2»

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:19PM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    If "hubby" can get the motor out then it should be pretty easy (and inexpensive) for him to replace the carbon brushes.
    Assuming that it is the brushes (more than likely) and not the actual commutator that is broken as stated in the opening post.
    Even if it is the brushes, these should wear down fairly slowly and if they are actually broken then there must be other damage that caused this to happen.
    Personally, I would stick to trying to get a repair out of Currys or the manufacturer and only if this failed, then get hubby to try a repair.
    If there is damage to the motor, there are quite a few small businesses who will either repair it or do a unit exchange.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Going by the OP's description it doesn't sound like the commutator. With regards to wear I suppose it comes down to how much the machine gets used. I replaced the brushes on my Bosch after 10 years but then I only used it once a week. If the OP has a family and is using the machine often with multiple loads I can see the brushes wearing out fairly quickly.

What you don't want is to have to spend £119 for an engineer's visit only to be told the fault is down to excessive wear & tear, especially when you pick up a set of rbushes for £15 and sort the problem yourself.
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    There was no need for me to respond to the OP as the answers were already given, so anything I said would simply be an unnecessary duplication, which is what your response was.

and you felt it was your moral duty to point this out.....................
  • wogglesmum
    Options
    Just an update incase anyone is interested...

I paid the £119 as I couldn't find a replacement motor for less than £135. They arranged to come the following day with the replacement parts. The engineer who came agreed that it was a manufacturing fault (bits had sheared off the commutator destroying one of the brushes completely) and replaced the motor. I was called today to arrange a refund of my £119. Actually can't fault what has happened. :)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wogglesmum wrote: »
    Just an update incase anyone is interested...

I paid the £119 as I couldn't find a replacement motor for less than £135. They arranged to come the following day with the replacement parts. The engineer who came agreed that it was a manufacturing fault (bits had sheared off the commutator destroying one of the brushes completely) and replaced the motor. I was called today to arrange a refund of my £119. Actually can't fault what has happened. :)

Thanks for coming back. The fact they found an inherent fault means you should and did, quite rightly, get the report fee back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure