BT Rip off

Options
I am fuming!
Our business just had their latest bill. It it wasnt so pathetic I would laugh!
Rental 116.63
Paperbill Fee 4.00
Payment Processing Charges 18.00
Late Payment Charges 40.00
VAT 27.72
Total 206.35

So a third of the bill is totally spurious..Is it legal for BT to charge for making payments paperbills (not so long ago they were all paper so has there suddenly been a huge rise in paper on the commodity markets?) These are really their overheads so they should be absorbed in the price of the services rendered. Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel a large rip off being made and its not that it even benefits their bottom line as evidenced by their abysmal.share price so is it only done to annoy people?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most of the charges are because of choices you have made, surely.
    Get bills online
    Pay the bills on time. Save yourself a fortune
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    It must be at least 8 years since telcos manipulated the process of paying them and rode out the storm with impunity. Every other telco has these charges and apart from the occasional waiver, you are expected to pay in full for your choices not to fall in line.

By setting up a DD and opting for paper-free (you can always print their PDF) you would have saved £62.00, a discount worth having.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am fuming!
    Our business just had their latest bill. It it wasnt so pathetic I would laugh!
    Rental 116.63
    Paperbill Fee 4.00
    Payment Processing Charges 18.00
    Late Payment Charges 40.00
    VAT 27.72
    Total 206.35

So a third of the bill is totally spurious..Is it legal for BT to charge for making payments paperbills (not so long ago they were all paper so has there suddenly been a huge rise in paper on the commodity markets?) These are really their overheads so they should be absorbed in the price of the services rendered. Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel a large rip off being made and its not that it even benefits their bottom line as evidenced by their abysmal.share price so is it only done to annoy people?

As others have said, get an online bill and print it yourself if you need a paper copy,

Payment processing fee (how do you currently pay cheque, credit card ?, consider using a free or cheaper method , residential consumers may not pay a payment processing fee if paying by direct debit ,but a business accounts may have to pay something, make sure you are on the cheapest method.

late payment fees.... obviously pay on time.

VAT , hardly BT's fault.

Seems to be the way to be paying less is in your own hands
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family