Savings/Investment Advice

Options
Hi All,

Pretty new to this sorta thing but looking down the forum there seems to be some good advice here.

I am currently on a salary of £30k per year.

After bills food etc I have around £1000 per month surplus - currently just dumping this in a savings account with not a lot in the means of interest.

I have around 8k cash also in savings account.

Is there a better way I could make a better return on my savings?

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over what term are you prepared to leave your money invested? What will you want your do with the money when you need it? What are your current pension arrangements? Do you gave a mortgage and are you planning to extend or get a first mortgage? What level of risk are you prepared to rake with your savings / investments (e.g. how much could you like before you get really worried)?
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • SS2017_2
    Options
    Mortgage I have is part ownership looking to get out of this ASAP but mortgage payment is only £80 p/m I own 25% which equates to £25,000.

I was looking at 5 years to have my money tied up as I would be setting some aside out of my original savings in case of emergency.

I would probably take medium risks nothing I wasn't really sure about.

I have just started a job at a local authority pension is pretty good (havent had the pack through yet) but from what my colleagues tell me I put in 6% they put in 12%.

Not really sure what I will do with the funds when they become available... reinvest or property maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure