School appeals - help offered

Options

Comments

• emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    But then he wouldn't be in the feeder school for the secondary school they want him to go to.

Exactly thank you.
  • emerald21
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    It's a good job you asked others to help. Hayley, after offering her help, disappeared after a few weeks and hasn't posted on the board for over ten years.

lol I realised that after when I saw the thread begin in 2007. I was told about this thread by someone :)
  • emerald21
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    But that's not going to be sufficient grounds for a successful appeal.

emerald, is there anything this school can offer to support his anxiety that no other school can? Excepting an administrative error, that's the only grounds for appeal I can see.

They'll let you appeal when the class is full because it is your statutory right. They cannot say no without giving you the opportunity to present your case.

(Also worth checking if being in a feeder school gives you priority for secondary. It's not a common criteria any longer.)

Hi. I don't know what any schools can offer for the anxiety. The main reason is because it's the local village school and as they live in the village it would be nice if he could start there in September for his last year in the junior school along with his sister.

I believe my daughter in law was told she could appeal.

There was never any of this mither years ago when my 3 were children :o

You just went to the local school and that was that.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    But then he wouldn't be in the feeder school for the secondary school they want him to go to.
    And? Wouldn't he be in catchment instead? What is the criteria for admittance from this school?

My daughter's Secondary school admission criteria is (after looked after children)
    catchment
    feeder school
    siblings

So someone moving into the catchment area during yr 5 but unable to get a place at the feeder primary would still be in a higher category when making an application for a yr7 place than someone at a feeder Primary but out of catchment.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    And? Wouldn't he be in catchment instead? What is the criteria for admittance from this school?

My daughter's Secondary school admission criteria is (after looked after children)
    catchment
    feeder school
    siblings

So someone moving into the catchment area during yr 5 but unable to get a place at the feeder primary would still be in a higher category when making an application for a yr7 place than someone at a feeder Primary but out of catchment.

This can change year by year and area by area. My area has no such thing as catchment, but recently moved from feeder schools being priority to distance from school.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What I can't understand is how can they appeal if apparently there are no places left for him. The schools are practically across the road.

Class size restrictions are only for the first few years where 30 is the maximum class size. After that there is a desired admission number, but it isn't an absolute rule.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Options
    emerald21 wrote: »
    What I can't understand is how can they appeal if apparently there are no places left for him.
    IAmWales wrote: »
    They'll let you appeal when the class is full because it is your statutory right. They cannot say no without giving you the opportunity to present your case.
    And they let you appeal because sometimes they make mistakes. For example, I know one poster here found that some children had been offered places at a particular school when they were a lower priority than others who had NOT been offered places at that school. I cannot remember how the mixup occurred, or what was involved, but it had to be put right.

It is worth getting as much information as you can about where on the waiting list you are, and what the current numbers are, and what their expectations are in relation to next year. When we appealed (many years ago) for a year 8 place, there were two of us in that situation. The school had admitted two more than their PAN (Planned Admission Number) in year 7 the year before, but let slip that two children were leaving at the end of year 7. The school were talking about stretched resources etc, but I said that if they'd managed the previous year, why not next? I have no idea if it helped, but we both got our places.

Also I don't know if this will encourage you, but we moved over the summer holidays. I had told their schools that we were moving: perhaps I should have done something more formal, but DS1's secondary school did not seem to know that we had moved! Some of his teachers asked his friends where he was ... Obviously that freed up a space at that school!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed, but then it's not about the anxiety, it's about getting into the secondary school, which I don't expect would be a valid reason to win the appeal.

Also, if they've moved into the catchment area, wouldn't they get in anyway, even if not in the feeder school?
  • Spendless
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    And they let you appeal because sometimes they make mistakes. For example, I know one poster here found that some children had been offered places at a particular school when they were a lower priority than others who had NOT been offered places at that school. I cannot remember how the mixup occurred, or what was involved, but it had to be put right.
    Quite possibly me and it was to do with Reception places at a nearby faith school. Their criteria was siblings, worshipping at the connected church with a letter of support from the vicar, the 2 nearest villages where the school/church were, then distance.

It was a year with a high number of kids having siblings already there, which reduced the numbers of available places to others. A lot got in on saying 'I worship at this church, I am religious etc'. When around 5 parents took it to appeal, the school admitted that those admitted under the attending church category hadn't also had a letter supporting this from the vicar, the appeal panel asked them if they hadn't done this would the children who hadn't got places been offered them, school said yes and school was told it had to accept them and make provision for a 2nd teacher for them.
  • Spendless
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    This can change year by year and area by area. My area has no such thing as catchment, but recently moved from feeder schools being priority to distance from school.
    I am aware different areas/schools can be different. My daughter's school switched feeder school to above siblings a few years ago. but this is why I asked this.
    Spendless wrote: »

catchment
    feeder school
    siblings

That's the question that needs asking. What's the criteria and how close to the top is it. If it is catchment or distance that's at the top from what the poster describes it's possibly not going to make a difference whether they get a nearby yr6 place or not. If it's siblings as the top criteria, then it may depend on whether 13yo sibling gets a place, if she does and it is, again where you go in yr6 won't have an impact.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback