Need Specific Help

Options
Hi folks - I work in an FE college and this last week it has been mooted about to start some sort of 'drop in' centre for people who have been made redundant and want some help in maximising their chances of employment.

Ideas have been to offer help with CV writing, cover letter writing etc. Also to offer the chance to either acquire level 2 literacy and numeracy or to update their qualifications. Basic IT skills for them that don't have them. Perhaps some confidence training:confused: Computer facilities for job search/uploading CVs.

Now I know this might sound somewhat patronising but that is just the thing we want to avoid. We want to offer somewhere that will be of use to people that are in the redundancy mill. Somewhere they can come and feel comfortable talking about their needs.

We need to know what is needed so we can offer a comprehensive, individual learning plan.

So we can get it right I have come to you guys for your help. What would you find most useful? What would you feel would be appropriate to offer?

I appreciate that most of you wont need any of the help but there are some out there that do.

What are your ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any ideas you have.
Mags - who loves shopping

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Could you explain why you think that this is the sort of thing you want to avoid; it sounds very useful to me.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    does sound like a good starting point. yes, some people will want something else, but having a basic core range of products as a starter is a plan. people often don't know what they need until its offered.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Jupiler
    Jupiler Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speaking as someone who is about to be made redundant after 29 years continuous employment from leaving school, the type of 'drop in' centre I would personally find most useful is somewhere I could talk to people about what help there is (or isn't) in terms of more substantial training / re-training courses, and equally important to learn about JSA/benefits and how I can avoid losing my house until I can find other work.

Having said that, everyone's needs are going to be very different. Whilst I personally feel no need for help with what to me are basics (CV, letter-writing, literacy, numeracy, basic IT skills, internet access) there will doubtless be many people who would benefit greatly from this.

At the moment, the thing that scares me most (and thus the thing I need to learn about most) is the risk of losing my home if I can't find work, although I'm fortunate that I haven't overstretched myself with debt in the first place and will have a bit of a buffer zone thanks to a redundancy payoff.

Good idea posting a message here though Magnolia, and I hope you find the inspiration you are looking for as other posters add their comments.
    Good luck :beer:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Magnolia wrote: »

Ideas have been to offer help with CV writing, cover letter writing etc. Also to offer the chance to either acquire level 2 literacy and numeracy or to update their qualifications. Basic IT skills for them that don't have them. Perhaps some confidence training:confused: Computer facilities for job search/uploading CVs.

Now I know this might sound somewhat patronising but that is just the thing we want to avoid. We want to offer somewhere that will be of use to people that are in the redundancy mill. Somewhere they can come and feel comfortable talking about their needs.

We need to know what is needed so we can offer a comprehensive, individual learning plan.

Having read your post more carefully, I get the feeling that your college is more interested in recruitment to its courses, rather than necessarily the needs of the clients. I say this as a retired FE lecturer who understands the way that colleges work!

I've also worked in the field of adult IAG and I wonder who you would be using to do this aspect of the work? Do you have college staff with a guidance qualification or are you planning to use an external service like Nextstep? If you haven't thought of inviting in a provider like this (whose services would be free) it might be worthwhile to think of it, leaving the college staff to deal with the actual tutoring of courses.
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ONW - what we want to avoid is coming across as patronising with the type of help and information offered.

We are not trying to recruit to our courses. The type of help with IT for instance wouldn't be a certificated course - just basic help with inputting and layout - that is why I have come here to people who would be able to tell me what they need so I can feed it back to the people that will be planning and preparing for this 'drop in' (for want of a better word)

The people who will be giving the IAG (Information, Advice and Guidance) are all level 4 or level 5 qualified. We already are Next Step providers.

Maybe we need to be thinking along the lines of a multi agency cohort - Job Centre (already on board) CAB for debt problems (good idea Jupiler - they have more expertise in that field than we do) Maybe we can recruit a mortgage advisor who could have the expertise in that field. Careers Advisers from Sphere or Connexions (they do have adult advisers)

I am getting quite excited about this project already - if we could offer a complete package in one place for people who need the help then it could be a good facility. I knew I was right to come to you guys :happyhear

Thanks for your replies folks - keep 'em coming :D

Any ideas on a name would be great as well.

Oh I also should add that this idea isn't from the money orientated management - its from the IAG advisers who want to do something for our community which is dying on its 'arris!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Magnolia wrote: »
    ONW - what we want to avoid is coming across as patronising with the type of help and information offered.

We are not trying to recruit to our courses. The type of help with IT for instance wouldn't be a certificated course - just basic help with inputting and layout - that is why I have come here to people who would be able to tell me what they need so I can feed it back to the people that will be planning and preparing for this 'drop in' (for want of a better word)

The people who will be giving the IAG (Information, Advice and Guidance) are all level 4 or level 5 qualified. We already are Next Step providers.

Maybe we need to be thinking along the lines of a multi agency cohort - Job Centre (already on board) CAB for debt problems (good idea Jupiler - they have more expertise in that field than we do) Maybe we can recruit a mortgage advisor who could have the expertise in that field. Careers Advisers from Sphere or Connexions (they do have adult advisers)

I am getting quite excited about this project already - if we could offer a complete package in one place for people who need the help then it could be a good facility. I knew I was right to come to you guys :happyhear

Thanks for your replies folks - keep 'em coming :D

Any ideas on a name would be great as well.

Oh I also should add that this idea isn't from the money orientated management - its from the IAG advisers who want to do something for our community which is dying on its 'arris!

It all sounds really good and I'm sure that a multi agency approach is the way to go.

You need to check with Connexions about Careers Advisers for adults; I was working in this area recently (qualified CA) and where I lived, Connexions didn't employ adult workers. I worked for NextStep as did all the qualified Careers Advisers I know, so if you have them on board, you may well have all the expertise you need for IAG, as well as your own staff.

What about including someone from your local credit union as well as the people you've already suggested?

Good luck with your plans.
  • Magnolia
    Options
    Connexions didn't employ adult workers.

Our local connexions does have an adult adviser.
    What about including someone from your local credit union as well as the people you've already suggested?

Good idea on the credit union as well - I will add it to the list - thanks for the suggestion.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given the horror of unemployment and unexpected redundancy, something to meet the emotional needs of people would be useful. Possibly a handout with contact details for all the local and national organisations like MIND, Relate, and all the local counselling services, womens sevices etc.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Magnolia
    Options
    Errata - great idea - we already have a counseller employed in the college - great idea on the booklet as well. Thanks

*adds to list*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family