Recently disabled and now unable to use fire escape

Options
My brother lives in a mortgaged property that is in a block. My brother health has deteriorated since purchasing his property in 2002. He is virtually unable to walk. He cannot climb stairs. Thankfully the flat he bought was on ground floor.

The building he lives in has 2 fire escapes. One he could manage in an emergency. However the other escape route is up approx 8 steps which he cannot manage.

Does anyone have any idea's about who is legally responsible for my brother safety if there is a fire. Is it my brother or the company who manages the building?

I just don't know where to turn on this. Do I get our local fire fighters to come out to do a risk assessment.....I just haven't a clue.

I would appreciate any help with this......Thank you

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think your idea of asking the advice of the fire service is a good one, but utltimately I would
    have thought he would have to pay for any work to be done himself seeing as he is the owner.

Other than that, sell up and move to something more suitable.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They may be required to provide evacuation chairs on all sets of stairs, if they are they are not obliged to provide anyone to use this or to train anyone.

Our apartment block was required to provide these as there, but I don't know what the criteria is.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    They may be required to provide evacuation chairs on all sets of stairs, if they are they are not obliged to provide anyone to use this or to train anyone.

Our apartment block was required to provide these as there, but I don't know what the criteria is.

Keep in mind that if they are, the cost will be passed to leaseholders - the OP might want to look at the cost involved before upsetting his neighbours. Is it something he might want to buy himself?
  • cliffandsue
    Options
    The OP is a leaseholder as well. Owning a flat in a block does not normally mean that they own the freehold.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    if he gives on the ground floor whats the problem?
  • wardysmrs
    Options
    My brothers flat is at the rear of the building. So if there is a fire at the front of the building he's done for.

The chair is a great idea. However my brothers issue is down to his size. Therfore he'd be impossible to lift.

My brother is unable to work at present and is currently living on benefits. Nobody would consider helping him with a mortgage. He could always sell and look at renting. But his mortgage is cheaper than renting. His plans are to have bariatric surgery and return back to his job as a HGV driver as soon as possible. My brother has always worked up until 1yr ago. His health issues followed an accident at work 10 yrs ago.

I thank you all for your contributions and I am sure one way or another he will make a decision. However I still feel that a visit from our fire fighters would be a way forward
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be that the advice is to sit tight and await rescue. If he has a fire door at the entrance to his part of the block, then he should be safe behind it for a period of time.

Next question is whether he has any significant risks between him and the escape route he can manage - kitchen?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Our local Fire Brigade came out to fit new smoke alarms in my house a few years ago. My son has Down's Syndrome, and they asked me if I had any plans in place regarding escape in the case of a fire. I replied that I had, and went through the two alternatives for escaping from upstairs if it ever becomes necessary. The fireman mentioned that they have a list of vulnerable people and asked if my son could be added. I agreed - all they needed to know was that he has learning difficulties and communication problems, and which bedroom he sleeps in.

It's probably worth contacting the fire service for advice.
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please get him to contact his local fire station.
    My niece is bed bound, living and sleeping in an downstairs extension. The fire brigade came around and fitted high grade alarms free of charge. They also made an escape plan that is on their records so they are notified on route that there is a disabled person in the property and her location. They had a really good discussion with her and explained how they would go to her room window on arrival to remover her etc. this helped tremendously as she becomes stressed easily.
    They really should be his first port of call.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    if he gives on the ground floor whats the problem?

One of the ground floor exits requires tenants to climb stairs as stated in OPs post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure