Sealy Posturepedic Ultra matress

Options
Hi all,

Could be a difficult one this but wondering where we stand. My parents bought some furniture from a store in Worthing which has since gone bust (John Perring & Co) One of the items was Sealy Posturepedic Ultra Luxury Supreme mattress (what a mouthful!) It is around 8 years old now. After purchasing there was a problem with the bed & after getting somebody to inspect it the mattress was exchanged. As far as I know the proof of purchase was given to the company for reason of exchange. We never got that proof back & soon after the company went bust. The mattress itself has a 10 year warranty on it. Having contacted Sealy they simply do not want to know without proof of purchase. They fully admit that the mattress was manufactured between 2005 & 2008. They still do not want to know without proof of purchase, which we cannot give them as the shop went bust! One of the customer service agents also rather snottily said "mattresses should be changed after 8 years any for hygiene purposes" We have no way of proving when the bed was purchased but it was definitely at the later end of the manufacturing cycle as the shop went bust shortly after purchase (around 1 year iirc). Do we have a leg to stand on? Can this be taken further or is it time to admit defeat? Many thanks for any help/advice given.

Anthony

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Admit defeat. Any consumer rights would have been against the seller and as they've gone bust, not to mention you're out of time anyway given it's 8 years since you bought it you've got no legal redress. The manufacturer can set any terms they wish with regards their warranty incl seeking an original receipt/proof of purchase.
  • Sofitos
    Sofitos Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Do you remember how you paid for this matress? By card or cash? If by card you can try to find this transaction in bank statements.

What do you want: replace 8 years old matress because warranty is 10 years? What 's wrong with matress and whether your case falls under the warranty?
    May be it is better no to waste a time and buy a new one? IMHO
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a bank or credit card statement as this would also qualify as proof of purchase - unless Sealy insist on a receipt.
  • barkingmad15
    Options
    I was wondering if that were the case. It was just the attitude at customer services that got my back up! Many thanks for the advice
  • barkingmad15
    Options
    Sorry Softios just seen your reply! The mattress has collapsed springs on both sides leaving a bad dip in the bed. No way of finding proof of purchase as it was bought on a loan agreement which was (I think) by Lloyds at the time but they passed it on to somebody else & so on. I think once it was paid up the papers were disposed of.
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just buy a new bed, it's not worth the time or effort.

Chances are even if you can find proof of purchase Sealy will turn round and say fair wear and tear.

If it was a warranty they usually mean that the longer you have a product the more you'd pay for a replacement on a sliding scale. So chances are you'd still end up paying 80% of a new one. Too many if's but's and maybes to invest time and effort into.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ).Do we have a leg to stand on?
    No, and only an old bed to lie on :D
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sofitos wrote: »
    Do you remember how you paid for this matress? By card or cash? If by card you can try to find this transaction in bank statements.
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Do you have a bank or credit card statement as this would also qualify as proof of purchase - unless Sealy insist on a receipt.
    I was wondering if that were the case. It was just the attitude at customer services that got my back up! Many thanks for the advice

As said in post #2 ... any legal rights were against the seller. As the seller has ceased trading (and any legal claim may be statute barred after 6 years anyway) then any warranty rights are subject to the warranty terms (that were in force at the time of sale) stated by the manufacturer. If this requires an original receipt then ......
  • barkingmad15
    Options
    No, and only an old bed to lie on :D

LMFAO

Many thanks for the advice. The concencus is chuck it & buy a new :) Another busted matress for Victor Meldrew's skip! :T
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    OP is trying to get a freebie! After 8 years that mattress must be rotten no wonder it collapsed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure