Can I claim the admin fees I paid an estate agents back?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ricardo1980
    Options
    shibiddy wrote: »
    I do have the call saved in my voicemail of the agent stating he will not be continuing my tenancy contract due to me being pregnant

with regards to my partner he was coming after work and leaving early in the morning most days. he wasnt staying throughout the day just sleeping overnight

Be careful. Create a backup as soon as possible.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do have the call saved in my voicemail of the agent stating he will not be continuing my tenancy contract due to me being pregnant

with regards to my partner he was coming after work and leaving early in the morning most days. he wasnt staying throughout the day just sleeping overnight
    Most working people do that, are you suggesting they don't live at the houses they sleep in?

The fact is you knowingly rented a single occupancy, studio flat, advertised for single, professional people and you almost immediately moved your boyfriend in. I don't think you have any argument with the agents. And as far as not extending your tenancy beyond the minimum term because you're pregnant is entirely reasonable and imho not discriminatory given the nature of the accommodation in question.
  • shibiddy
    Options
    I said most days not everyday and some days i was not even at my flat he would stay there alone and i would stay at my relatives
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I said most days not everyday and some days i was not even at my flat he would stay there alone and i would stay at my relatives
    I'd give up the digging, you know as well as anyone else he was living there.
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    What did he do at weekends?
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where did he keep his clothes, his toothbrush etc etc? Where did he have his mail delivered?

I think you have been extremely fortunate to be able to escape without penalty (other than £50) after just one month of a 6 month tenancy.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2016 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    Why? The OP says the rental was for "single professional people". Having your boyfriend move in and then having a baby means you are not single.

It is an inferred term of the contract.

Can men get pregnant then?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/discrimination-in-housing/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination-in-housing/pregnancy-and-maternity-discrimination-in-housing/
    t’s unlawful discrimination if someone like a landlord or estate agent treats you unfairly because you’re pregnant or you have been pregnant, when you're renting ot buying a property.

Example

Your landlord gives you notice to leave your flat when you tell him you’re pregnant. You’ve not done anything wrong under your tenancy agreement and you’ve always paid your rent on time. In fact, he just told you a few days ago that if all tenants were as good as you he would be a happy landlord.

If the reason he’s given you notice is because you’re pregnant, it’s unlawful discrimination because of your pregnancy. You’ve suffered a disadvantage because you’re being forced to leave your flat. You can take action under the Equality Act.

ETA: I'd also point out having children doesn't affect your relationship status (although tenancy agreements couldnt stop you being in a relationship anyway) and nor does it stop you from being a professional.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can men get pregnant then?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/discrimination-in-housing/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination-in-housing/pregnancy-and-maternity-discrimination-in-housing/

ETA: I'd also point out having children doesn't affect your relationship status (although tenancy agreements couldnt stop you being in a relationship anyway) and nor does it stop you from being a professional.

That seems to be a very unfair use of the equality act. According to that a landlord would have to accept children in a house they thought it was unsuitable for because they are not allowed to give notice to a woman who is pregnant.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    According to that a landlord would have to accept children in a house they thought it was unsuitable for...

Yes, that's right.

It really doesn't matter that the landlord thinks it's unsuitable for children. That decision is for the tenant.
  • shibiddy
    Options
    I have been told by the agency they will refund admin fee due to the circumstances
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure