Quitting self-employed Deliveroo - can I claim JSA?

Options
Hello, I work as a self-employed cyclist for Deliveroo. If I quit voluntarily can I claim JSA? Thanks

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do you want to leave?
  • Max4848
    Max4848 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Why do you want to leave?

Can't get consistent full-time hours, and even if I could it's too physically demanding to keep it up. 40 hours is about 250 miles of cycling on average with my commute. My back is in agony and I spend all my free time in bed recovering from exhaustion!

But do I need a reason if I'm self-employed? Or do the same rules apply as voluntarily leaving employment?
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Do you have a contract of service?

Will need to look tomorrow for some more information but you might be on dodgy ground if you are not genuinely self employed. Unfortunately some places say you are self employed when, in fact, you are actually an employee. Just a way of not paying your NI contributions!

Any chance of finding another job?

If you are single then you will be applying for Universal Credit, not JSA.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Have found the advice for Universal Credit:

Leaving paid work or losing pay voluntarily
    Introduction
    K3201 Legislation provides that a failure is a sanctionable failure where a claimant
    voluntarily and without good reason
    1. ceases paid work or
    2. loses pay1
    Note: For guidance on paid work see ADM Chapter J3 (Work -related requirements)
    and for detailed guidance on good reason see ADM Chapter K2 (Good reason).
    1 WR Act 12, s 26(2)(d)

and if you look at paid work in ADM Chapter K2 then this includes self employment.

You would have to show good reason for leaving voluntarily.

Good reason covers many things but ultimately it would be up to a decision maker to decide whether you had good reason.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Max4848 wrote: »
    Can't get consistent full-time hours, and even if I could it's too physically demanding to keep it up. 40 hours is about 250 miles of cycling on average with my commute. My back is in agony and I spend all my free time in bed recovering from exhaustion!

But do I need a reason if I'm self-employed? Or do the same rules apply as voluntarily leaving employment?

Perhaps the best thing to do would be look for another position before giving up your job. However you have my full sympathy and I can imagine its very hard craft cycling up and down hills for a living.

I am a keen cyclist but no more than about 2 hours a day and thats enough for me.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 4:26PM
    Options
    'Good reason' includes failure to pay the NMW (but n/a as s-e).

But as you were not employed and don't need to submit a p45 to a JCP, I wouldn't have thought ending self-employment would result in a sanction being applied.

Practically, it'd usually just mean that you weren't entitled to contributions-based JSA, but have to apply for a means-tested benefit.

It'll probably be Universal Credit as others have said. [The reason I say only probably, is because there are gateway conditions and exceptions eg if you are still self-employed when you apply, you are not eligible to claim UC. A person needs to be unemployed (or become within 7 days) to claim UC or income-based/'new style' JSA online]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure