New mortgage needed before default drops off credit file- aargh!

Options
Afternoon all,

I have a default that is due to drop off my credit file in mid-April (so would assume all agencies would be up to date by mid-May?)

We want to use HTB and put our house on the market last weekend in anticipation that it would probably take a while to sell. However, it sold (in principle!) yesterday to first time buyers, so we now need to get our skates on!

Are we still likely to be looking at a 'sub-prime' lender at this point? If anyone has any advice on how we can avoid shooting ourselves in the foot without losing our buyer or losing the new build plot we've set our hearts on, I'd be very grateful! Aargh!

SB

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I would be very surprised if you can not get a lender to do this for you at normal rates. Your options are potentially limited depending on the size of the default, what it is for and when it was satisfied but I think if you get a good experienced broker on it, you should be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • starrybear
    starrybear Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh thank you! Do you really think we could get an un-ridiculous rate?! The default is the last of 6 to drop off, and was for about £1k on a credit card. I had 5 other defaults totalling c£18k but they're all off as of end of Feb.

6 months ago we were accepted by Aldermore at a rate of 4.39% so it'd be amazing to secure something not quite as scary!
  • ACG
    Options
    When you say HTB are you talking about a 95% mortgage or the equity loan scheme for new builds?

As far as I am aware Aldermore do not do the equity loan mortgages.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    As far as I am aware Aldermore do not do the equity loan mortgages.
    They do.

So do Precise for non-vanilla cases.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What has your broker said about timing?

You didn't get a DIP with Aldermore direct, surely?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ACG
    Options
    I knew Precise did, I feel like I am sat in their marketing office with the amount of emails/social media updates I get from them.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • starrybear
    Options
    Aldermore gave us a DIP based on a 5% HTB deposit, if I remember correctly, although we did state that we can go higher on the deposit. Does that not sound right? We're not working with the same broker now, as something didn't feel quite right...
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    starrybear wrote: »
    Oh thank you! Do you really think we could get an un-ridiculous rate?! The default is the last of 6 to drop off, and was for about £1k on a credit card. I had 5 other defaults totalling c£18k but they're all off as of end of Feb.

6 months ago we were accepted by Aldermore at a rate of 4.39% so it'd be amazing to secure something not quite as scary!

Its a bit of a worry if you find 4.39% scary!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • starrybear
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    Its a bit of a worry if you find 4.39% scary!

Our current standard variable mortgage rate is a hell of a lot lower than 4.39%!

There are some good mortgage deals to be had at present - I'm just hoping that our circumstances will qualify us for one of them...
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can go with a high street, have you tried? just run a soft search with halifax, if you get something through them, you know you'll get something with elsewhere.
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family