What's the formula to work out minimum repayment

Options
I have an amount of credit card debt I wish to transfer to a 0% card (approx. £10k).

Can anyone please help with a formula to work out the minimum payment per month

I am assuming the following detail would be needed

• Loan amount (balance to be transferred)
  • Length of 0% term (may not be required)
  • Interest rate following the end of the 0% term (is this the APR ??)
  • do any other parameters need to be considered

I need a formula to work how much I would save every month and therefore to determine the extra I can pay off, versus the amount I could free up per month

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The minimum payment will be detailed on the terms of the card in question.

A standard min payment is 1% of balance plus fees and interest, but some are more.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    yes, some are 2% which makes a big difference to your calculations - I remember the Post Office was 2% and maybe the AA.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    yes, some are 2% which makes a big difference to your calculations - I remember the Post Office was 2% and maybe the AA.
    2.5% these days on those two BOI products. Certainly makes a dent in the stood pot!
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think what the OP is asking is for a formula giving the payment he would need to make each month to clear the debt by the end of the 0% period?

eg. With a 10 months 0% BT card and a 10K debt. he would need to repay £1,000 a month to clear the debt in 10 months.

To pay off the total debt during the 0% promotional period, just divide the debt by the number of months at 0% to get the monthly payment you need to make.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That was what I thought as well. The actual figure will be ever so slightly lower due to interest earned over the period, but the basic approach is straightforward and I'm no doubt overthinking it ;)
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2017 at 1:11PM
    Options
    The formula I use in excel is below, to work out the minimum monthly payment:

This is for 1% or £25, which ever is largest, and generally assumes no further spend, i.e. the balance just runs down at each min monthly payment.

=if(rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2)<25,25,rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2))

Where 'C4' is the previous months balance, '*1' is the % min payment and '25' is the smallest min payment.

Breakdown:

if
    (rounddown(( [rounded down value, some companies may have this differently, but it will make pennies of a difference regardless]
    (c4/100)*1) [works out 1% of the balance]
    ,2) [gives the 1% value in 2 decimal places]
    <25 [checks if this value less than 25]

,25, [if less than 25, then 25 is the true value, and is the minimum payment]
    rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2)) [if more than 25, then this is the false value, and displays this value]

Hopefully this is not too confusing, and useful if you use excel.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...and remember you have to throw a six to start and the youngest player goes first...
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    logie48 wrote: »
    The formula I use in excel is below, to work out the minimum monthly payment:

This is for 1% or £25, which ever is largest, and generally assumes no further spend, i.e. the balance just runs down at each min monthly payment.

=if(rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2)<25,25,rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2))

Where 'C4' is the previous months balance, '*1' is the % min payment and '25' is the smallest min payment.

Breakdown:

if
    (rounddown(( [rounded down value, some companies may have this differently, but it will make pennies of a difference regardless]
    (c4/100)*1) [works out 1% of the balance]
    ,2) [gives the 1% value in 2 decimal places]
    <25 [checks if this value less than 25]

,25, [if less than 25, then 25 is the true value, and is the minimum payment]
    rounddown(((c4/100)*1),2)) [if more than 25, then this is the false value, and displays this value]

Hopefully this is not too confusing, and useful if you use excel.

Wow !
    I just use MAX(25,C4*0.01) :rotfl:
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have used FV and worked backwards (allows for you to show the effect of minimal interest reducing the amount needed).
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    Wow !
    I just use MAX(25,C4*0.01) :rotfl:

That just highlights my limited knowledge of excel !! :o:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories