Moving between benefits

Options
I've been getting IIDB for the last 6 years and get it 'for life', I'm also a blue-badge holder and have recently been wondering, would I be better off moving to PIP?

My IIDB benefit is in-between the standard and enhanced mobility rates.
100% debt free
House - bought and paid for
Contents - bought and paid for

:beer:
£12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PIP is paid for care and /or mobility needs and replaces DLA for those under 65 before April 2013.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • cliffandsue
    cliffandsue Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2015 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Chris_M wrote: »
    I've been getting IIDB for the last 6 years and get it 'for life', I'm also a blue-badge holder and have recently been wondering, would I be better off moving to PIP?

My IIDB benefit is in-between the standard and enhanced mobility rates.

As a matter of interest why do you say that your IIDB award falls as it does with PIP? What % rate of IIDB have you been awarded?
    The vast majority of lifetime IIDB awards both for mobility issues and mental health matters are in the range of 40%. That equates to nothing in either DLA or PIP

Secondly there is absolutely no connection real or otherwise between an IIDB award and PIP, they are totally different with totally different rules.
    And, you can be awarded PIP as well as IIDB. In fact you can have ESA, IIDB and PIP in payment. One does not affect the other.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a matter of interest why do you say that your IIDB award falls as it does with PIP? What % rate of IIDB have you been awarded?
    The vast majority of lifetime IIDB awards both for mobility issues and mental health matters are in the range of 40%. That equates to nothing in either DLA or PIP

Secondly there is absolutely no connection real or otherwise between an IIDB award and PIP, they are totally different with totally different rules.
    And, you can be awarded PIP as well as IIDB. In fact you can have ESA, IIDB and PIP in payment. One does not affect the other.

Agree that if you meet the criteria you can claim PIP as well as IIDB.

And just to add to the previous post IIDB does affect income based ESA.
  • cliffandsue
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Agree that if you meet the criteria you can claim PIP as well as IIDB.

And just to add to the previous post IIDB does affect income based ESA.
    Thanks, yes it is classed as income just the same as a pension.
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    You don't move from IIDB to PIP. IIDB is sort of a stand alone benefit as a result of an injury caused by work.

You do move from DLA to PIP at some point however ( and also keep the IIDB )

I agree with the previous posters - I am 50% IIDB but scored zero/ nought/nothing for my PIP application :) its currently on appeal at tribunal. It is MUCH harder to get PIP than IIDB.

I'm currently applying for the equivalent IIDB from my private pension scheme as well
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • cliffandsue
    Options
    densol wrote: »
    You don't move from IIDB to PIP. IIDB is sort of a stand alone benefit as a result of an injury caused by work.

That is a good point. You can get IIDB for an injury at work AND you can claim PIP for the care needs/mobility issues that that injury has created AND you can claim ESA for being too sick to work because of the injury you had at work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure