Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?

Options

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 6:33PM
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over, however it is also your responsibility not to run people over so... yes, if they are not moving, you must stop. Highway code explicitly states that if pedestrians are in the road you must slow down and stop before you hit them!

I am a keen photographer, and in early March I was shooting around Buachaille Etive Mor around the main A82. I did what I could to keep off the road as much as I could as I was walking from my car to location and vice versa and thanked drivers that gave me space when I wasn't able to use the verge.

There are many reasons why a pedestrian may use the road rather than a verge. In my case, the verge was very uneven, and walking along it might have caused me to lose balance and fall into the road. There's no guarantee that the drivers would see that. As a driver you don't have the best view of the verge, so how can you judge with certainty whether the pedestrians should be on the verge or the road, facing oncoming traffic?

As a motorist, you have, I believe a moral obligation to look out for and avoid physical contact with weaker road users than yourself - and yes, that includes cyclists. Whether they are in the wrong isn't really the point, you should still look out for them and avoid contact.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What on Earth are pedestrians doing walking facing the traffic? :eek:
    They should be ambling along in the road facing away from the traffic, wearing dark clothes, with their hoods pulled up over their headphones.

They should, if at all possible, make sure that it is raining and dark too. ;)

However, the Police seem to take a dim view of simply driving over them, shouting "Natural selection" :(
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Do you really need to ask?

Sadly, yes - because an increasingly frequent driver response (despite a very clear Highway Code rule) is to shout, swear and gesticulate at any pedestrians who don't get off the road - despite the fact that to do so would be difficult and probably involve getting covered in mud.

Highway Code Rule 206

Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over
    You are joking, aren't you?
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Sadly, yes - because an increasingly frequent driver response (despite a very clear Highway Code rule) is to shout, swear and gesticulate at any pedestrians who don't get off the road - despite the fact that to do so would be difficult and probably involve getting covered in mud.

Highway Code Rule 206

Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.
    Unfortunately some ignorant drivers believe they have the right of way however if they have poor ride quality due to over inflated tyres and an "extremely fragile" computer in the boot they will be driving at 20mph giving you ample opportunity to shout and gesticulate back.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pedestrians are 'road users', along with cyclists, horse riders, motorcyclists, car drivers, White Van Man, lorries, ambulances, bin lorries, tractors and the like. All have an equal right to use the road as long as they obey the law.

We just need to be tolerant and patient, and find a way of sharing the roads amicably.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Outside towns and cities, but often just outside quite well populated villages, there are roads with no footpaths, just not particularly easily accessible verges.

It's a sunny day on a quiet road, with not much traffic. You're driving a car - you spot a couple of pedestrians out for a walk and coming towards you. There are two of them, side by side, on your side of the road, but having seen you they move into single file.

It's a narrow road, just about wide enough for two vehicles, there's another car coming towards you, and you expect the pedestrians to get off the road, onto the verge, to allow you to continue your journey without having to stop. But they don't - they just carry on walking single file.

What do you do?

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Real life situation - I see it every day. What's the correct answer?
    Out of those three options you really need to ask, unbelievable!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

As both a driver and a pedestrian (and a cyclist too), I know the answer full well.

What's unbelievable is the number of drivers who obviously don't!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

As I understand it the OP would be the pedestrian in the scenario presented.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Problem is everyone knows what the correct answer should be so you are never going to get anyone on a public forum to admit otherwise.

However having experience of walking down the roads you describe I know what you are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure