Bloack paving and tarmac

Options
Hi,

Just had a quote for the garden work and front drive way work which is pending from almost 1 year.

The garden was not looked after when we bought the property and its a huge garden. The overall quote for all the work below is 9000£. which is breakdown in two parts front driveway and back garden.

Front
====
1) Dig the borders of existing driveway tarmac and lay the new tarmac topping by creating block paving edgings. Approximately 25 sqmts and he will lay around 30mm tarmac topping.
2) Replace the existing front gutter, create a linear drain which will take the water into the existing soak away
3) Remove the existing turf and relay the new turf which is 25 sqmts
4) Cut the existing bushes and make them look good.

All the above work for 3500£

Back
===
1) Block paving for 130 sqmts area. Create proper edging and install a water fountain(fountain supplied by us).
2) Clear the existing mess around the whole fences for garden of 80 foot and replace 3 fences.
3) Trim down, make it clean on the remaining part of the ground.
4) Trim the existing big trees on the bag around 7.

All the above work 5500£

I have two more quotes for tomorrow but appreciate if I get any feedback on the above price?

Thanks
raz

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll need planning permission for the tarmac!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    razakab wrote: »
    Front
    ====

2) Replace the existing front gutter, create a linear drain which will take the water into the existing soak away
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You'll need planning permission for the tarmac!

as this is all landscaping I'm assuming the front gutter is in front of the drive to stop any surface run-off leaving the property, in which case planning is NOT required as adequate provision has been made for drainage (to a soak away).

as for price, without a more detailed quote I cant say, but looks cheap in parts, 130sqm of paving... thats a lot for the money (supply and fit?)...
  • razakab
    razakab Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I cross verified and confirmed from the council that planning permission is not required as we are modifying the existing driveway and also keeping proper drainage.

I went ahead but agreed only as of now for the back garden work and if I am happy with it then will go with the front driveway work.

Agreed for 5k pounds for the below work.

1) clear up the 80 ft garden with all messy trees, overgrown ivy on all panels and dig the whole garden to clear all the grass, moss
    2) block paving for 100 sqmt area and grass seed the other area with block paving pathway to front and back access to the garden.
    3) clear all the rubbish.

Update on the work so far
    ================
    1) Massive transformation on first 2 days as they cleared all trees, removed 8 big trees at the back of the garden
    2) dig the whole garden with mini digger and then raked it to remove all the grass
    3) removed and cleared all rubbish almost 4 trips of lorries.
    4) Today started with making the 200mm base for block paving.

So far it looks good work but will be monitoring on the block paving on Monday.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Raz
  • SteveD1985
    Options
    Out of interest how did all the work end up? I'm a self employed landscaper and builder and I've come here to check prices to see if I'm competitive. I would say you got a very good price for the work you had done, did it all stay in budget and were you happy with it all? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure