Options
124»

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    ecthalion wrote: »
    Good afternoon. I'm hoping you can help me with my situation. I am due to apply for my DRO on 14th of November. I am behind with my council tax and by the 14th the full amount for the rest of the year will be due. Now I understand that this can be included in the DRO but as I wouldn't be paying council tax for the rest of the year this would free up £ 107 a month, would this mean my DRO would fail because I have more than £ 50 per month spare? I've put alot of time in this DRO and it was not an easy decision to make, I'm really worried that it will be refused on these grounds or that it will fail. I hope somebody can clear this up for me. Many thanks . S.

Your DRO will run till November next year

From April you will pay council tax at the normal rate

Personally I'd put council tax in your expenditure at the normal rate - ask your intermediary how they want to play it.
  • ecthalion
    Options
    Would it be advisable/possible to start making payments towards next year's council tax? Thanks for your reply. It's driving me bonkers.
  • ecthalion
    Options
    Or maybe try to get up to date with my instalments if I can?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Would it be advisable/possible to start making payments towards next year's council tax? Thanks for your reply. It's driving me bonkers.
    Or maybe try to get up to date with my instalments if I can?

Don't let it drive you bonkers - talk to your intermediary.

You won't be able to make any payments to the 18/19 council tax till March next year - the rates will not have been set yet.

I don't see the point of trying to get up to date with council tax for 17/18 if it's a debt you need relief from
  • ecthalion
    Options
    Thanks mate. Your always there when people need you. It's much appreciated.
  • ecthalion
    Options
    Thanks for your help. DRO was granted yesterday,I feel so relieved, this is a new chapter in my life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure