alternative. Henna itself is very dangerous and contains chemicals that, in the worst case, can kill you. Para-phenylendiamine (which is in henna) is banned in some countries because it is so dangerous.

On the other hand Amonia is tipped into the drains daily - it is naturally occuring in your wee. The water treatment works are designed to deal with this stuff - why worry about it?
  • dawkins
    dawkins Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I've started using Logona's cream hair colours: http://www.logona.co.uk/colourcream.html

I use teak, which covers my grey streaks, but makes them light brown, not their original colour. In my eyes, that looks nicer than the previous blatant grey and wiry streaks, so I'm quite happy with the result.
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    If something contains no chemicals, what does it contain? Imagination?

Exactly. Remember the periodic table at school, detailing chemical elements, all naturally occuring?! FYI some organic apple growers incessnantly spray their apples with sulphur. And they can because it is a naturally occuring therefore organic element. Don't get carried away with the organic label, it doesn't mean it can't harm your health.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure