PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please talk me out of going back to ready meals

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I find that pre made meals taste almost nothing like REAL food, becuse there are so many additives, preservatives, salt, sugar and extra chemicals in them.

Maybe your taste buds just need time to adjust?
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2017 at 12:02AM
    Options
    just keep trying, I'm still tweaking meals and learning things and I've been cooking since I was around 9 -ish years old and I'm 52 now so don't give up. I find macaroni is rubbish for freezing so what I do is make a white sauce and freeze that instead, grate the cheese and pop that in a box the fridge. All you have to do is get the sauce out in the morning before you go to work,then when you get in,heat up in a pan over a low heat, stir in the grated cheese bit by bit,you can do this while the pasta is cooking & then just mix the two together.

When you cook a meal make notes of what you did,for instance if there's too much, either freeze or make a note to scale it down for next time. Eventually you will find your way and make shortcuts & prep that suit you better & save you time so they become second nature and not so much of a chore,consider it a challenge that you will master!

If you find it overwhelming just try making one meal a week that you really fancy until you've mastered it and are happy to cook and eat it and then try another one.when I was working I always prepped whatever I could the night before & it made things a lot easier and quicker too
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    So go back to the ready meals, they won't kill you :)

From all your posts you don't sound either a confident cook, nor that you enjoy is, so why bother?

You have decided jacket spuds will be handy, things on toast are just as quick, as is an omelette, all quick and will break up the ready meals expense. Don't bother with the veg, get a salad box instead - even easier

We don't have morrisons or waitrose here, but I remember they both had salad bars. I used to get a box of salad and a hot chicken portion for a quick healthy meal

I slow cook my roosters cos else they would be too tough to eat. They are pure muscle so need the slow long cook. A shop bought chicken I imagine wouldn't be too nice at all slow cooked, rather mushy I'd think
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    The more you do something, the better at it you get. No one can ride a bike straight away, you've to fall off a couple of times first. Don't feel so disheartened. Today I did salmon with new potatoes, broccoli and this lentil thing. Oh my that lentil thing was salty. It's was edible, but so salty. It didn't ruin the meal, I'm not the worst cook ever. It was just one element of one dish that wasn't great and I'll remember next time to leave out the salt if I'm using a stock cube!

In our family we often laugh at each others kitchen disasters. Dad's Boston baked beans is most notorious and sets us off laughing. He used a TIN of molasses instead of a tsp. That was inedible. But the man can make a souffle so well... Except when he forgot the cheese! Ahaha. So really, don't feel it's just you, we all have mistakes and meals that don't go to plan.

Also, are the meals you have been making homemade things you like to eat or things you think you should eat? That would be where I would start if I was going from convenience to cooking. And the more practice you get the quicker you will be. I was able to make a batch of scones whilst making dinner and the whole thing took 35 minutes. I'd never be able to do that in the past. I'd have done salmon, potatoes and just the veg. Which is actually really easy. Prepare new potatoes and set them off to boil, add a steamer on top for broccoli etc after about 5 minutes. Then 5 minutes before the end put the salmon skin side down in a hot, dry pan, turn the heat down a bit. You can see it cooking up the side, when it's about half done flip it. It takes hardly any time or effort.

Re washing up, I hate it too, it really only takes 20 minutes at most. I'm pretty lazy, and I will wash up yesterday's dinner stuff, today's breakfast and lunch stuff while today's dinner stuff is cooking - unless it's fish, that I will always do the same day. It means I'm washing up while dinner is cooking, I mean I'll be in there anyway, I may as well kill two birds with one stone. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for us.

Another quick low effort thing, chunky cut some Potatoes and veg (courgette, butternut squash, peppers etc), chuck in the bottom of a roasting tin or dish, top with chicken thighs, season, chuck in oven, do yesterday's washing up! (might just be me! Haha)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 1:54AM
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »

One success - made a butternut squash soup in the slow cooker, came out really well. Only thing is it only made two portions (in a 3.5 litre slow cooker) because it was that thick.

And then there's the washing up of the slow cooker and other stuff which I can't be bothered with after a full day at work.

ONE dish you like, that works, is justification enough to keep using it, even if it's just for that.

Too thick: Add boiling water to the thick stuff either at the end, or for each portion.

Washing up: What I do is I have a big silicone Ladle (because they bend) and I scrape all the food out with that, then I lift out the pot and if the sink's empty I'll fill it with water. If the sink's not empty I'll set it on the side and fill it with water. At some future point, wipe around the inside of the slow cooker and anything in there should just wipe straight off, then you can tip that out and quickly wash the pot inside and out. OR - use slow cooker liner bags.

Apart from that - it's not a bad thing to still have some ready meals .... you won't change overnight. And it can be a nice treat to spend 80p on something that you COULD'VE made yourself except "Farq It" :)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could you spend a couple of hours on a Sunday prepping for the week ahead? Plate up some meals up until Wednesday, then have a ready meal on Thursday and a jacket potato or oven chips meal with fish or burger or pizza on a Friday.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    -Companies who make ready meals buy in their ingredients, usually dried or frozen often from overseas.
    -The frozen ingredients are kept for YEARS, but by law are allowed to be labelled "Fresh" when defrosted and if the company is here, can be labelled UK made, even if non of the ingredients come from here.
    -The average ready meal contains 60.....SIXTY!!! ingredients
    -Artificial vitamins and minerals
    -Artificial enzymes
    -Badly sourced raw ingredients. ie beef would be from artificial enzyme fed beef rather than grass fed.
    -Low quality ingredients leave you feeling hungry
    -Packed with bad fats, sugars, preservatives and other nasties which can change the nature of the food
    -Contain cooking oils which are made using carcinogenic solvents (vegetable, sunflower, rapeseed, peanut oil etc)
    -Too much salt and sugar.
    -Damaging to health in the long term.

If that's not enough reason not to eat them I don't know what will be :)
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pop up, you've not actually said anything to help the OP, just preached at them and probably given them a guilt trip. You could have offered some motivation or ideas as well at least.

Op, I'd cut the chicken up with some veg and stir fry it- matter of minutes. You can even buy the ready prepped stir fry veg

Slow cooker works well for cheaper cuts of beef/ lamb etc if you eat them, and product usually freezes well.

Nothing wrong with a salad, piece of nice bread or a bit of cooked pasta, cooled and some cheese or ham as a meal if you like it.

Rice is fast to cook (15 min max, depending on type unless of course it's brown rice) and really isn't that hard. Add stir fry, defrosted chilli etc
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    arbrighton wrote: »
    Pop up, you've not actually said anything to help the OP, just preached at them and probably given them a guilt trip. You could have offered some motivation or ideas as well at least.

Op, I'd cut the chicken up with some veg and stir fry it- matter of minutes. You can even buy the ready prepped stir fry veg

Slow cooker works well for cheaper cuts of beef/ lamb etc if you eat them, and product usually freezes well.

Nothing wrong with a salad, piece of nice bread or a bit of cooked pasta, cooled and some cheese or ham as a meal if you like it.

Rice is fast to cook (15 min max, depending on type unless of course it's brown rice) and really isn't that hard. Add stir fry, defrosted chilli etc

I beg to differ.
    And I'm not the only one who answered factually, so why single me out?
    The question was "talk me out of going back onto ready meals" so I just listed a few reasons why they shouldn't.
    "Guilt trips" don't come into it.
  • Last time I had a packet meal was in digs on a farm about four years ago. I searched far for one an got a mushroom dish. It was awful, I gave it to the farm dog. He turned his nose up as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure