PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT on inherited share of property?

Options
2»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Popell wrote: »
    Thanks getmore.. salient bit word for word:- 'I direct my trustees as soon as possible to give in writing to my said daughter (wife) the option of purchasing all my beneficial interest in (or the future proceeds of sale of) the properties (details included)'

I suspect that the intention was as you said

That does not sound like a legacy to me that says she has to buy it which will incur SDLT.

Who inherits the properties in the will.

snippits from wills rarely tell the full picture.
  • Popell
    Popell Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    That does not sound like a legacy to me that says she has to buy it which will incur SDLT.

Who inherits the properties in the will.

snippits from wills rarely tell the full picture.
    I appreciate this is only a snippet - I can't type well enough to get the entire contents in!!
    I'm not sure if you are saying, do you think she will be liable for SDLT due to the wording in the will?
    Re "who inherits the properties in the will", There is no other mention of the properties in his will other than wife having the option to purchase etc as detailed previously so I guess it would otherwise simply become part of his estate. Will states Trustees shall not sell his share or said properties unless and until wife has refused in writing such right of pre-emption.

Solicitor not in til 1pm so I'll call him then
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder if the Will leaves the residue of his estate to his two daughters: your wife and sister in law? If so it might be worth looking into your wife not taking up the option to buy the 80% share in the property.

Instead the executors could satisfy the entitlements under the Will by appropriations of assets. If the values work out that could be by appropriating the 80% share in the property to your wife and stocks and shares to the same value to her sister.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks 00ec25
    Thats exactly the situation.
    I think SIL's husband is more savvy and has mentioned CGT.
    I am about to call the solicitors but in answering getmore..'s message I wonder if having been given the 'option to purchase' is the bit that renders it liable for SDLT. It will be a bit unfair if it is as it was presumably written like that so if when the time came it was not an option then an alternative existed but the FIL clear and stated intention was for wife to get the properties and SIL to take the cash equivalent.
    His will also stated that it was his wish but not binding that SIL sells her interest in properties to wife.
    Ill see how the Solicitor explains it, he cannot blame the way it was written as he did it!
    Thanks again
    FIL owned 80% of a property
    FIL is dead and the property is part of his estate
    what does the will say about how his estate is to be shared out.

As SDLT geek says, it might make better context if the estate is to be valued as an entirety and then wife and SIL "fight" over the difference between what 80% of the property is worth in comparison to 50% of the estate. If the property is worth more than 50% then obviously wife needs to pay SIL something to redress the shortfall on SIL's slice of the action.

if that is the case I can see the benefit of the "option" wording as that then gives wife the first refusal at her having the property but ensures SIL gets money as recompense for not getting the property.

I'll leave SDLT geek to advise if SDLT would be due in such circumstance where a beneficiary buys out an asset of the estate in lieu of being given money from the liquidation of the estate's assets.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    I'll leave SDLT geek to advise if SDLT would be due in such circumstance where a beneficiary buys out an asset of the estate in lieu of being given money from the liquidation of the estate's assets.
    If a beneficiary puts in their own money from resources outside of the inheritance to obtain a property interest then that outside money is chargeable consideration on which SDLT is due.

But there is no chargeable consideration if the assets in the estate are sufficient for the value of one sister's entitlement to be met by land and the other sister's by other assets of the estate.
  • Popell
    Popell Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    OK, so I've spent an age talking to the solicitor and it is indeed the wording giving the option to purchase that appears to render it subject to SDLT
    Solicitor has mentioned the apportioning bit and perhaps offering some of the saving in SDLT as an incentive to SIL to agree.
    Had a brief chat with the BIL and his position is that they would be very unhappy if the 80% of full market value is discounted due to tenants in common situation.
    Looks like someone is going to end up unhappy regardless of which way it goes.
    SDLT Geek;, if we can get a discounted valuation due to tenants in common then there should be just about enough cash to balance it. If not then I'll be putting cash in so your comments are noted, thank you. That cash may come from a small legacy to which I am beneficiary and the split proceed of an insurance policy to which my wife is beneficiary - if that is the case does this fall within the 'resources outside of the inheritance'?

Thanks again for the continued help chaps
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If they are in agreement with each other about how to split the inheritace, in a way different to the will they could always get a deed of variation drawn up. It sounds like he wanted an even split, but did not think through the problems doing it this way could cause.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    The standard discounting of valuations is for IHT.

The reality in a buyout situation where the alternative is to sell then the full market value should be used as the starting point.
    then the discussion centres around the adjustment related to non incurred costs.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    I appreciate this is only a snippet - I can't type well enough to get the entire contents in!!
    I'm not sure if you are saying, do you think she will be liable for SDLT due to the wording in the will?
    Re "who inherits the properties in the will", There is no other mention of the properties in his will other than wife having the option to purchase etc as detailed previously so I guess it would otherwise simply become part of his estate. Will states Trustees shall not sell his share or said properties unless and until wife has refused in writing such right of pre-emption.

Solicitor not in til 1pm so I'll call him then

if the property is not mentioned anywhere else then it will fall in to the general distribution clause or the residual estate clause.

What do they say.

what are the assets totals here(that fall within the estate) we have 80% of the market value of the property and ??????.

What are the distributions
  • Popell
    Options
    Thanks for continuing support, just written long reply then hit refresh by accident and lost the lot!
    I'll try again:-
    Keep pedalling....:yes his intention was to have an even split of value between his two daughters with the properties going to wife to give some pension provision in later life. He had previously wanted to favour wife/me over (significantly better off) SIL/BIL but wife persuaded him to even things out for fairness. It is my belief that he knew his 80% share would be discounted by the way his instructions are worded. If an agreed value cannot be negotiated then there is recourse to having RICS appointed valuation. I have found out that this will cost minimum of a grand but also that it could come back with a figure that may be discounted by possibly 10-15%. This would make the BIL even less happy. Should we go this route then it would be understood that we both sign up to accepting the RICS valuation, this route also immediately means that wife has exercised the option to take the properties with the SDLT implications and that if we go this route then there can be no apportioning can be done.

getmore4.....Discounting in this instance is due to tenants in common with any share being worth less than actual %age on the open market.
    The will indicates that the market value should not take into account that parts are owned by the daughters. BIL has interpretted this as simply taking 80% of om value. Solicitor states that the meaning is to ignore WHO owns the shares but still value as a share of a tenants in common property.

Probably missed some of the points I had covered in my first draft!

Thanks again guys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport