Options
124»

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I booked my journey through ScotRail, the first part of the journey was on Virgin, it was delayed in running, causing me to miss my connection for the second leg, in was on Northern, it was also delayed, in running, arriving late.

The ticket was bought online and collected at the departing station, both legs of journey were printed on the one ticket.

Do I contact ScotRail, Virgin or Northern?

Thanks.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I booked my journey through ScotRail, the first part of the journey was on Virgin, it was delayed in running, causing me to miss my connection for the second leg, in was on Northern, it was also delayed, in running, arriving late.

The ticket was bought online and collected at the departing station, both legs of journey were printed on the one ticket.

Do I contact ScotRail, Virgin or Northern?

Thanks.
    What length of delays are you talking about?

As the delay to the Virgin train caused you to miss your planned Northern train, seek compensation from Virgin.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

thanks, wasn't sure whether to contact ScotRail as I had booked and paid through them.

The Virgin train was nearly an hour late, the Northern would be about the half hour.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

thanks, wasn't sure whether to contact ScotRail as I had booked and paid through them.

The Virgin train was nearly an hour late, the Northern would be about the half hour.
    The only time that matters is the arrival time at your destination.

I note you say "about the half hour".
    So if your arrival at your destination was less than thirty minutes later than you had planned to arrive had you caught your planned second train, then you are not entitled to any compensation.

See here: Virgin Trains - Delay Repay.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    wealdroam wrote: »
    As the delay to the Virgin train caused you to miss your planned Northern train, seek compensation from Virgin.

Contacted Virgin and, 'In view of my experience', got a refund for my outward journey.

Thanks for your help.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a delayed journey from London three weeks ago. VTEC Service was cancelled, took a Midland Mainline instead.

Cheque for refund of journey arrived today.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I think some of the issues around passengers not claiming for delays is the hassle of some TOCs only accepting claims via post (SWT, GA) rather than having an easy to fill out online form where you can scan the tickets to submit.

Posting a claim form is quite easy for the TOC to claim they "never received it", and unless you paid extra for recorded delivery you have no prove you sent it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure