We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bah. Greenfly.

Options
keith969
keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
First Anniversary
So greenfly seem to have a particular liking for the chilli plants I grow in the greenhouse. And even amongst varieties they are choosy, seems they prefer the hot ones for some reason, especially the Fatali. But anyhow, I am having a real problem with them and wonder if good folks here have some ideas.

Spraying with Bayer greenfly killer doesn't seem to bother them. Spraying with dilute washing up liquid doesn't help either. The only way to keep them in check is to take the plants outside, where the rain and the hoverflies seem to keep them in check. But apart from defeating the purpose of the greenhouse, the wind blows them over which is not good.

So has anyone got any better ideas? Can you still get malathion (local garden centre doesn't have it, and I seem to recall it did the trick in the past)?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You need to use real soap flakes, like Dreft / Fairy, not washing up liquid detergent

It is soap that blocks their pores, detergent makes them clean, grease free & shiny
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah! I wondered why I was having no luck with the soapy water. I shall pootle down to the shop once the rain has stopped...
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    You need to use real soap flakes, like Dreft / Fairy, not washing up liquid detergent

It is soap that blocks their pores, detergent makes them clean, grease free & shiny

Until a couple of years ago, you could get very cheap, generic, green, own brand, washing-up liquid, which was soap rather than detergent and which was ideal for aphid control, costing in the region of 40p per litre. I've still got a bottle (from Morrisons) because a little goes a long way, but I'm not sure if you can still get this?
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Liquid soap.........
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-82431-DP+liquid+soapflakes
    Any garden chemicals on the market now are about useless.............
    I am having real problems with woolly aphid on apple trees & cotoneaster nothing but nothing kills them.
    Liquid soap sprayed on them seems to be fairly effective if used regular;y.
    Google for an insecticidal soap recipe............
    HTH
  • tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Physically squish um, do it daily over a week or so and hopefully they'll reduce. I'm having ant issues this year - they seem to be farming aphids on everything.
  • juliesname
    juliesname Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When there are too many to squish - greenfly jump off when they feel vibrations from a predator on the plant - so put a cloth/paper under the branches, tap the plant then gather up and dispose of.
  • elaineruk
    elaineruk Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried introducing ladybirds? There are some websites where you can buy them in bulk by post. I'll try to look them up and get back to you - Ladybirds love eating greenfly and they don't damage other plants as far as i know
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ladybirds are conspicuous by their absence this year, but in the polytunnel I rely on marigolds to deter both white and greenfly.

Last year, I was lax about the marigolds and punished with a hard-to-control outbreak of whitefly, and to a lesser extent , greenfly.

This year, the marigolds went in early and I've had very few problems with distorted leaves and sooty moulds......so far.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I had noticed far fewer Ladybirds - but the aphids weren't too bad, either.

Now, I can see lots of Ladybirds - but they're actually native ones, rather than Harlequins, which had almost taken over the garden in previous years.

I wonder what's happened?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family