PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Removing Ex from mortgage

Options

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    You are delightful, I wonder why he left.....

Whilst he is on your mortgage he will probably be unable to get another one of any value.

Take him off the mortgage if the mortgage company won't let you sell the house pay off the mortgage.
  • Mancgirl
    Mancgirl Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    That's very rude. There is no need for that!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mancgirl wrote: »
    Why is the onus on me? It is a joint mortgage, one that we both signed for. He decided to leave and agreed that I should stay in the house. Now he wants out and now it's my problem?? How does that work
    Oh good grief! You really want it all don't you?

He may be an ex, and you may have 'issues', but time has passed, you've both moved on, and you need to disentangle your finances and resolve this.
    The onus is on you because you are the one living in this house, not him. You are paying the mortgage, not him. So the mortgage should be in your name, not his.

Whether he can force the lender to remove his name, via the courts or some other way, or not, it will be far easier if you do it.

How you do it is up to you to resolve.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why is the onus on me? It is a joint mortgage, one that we both signed for. He decided to leave and agreed that I should stay in the house. Now he wants out and now it's my problem?? How does that work

What was the agreement when the TOE was made? That's a question you haven't answered.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot afford the mortgage on my own and myself and my new partner have poor credit so doubt we would pass the credit check to put my new partner on it.
    You had a partner with enough income for a mortgage, and you have swapped him for a partner who is otherwise nicer, but without enough income for a mortgage.
    I'd guess that your new partner could perhaps earn enough : but that would mean long hours, in a hard / stressful job, with less time for a happy relationship with you. Conversely, if your ex- had taken a less demanding job, he would have been a better partner, and perhaps you wouldn't have split up.

I think you are being unfair on your ex- ; whatever you do, he needs a chance at his own life.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

You don't say whether or not you were married to your ex.

But had you been married, the bog standard clause in the consent order for the divorce would have said something like, X agrees to pay Y £x for their share of the equity, and to use their 'best endeavours' to release Y from the mortgage.

So what you have to do is to try and remortage the property. If your lender or any alternative says 'no', then you have done what you can.

It's not your problem. The onus is not on you. The mortgage was a contract entered into by you, your ex, and your lender. All three parties need to consent to any change.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He sounds like he's been very generous. Now he wats tomove on with his life, perhaps applying for a mortgage of his own, you should facilitate that.
    Indeed, I expect he was being kind to you OP UNTIL you got another man to move in and benefit from what he is allowing you to keep. It's one thing helping you, it's another helping a guy who has financial problems.

I bet he is kicking himself now for wanting to be nice to you as you clearly not appreciating one bit what he's done and somehow still think he should be looking after you. Why?

You can't have it both way, the house that you are only able to keep thanks to your ex and the new boyfriend.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you no morals? I don't care what the law says or what your past is, it's completely unethical to keep him tied to a mortgage after you've removed his interest in the house.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your ex is an idjut (maybe well meaning but still an idjut) and is probably stuffed though it may be possible he could successfully sue on the grounds you are a acting unfairly to his detriment since he's lumbered with your mortgage, amd can't get his own. Meanwhile you and uncrediworthy new bf sponge on his foolishness.

The fact you can't afford the mortgage by yourself or with uncreditworthy bf shouldn't be his problem. But it is..
  • Anon2017
    Anon2017 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure why people are bashing the original poster. Doesn't sound like she held a gun to her ex's head. If he didn't insist he was taken off the mortgage, that's his problem. The guy is clearly stupid and its come back to bite him.
    Unfortunately the moral thing to do would be to sell the house if you can't afford the mortgage on your own as its unfair to leave him on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure