PayPal currency conversion - no choice

Options
2»

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you still want to complain, see https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/paypal-complaints
  • eshroom
    eshroom Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Will try once more through resolver.
  • eshroom
    Options
    Spoke to Financial Ombudsman who have now taken this on as Paypal appear to contradict their own terms.

@theonlywayisup - You seem very sure in what you are saying relating to s.75 and eBay purchases for non-Paypal account holders. I still don't know why you think your use of Paypal as a payment processor is different to eBay's use of Paypal as a payments processor (for non-Paypal account holders). You speak of the chain being broken, but if you don't possess an account, the chain is not broken, payment goes directly from your card to the seller.

The terms you sign up to even indicated that you may have more rights from your card issuer if you checkout without using a paypal account. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacywax-full
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2018 at 7:09PM
    Options
    eshroom wrote: »
    Spoke to Financial Ombudsman who have now taken this on as Paypal appear to contradict their own terms.

@theonlywayisup - You seem very sure in what you are saying relating to s.75 and eBay purchases for non-Paypal account holders. I still don't know why you think your use of Paypal as a payment processor is different to eBay's use of Paypal as a payments processor (for non-Paypal account holders). You speak of the chain being broken, but if you don't possess an account, the chain is not broken, payment goes directly from your card to the seller.

The terms you sign up to even indicated that you may have more rights from your card issuer if you checkout without using a paypal account. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacywax-full

I still don't think you understand the merchant and user side of Paypal. A user can have an account or be a guest. A merchant is the person collecting the funds. You were never a merchant. You never used the service via a merchant. You were always letting Paypal take funds from your card for them to process. Perhaps if you were both merchant and user you might understand?

You can take a horse to water and all that....

Good luck with the claim, as I said, some users have managed to convince card companies to act. But re reading, your case with the Ombudsman appears to be in relation to the charges rather than a chargeback/S75 claim though.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    If when you make a credit card payment and the payment screen says 'you do not need a Paypal account' to use, but Paypal processes the payment, the s.75 link is not broken. This is no different to how other payment processor work.

If you pay with a credit card via a Paypal account, then the s.75 link is broken.
  • eshroom
    edited 16 January 2018 at 2:39PM
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    If when you make a credit card payment and the payment screen says 'you do not need a Paypal account' to use, but Paypal processes the payment, the s.75 link is not broken. This is no different to how other payment processor work.

If you pay with a credit card via a Paypal account, then the s.75 link is broken.

Thank you for confirming, this is what I thought.

I'll continue to make eBay purchases and checkout directly on eBay via credit card (and not using my PayPal account) so I can benefit from s.75 protection (I understand card issuers may still try to fight it regardless).

Hopefully will never need the protection anyway.
  • stbutler
    stbutler Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I used to pay by logging in to Paypal and choosing to pay by card using the foreign currency, but then that option was removed.

So I started paying as a guest, like the original poster, but today I found that the money grabbing ********s at PayPal had removed the option to pay with the foreign currency that way too.

Searching the web again I found something on another forum with a link to allow you to set your default conversion options in paypal for cards
    https :// community.monzo.com/t/ebay-paypal-avoiding-dcc-on-forex-payments/29272

Now, I know that this won't satisfy the original poster's wish to keep s75 rights, but it might be useful to others that just want to use their card's conversion rate instead of paypal's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure