Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• lanstrom
    lanstrom Posts: 204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    6 years and 4 months ago I opened a Barclays (Family Investment Prosper 1 - Stakeholder). It has had £1,818 credited to it (most of it being within the first year) and I have checked the balance today and it stands at £1,682.08 so its made a loss of £135.92 in all those years.

I know this is a long term investment and still has 10 years to run but I would expect it to at least be even-stevens at the moment (and yes I am aware of the stock crashes currently occuring).

Do you think its best to just leave it alone to 'do its thing' or is it possible to move it to something better ?

Thanks.
  • 6feet
    6feet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same question as previous person. I am in stakeholder fund for 7 years now do I leave it performing badly or cut my losses and switch to savings? There is alot in there almost £7,000 from grandparents. Should I just go away from Family Investments (santandar)?

Anyone know if the fund manager is pants?

Also instead of puting £1,000 a year into CTF we want to switch to savings so we can use for school fees and have control of money, should we do the halifx 6% and switch around??

Thanks
  • mishbha
    mishbha Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone..
    I have the same question as one of the posters - Is there any other CTF where we can move our child's existing CTF? Currently with YBS and they have dropped their interest rate by 0.7% at the end of the year to 2.3%. Please advise.
    Thanks
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mishbha wrote: »
    Hello everyone..
    I have the same question as one of the posters - Is there any other CTF where we can move our child's existing CTF? Currently with YBS and they have dropped their interest rate by 0.7% at the end of the year to 2.3%. Please advise.
    Thanks
    Google is a wonderful thing, try it sometime.........

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ChildBenefitandChildTrustFund/ChildTrustFund/SettingupaChildTrustFundaccount/DG_194855
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • mishbha
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Google is a wonderful thing, try it sometime.........

And do you think I haven't/don't? The question was basically to know if someone has been in the same situation recently and know of something from the top of the head.. And there are other polite ways to answer.. try it sometime....
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mishbha wrote: »
    And do you think I haven't/don't? The question was basically to know if someone has been in the same situation recently and know of something from the top of the head.. And there are other polite ways to answer.. try it sometime....
    ....and there are times when you can really do things yourself.

All the information you want is either in this particular thread or site, it really is not difficult to find.

Perhaps there is a relationship between politeness of response and effort expened by the OP.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • coinmogul
    Options
    Is the money collected really used for child welfare??? I don't so...
  • snowcat53
    Options
    coinmogul wrote: »
    Is the money collected really used for child welfare??? I don't so...
    Uh? If that it is not to be taken as a very stupid comment you need to explain yourself.
  • helen79
    helen79 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, I'm interested in starting to save for my 15 week old baby. I have read on here that the Halifax account is probably the best way to go.......IS this something that I can apply for online, or do I have to go in branch?

:jLoves freebies! :j
  • nuttydede
    Options
    I have 2 Ctf accounts for my children both of which is invested into a stakeholder accounts. But I am not happy with the way they are performing and considering the current climate I don't see it getting any better any time soon!! I have hung in for another year in the hope they would pick up but they haven't.
    Josh's has been running since June 2004 with the bulk of money being paid in at the beginning then topped up every month by £10. In total £1,006 has been paid in over the 7 years but current value is only £946.95.
    Jaz's has been running since Sept 2008 and is doing a bit better. £960 has been paid in and balance is £1,100.28.
    The other half of their money is invested into P.O. children's bonds which I am happyish. Is the Yorkshire building society still the best for interest rates, don't want to risk my children's money any more. Also is the government still paying the £250 at the 7th birthday or has that stopped, my son was 7 in June. Thanks for any advice!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback