Options
    thanks guys
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    QuadDee wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Does anyone actually know where it says that I must notify them regarding the house? I have looked online and can't find anything from the DWP or Government that says i must.

Humm....
    Q

With all benefits I have come across there is the catch all along the lines that you must inform them of any change of circumstances. Being gifted a house is most definitely a change of circumstances so you do need to inform the various bodies. How that property will be dealt with is down to the rules laid down around the specific benefit.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    tyler2027 wrote: »

Regardless of whether you class something as an asset or capital, its held by the same rules

You have been gifted a property.

Once you move in, it will cease to be capital.

But that's the very point.

People may not realise or think its right, but claimants can live in houses they own. They just can't: not live in the property they claim from/own others/rent them out.

The scenario you mention in the rest of your post would only apply to long-term cases ie if the OP didn't move in once it was habitable, they would be in breach for the capital gain and the asset itself both being breaches.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    With all benefits I have come across there is the catch all along the lines that you must inform them of any change of circumstances.

Yes and no.

'Change of Circs' must be reported - but it isn't a 'catch all' at all.

It's been defined over years in Tribunal cases.

Which is why 2) doesn't need to be reported.

Although I never fail to be amused that a few in the DWP and on this forum [not including you here] believe reward points or a £50 win at Cheltenham should be referred as income or capital or a change of circs. I'd love to see the DWP cope with the bureaucracy if all 2 million claimants reported such changes, weekly.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure