Remarking GCSEs

Options
Sorry, not sure where to ask this but has anyone been contacted by school about remarking their child's GCSEs? It seems a bit late now but they've asked for the child to go in and sign that he agrees to one subject being remarked as school seems to think there's an 'anomaly' with it. Does he have to do this? He's no longer at school of course and happily settled into college. He's concerned that he could be marked down which would mess up his current course.

Thanks.

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can he sign to the effect that he's only prepared to be re-marked up, but not down? !
  • AElene
    AElene Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    If he's left school now, I don't think they can make him sign or have his papers re-marked. I think I'd be tempted to just ignore it.
  • If it's a remark it's probably borderline to the next grade up. It could be marked down but unlikely to make a difference to the grade. On the other hand it could mean that he goes up a grade!
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will probably just ignore in that case and hope they can't insist. If the grade goes down he will have to come off his course, or resit. If it goes up it won't make a lot of difference to that though it could long term I suppose. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this situation.

Thanks
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My GCSE English Language was remarked, as was 70% of my year group as we had been given Ds, they were remarked to a C. I wasn't asked to sign anything, in fact I knew nothing about it until after the event.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask the school what they think the anomaly is? I think it's very unlikely they'd ask for a remark if they thought it'd go down a grade.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    They have done this with my daughter - basically 4/5ths of the year did badly in one particular subject - so the school have paid for one at each grade to be remarked to see if the school was teaching it wrongly or if there was an issue with the marking.

My daughter's was one of the ones selected (I know she was 2 marks off the cut off) - she was asked to sign to agree to it being remarked earlier this week
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Find out the grade boundaries and how his mark sat between the two grades, before you agree to it.

For example, say he got a B, his mark was 79% and you need 70% for a B and 80% for an A, then it might be worth remarking if the school think it's a good idea, because his grade is more likely to go up rather than down.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As a teacher, we only bother paying for a remark of a paper where a child should have done better, and their grade was very close to the boundary.

If the school are requesting this, then they clearly feel your son stands a good chance of going up a grade.

It is highly unlikely that they would mark him down a grade, as this would mean a ridiculous amount of marks deducted.

Personally I would get him to sign and go for it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I work at DDs' school. Head of English asked if DD1 could contact her about her A level grade. She wanted DD's permission to get a remark in one paper as she felt DD and the rest of the cohort had been unfairly treated. We talked it over at home. Luckily DD did not need this result for her university place, so she decided that a remark would not affect her detrimentally and might help someone else, so agreed to it.

Mark's came back this week. The paper in question has been remarked and DD has now gained an extra 13 marks. It has not affected her overall grade as she had done amazingly well in the other 2 papers, but I have no doubt that if others in the group have been similarly affected, grades could go up. I will ask the teacher when I see her next week. The reason given for the increase in the mark was "an unreasonable exercise of academic judgement". Make of this what you will!

If it may help someone, especially as English was one of the new exams this year for both GCSE and A level, it may be worthwhile. I know that marking has been inconsistent across the boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure